Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Generate HDRI map of outer space in Fusion Studio?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mixolydian

Generate HDRI map of outer space in Fusion Studio?

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 am

I've been working on a learning project in Blender for the past two months, which is just a starship and space. The space HDRI map is 16K and I found it online. It's very high quality, but I'm still not too convinced about the stars. They seem a bit too big and too close together.

So I would like to generate my own map, whether it's a texture for a sphere mesh, or a particle system with just white dots. But I'm just starting to do research, so I wanted to see if this is possible in Fusion Studio 19 beta. I would be fine rendering the background in Fusion as well, but the cameras are constrained to different things in the scene, so I'm not sure I can export to an FBX and it would come just fine into Fusion. So if Fusion can do the HDRI, I may have to create it in Fusion and export it to Blender.

So if creating an HDRI map in Fusion is possible, please give me a push in the right direction.

Sander de Regt

Re: Generate HDRI map of outer space in Fusion Studio?

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 2:46 pm

If you're working in 32 bit color space you can make images with very high dynamic range, so it's definitely possible to create these kind of images. If you save them as EXRs you can use those inside of Blender as HDRIs. I'm not 100% sure, but maybe HDRIs are an option in Fusion's saver as well. But using EXRs will be fine as well.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Kel Philm

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm

I have worked on a few projects with stars in the night sky and I know what you mean about stars being to big, all the HDRI's I looked at were unusable. I think its because they over expose them to get additional nebulae type information and the stars then kind of blow out. Stars are quite difficult to get 100% right and can look really bad if resolution is not high enough as they start to disappear and reappear due to sampling methods when they move. The prob with spherical equirectangular images that they usually compress all the resolution at the top and bottom which is often where you don't want/need it. From memory I made one created in blender using particles to project onto an icosphere and imported that into fusion, I also mixed in a space HDRI where the stars were barely visible, and I think did something to choke or key them out so I got some nice nebulae sort of stuff going on. Might not be the case for deep space but I also ran a noise operation over the stars so they sort of pulse a bit, I assume this is due to various atmospherics(?) that the light rays pass through on their journey.

KrunoSmithy

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 am

Some good stuff here: [ FUSION BREAKDOWNS ] - 02 Starship Flyby (English)

Mixolydian

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 am

Sander de Regt wrote:If you're working in 32 bit color space you can make images with very high dynamic range, so it's definitely possible to create these kind of images. If you save them as EXRs you can use those inside of Blender as HDRIs. I'm not 100% sure, but maybe HDRIs are an option in Fusion's saver as well. But using EXRs will be fine as well.

Thanks, Sander, but I think you misundertood me. I wasn't talking about the render format, but rather, can you create a 3D scene with some particle system or whatever that would simulate space, and then export that as some interchangeable format, probably FBX, that will open in Blender. I mean, if that's at all possible and if it is, if it's relatively easy to do.

Mixolydian

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 am

Kel Philm wrote:I have worked on a few projects with stars in the night sky and I know what you mean about stars being to big, all the HDRI's I looked at were unusable. I think its because they over expose them to get additional nebulae type information and the stars then kind of blow out. Stars are quite difficult to get 100% right and can look really bad if resolution is not high enough as they start to disappear and reappear due to sampling methods when they move. The prob with spherical equirectangular images that they usually compress all the resolution at the top and bottom which is often where you don't want/need it. From memory I made one created in blender using particles to project onto an icosphere and imported that into fusion, I also mixed in a space HDRI where the stars were barely visible, and I think did something to choke or key them out so I got some nice nebulae sort of stuff going on. Might not be the case for deep space but I also ran a noise operation over the stars so they sort of pulse a bit, I assume this is due to various atmospherics(?) that the light rays pass through on their journey.

Thanks Kel, I think maybe because of the title it's a bit difficult for my point to come across. What I'm looking to achieve is not exactly generate a texture, but rather a particle system that will only be turned into a 2D picture when it's rendered from the camera's point of view. For example, if I were to generate that particle system in Fusion, the advantage is that I could composite it as the background and the render of the starship as the foreground, applying filters in Resolve, if the particles can be generated in the Fusion page, or if not, render it from Fusion Studio to an EXR sequence, then bring it into Resolve.

However, if I were to generate the system in Blender, I guess I can render the EXR sequence in it and bring that into Resolve as well.

My goal is to find out which option is easier and looks better to generate those particles, Fusion or Blender?

Sander de Regt

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am

Ah... since you started with the subject 'generate HDRI map' I figured you wanted to generate a HDRI map, so that's what my feedback was aimed at.

In this case I would try to generate the stars where you're doing your 3D work.
So if that's Blender, by all means use Blender's particles for this. It will be more than sufficient.
Just make sure that your stars are actually overbright, this is what will keep them visibile when using motion blur.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion