Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolution of a Still/Picture

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Olivier MATHIEU

Resolution of a Still/Picture

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 12:38 pm

In Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 on Mac

I'm working in fusion on 6144x3240 clip
I drag a Still/Picture from the media pool to the node graph
and load it in the viewer. it shows it has the same resolution as the clip
But the true resolution of the Still/Picture is 3508x2481
Am I mad ?
Can someone reproduce this ?
I tried many Still format (EXR, PNG, JPG200, TIFF) .. same result
Any explanation ?
Thanks in advance
EDIT
this is more serious than I thought, It also change the Still Ratio to the clip ratio :o
EDIT again
If I create a fusion comp and I drag a Still/Picture from the media pool to the node graph
and load it in the viewer. It shows it has the same resolution as the timeline (4096x2160)
Last edited by Olivier MATHIEU on Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Sander de Regt

Re: Resolution of a Still/Picture

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 1:11 pm

And how do you know the true resolution? Is that what it reports in the finder? What is the resolution according to the Media Pool?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 1:14 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:And how do you know the true resolution? Is that what it reports in the finder? What is the resolution according to the Media Pool?

Yes it's a resolution in the finder and the media pool
Can you reproduce it ?
I've edited the OP : another issue ➧ Ratio
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 1:22 pm

May-be an explanation
The media-In created when dragging the Still/picture has some inspector properties
The clip name is not the still/picture media pool name's but the actual working clip (in the timeline)
It seems weird to me, doesn't it ?
MacbookPro M2 Max

Sander de Regt

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 pm

It may be weird. It may also not be weird. Can you show us a couple of screenshots?
There are settings that dictate whether or not images get squashed or stretched to fit on the timeline.
But I thought these were Edit Page settings. I haven't worked with images this large, so it could be a factor? If you resize them to be close to 4K in size (not aspect ratio) does that make a difference?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 3:11 pm

I'm currently working on a commercial and I can't disclose any footage.
I'll take some time to reproduce it with other footages and Still and post somme screen shots
thanks
MacbookPro M2 Max

Sander de Regt

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 3:42 pm

Does it also happen with a white jpg of that resolution. That should be fine NDA wise, wouldn't it?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 3:54 pm

I didn’t try jpg. Because the still has alpha (I didn’t mention it)
MacbookPro M2 Max

KrunoSmithy

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Fusion is technically speaking resolution agnostic, or independent per se. Anything generated natively in Fusion can be resolution independent, although there is a concept of so called reference resolution. Meaning that if you want use some kind of fixed pixel dimensions for compositing reasons or matching size of imported elements to the ones generated in fusion you can use reference resolution. Most nodes have this setting, most notably the background node. But is just there to be a placeholder and used as reference for other nodes.

When you import images into Fusion or media it will have obviously the native resolution of the clip or image, and if you scale something up beyond native resolution it will degrade in quality. Obviously. However you can scale up to lower size and than back up, as long as you don't use nodes to change resolution of the original clip, you will be fine. Its none destructive, like smart objects in Photoshop.

When you import something from edit page, into fusion page, or drag something from media pool or loaded it into fusion page via drag and drop or loader node, it will retain original resolution of the clip or image, but inside the fusion page, in the merge node, whatever your background is will keep the primacy over the foreground. So if you connect the 6144x3240 clip as background and merge on top the 3508x2481 as foreground, fusion will keep 6144x3240 of the background as your "canvas" and merge whatever you add as foreground on top but background input will be primary info for size.

If you press CTRL + T or right mouse click on the node to choose "swap items" or inputs of background and foreground than it will be reverse, but background input only defines non permanent canvas, it does not change the resolution of any of the inputs, unless you use nodes like "resize, scale etc" to specifically change resolution of original clips.

If you want Edit page "timeline" resolution and all effects to remain the same when you go to fusion, you can restrict that by using "fusion comp" as you have noticed. Otherwise, the resolution of anything in Fusion will be pulled from the media pull and original clip/image.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:Fusion is technically speaking resolution agnostic, or independent per se. Anything generated natively in Fusion can be resolution independent, although there is a concept of so called reference resolution. Meaning that if you want use some kind of fixed pixel dimensions for compositing reasons or matching size of imported elements to the ones generated in fusion you can use reference resolution. Most nodes have this setting, most notably the background node. But is just there to be a placeholder and used as reference for other nodes.

When you import images into Fusion or media it will have obviously the native resolution of the clip or image, and if you scale something up beyond native resolution it will degrade in quality. Obviously. However you can scale up to lower size and than back up, as long as you don't use nodes to change resolution of the original clip, you will be fine. Its none destructive, like smart objects in Photoshop.

When you import something from edit page, into fusion page, or drag something from media pool or loaded it into fusion page via drag and drop or loader node, it will retain original resolution of the clip or image, but inside the fusion page, in the merge node, whatever your background is will keep the primacy over the foreground. So if you connect the 6144x3240 clip as background and merge on top the 3508x2481 as foreground, fusion will keep 6144x3240 of the background as your "canvas" and merge whatever you add as foreground on top but background input will be primary info for size.

If you press CTRL + T or right mouse click on the node to choose "swap items" or inputs of background and foreground than it will be reverse, but background input only defines non permanent canvas, it does not change the resolution of any of the inputs, unless you use nodes like "resize, scale etc" to specifically change resolution of original clips.

If you want Edit page "timeline" resolution and all effects to remain the same when you go to fusion, you can restrict that by using "fusion comp" as you have noticed. Otherwise, the resolution of anything in Fusion will be pulled from the media pull and original clip/image.

Thanks
I know all that .. I teach those fusion concepts ;) ..
But my issue in the OP remains
Thanks again
MacbookPro M2 Max

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am

Here are somme screenshot of the issue
SCR-20240419-hggr.png
Elements Specs
SCR-20240419-hggr.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 1927 times

SCR-20240419-hhmo.png
Watch the resolution in Viewers
SCR-20240419-hhmo.png (246.48 KiB) Viewed 1927 times

It changes the resolution (Ratio also :?: )
MacbookPro M2 Max

KrunoSmithy

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am

Hmm. I've tried to replicate it myself and I don't get unexpected behaviour as you do. So I'm not sure what is causing it.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 am

Thanks I’ll try on another computer if it’s hardware related !!
MacbookPro M2 Max

KrunoSmithy

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am

Olivier MATHIEU wrote:Thanks I’ll try on another computer if it’s hardware related !!

Could be maybe version of something, software related, do you have some third party plug ins or scripts or something installed on that version of resolve? Or could be a bug. I tried to replicate it now seeing your nodes with various methods, and short of wanting it to make it like that by using a background node, I works for me as intended. Sorry.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

1. I exported an archive on my project from my Computer
  2. I restore the Archive on another computer With Resolve 19 ➧ Same Issue
  3. I start a new project from scratch on the other computer With Resolve 19 ➧ No issue :o
  4. I start a new project from scratch My computer With Resolve 18.6.6 ➧Same issue :?:
It seem hardware related : My computer is MacBookPro M2 MAX 32GB with MacOS 13.6.x
What are the Spec of your hardware ?
Thanks
MacbookPro M2 Max

KrunoSmithy

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 pm

Olivier MATHIEU wrote:
  1. I exported an archive on my project from my Computer
  2. I restore the Archive on another computer With Resolve 19 ➧ Same Issue
  3. I start a new project from scratch on the other computer With Resolve 19 ➧ No issue :o
  4. I start a new project from scratch My computer With Resolve 18.6.6 ➧Same issue :?:
It seem hardware related : My computer is MacBookPro M2 MAX 32GB with MacOS 13.6.x
What are the Spec of your hardware ?
Thanks

Hmm. That's strange. Hardware issue. Oh well. My specs for the test were very old.

Windows 10 Pro 64.bit
Intel Core i5 3470 3.20 GHz
16 GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

I did have DaVinci Resolve 18.6.3, not the 18.6.6. Maybe its related to that version of Resolve, or operating system. Or maybe its related to RED file format. I can't say. I can say that I've never had that kind of issue with any version of resolve.

sshot-3769.jpg
sshot-3769.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 1838 times

Olivier MATHIEU

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 pm

May be it’s due to the resolutions
I’ll give a try with the same resolution as yours …
Thanks
EDIT
I tried with Smaller resolutions and ProRes File
Same Issue
MacbookPro M2 Max

Return to Fusion