Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Colors not matching between main timeline and fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

HTSoccer00$

Colors not matching between main timeline and fusion

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 12:01 am

Im new to fusion and trying to get my colors to match between my timeline and fusion page. This way my color adjustments made in the color tab are reflected in both the main timeline viewer and fusion page. I use aces, not sure if this is affecting anything. But in the two images I have uploaded you will see my highlights are much brighter in the fusion tab than they are in the timeline. Is there some kind of fusion node that would allow me to match with my timeline grade? Any insight would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Image 1-14-24 at 6.11 PM 2.jpg
Image 1-14-24 at 6.11 PM 2.jpg (401.57 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Image 1-14-24 at 6.11 PM.jpg
Image 1-14-24 at 6.11 PM.jpg (489.63 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

HTSoccer00$

Re: Colors not matching between main timeline and fusion

PostFri Jan 19, 2024 8:11 pm

A response from someone would be much appreciated!!

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jan 19, 2024 9:10 pm

Since you're new to the forum not all posts come through immediately.
I hadn't seen your post yet. Color management between Fusion and the timeline is a well known bag of worms, that I still haven't gotten the hang of myself, so I don't feel comfortable giving you advice on this subject. There have been quite a lot of posts about it on this forum. Did the search option, give you anything useful?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Olivier MATHIEU

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 1:20 pm

Are you using any color management in your project's "color science" ?
if so I recommend to watch : https://mixinglight.com/color-grading-t ... ide-gamut/
It covers some aspect of the issue
I wish strongly that BlackMagicDesign take care of it ;)
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Olivier MATHIEU

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 1:04 pm

Resolve 19 has solve this issue, I think
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Frank Engel

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:53 am

I'm not sure this is entirely practical.

Color page processing happens after Fusion page processing.

On the Fusion page, your preview areas could show the output of any arbitrary node - it is not tied to what is shown on the timeline on the Edit page.

This means that what you show in the preview area may be 100% unrelated to what is shown on the Edit page and the color grade from the Color page may be completely inappropriate to what you are previewing.

Particularly if you have any secondary grades in place, attempting to apply the Color page grade to an arbitrary node's output can actually make it harder to follow what is happening at some point in the composition, as it could distort your understanding of a mask you are creating, or of what might be feeding into some other node.

If this were to be implemented, it should be limited to being applied only when previewing the MediaOut node, and even then I'm not too sure.

Incidentally, you can have more than one MediaOut node, and each of them feeds one of the inputs along the left side of the node graph on the Color page, which can be rewired in the Color page much as nodes can be rewired in the Fusion page, so even with a MediaOut node selected there is no guarantee that the output of that node will translate to the image that is displayed on the Edit page, and it is possible to composite multiple such outputs using the Color page as well, so showing the grade output may give an incorrect perspective when looking at the MediaOut node also.

The MediaOut node represents what is being fed INTO the Color page, not what is coming out of it.

Return to Fusion