Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion sequences come out with a much darker gamma

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

janste

Fusion sequences come out with a much darker gamma

PostSat May 11, 2024 9:10 pm

Hello everyone, I'm editing a clip in DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro M1 Max RAM 64GB / Ventura 13.6.4
I have a few green screen scenes that I keyed in Fusion.

And I have an output problem on these sequences, whether I do an EXR or use the shot in Edit, in visualization via the Clean Feed everything is fine, the sequences are calibrated perfectly.
But when I export the clip, the Fusion sequences come out with a much darker gamma than the calibration.
And this only on Fusion plans.
I work with a colorist and we set the color management parameters as follows:
Color science DaVinci Yrgb
Timeline DaVinci WG / DaVinci intermediate
Output color space Rec.709 / gamma 2.4
The dark gamma remains on the images and I have to release the clip tomorrow.

It's a disaster, and I really need help
thanks in advance

Pieter Van Houte

Re: Fusion sequences come out with a much darker gamma

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:16 am

I see topic upon topic upon topic about Fusion clips not matching with Resolve etc.

Colour is so important, so complex, and yet so simple to control with the right tools.

Will all of you who use Resolve or Fusion at any level above hobby, start using Fusion Standalone please?

Total control over colour, resolution, frame numbers, EVERYTHING. For 400 dollars for a LIFETIME. No but rly rly.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your delivery, I've never used Resolve that way but I know about colour - so frustrating. You are keying though. Do NOT do that in Resolve if it's a professional VFX shot, seriously.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

KrunoSmithy

PostSun May 12, 2024 1:18 am

janste wrote:Hello everyone, I'm editing a clip in DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro M1 Max RAM 64GB / Ventura 13.6.4
I have a few green screen scenes that I keyed in Fusion.

And I have an output problem on these sequences, whether I do an EXR or use the shot in Edit, in visualization via the Clean Feed everything is fine, the sequences are calibrated perfectly.
But when I export the clip, the Fusion sequences come out with a much darker gamma than the calibration.
And this only on Fusion plans.
I work with a colorist and we set the color management parameters as follows:
Color science DaVinci Yrgb
Timeline DaVinci WG / DaVinci intermediate
Output color space Rec.709 / gamma 2.4
The dark gamma remains on the images and I have to release the clip tomorrow.

It's a disaster, and I really need help
thanks in advance

Fusion is expected to work with linear gamma, which looks darker so that could be the thing you are seeing, Its possible that if you are using EXR that was rendered from a 3D software is linear or is interpreted as linear.

If you are using. DaVinci YRGB color science: DaVinci Resolve’s original color science, in which you manage all and any color transforms from one color space to another manually, using either LUTs or manual adjustments. ....

Here is what I would suggest.

Work normally in edit and color page. When you go to Fusion page after Media in. drop CST node. Color Space Transform node to convert from DaVinci WG / DaVinci intermediate to either DaVinci WG or Rec 709 for Gamut and Linear for gamma.

Work in fusion as you normally would. And before mediaout node, drop a copy of CST node. Color Space Transform node and simply use swap button to reverse it back to how you imported. That way you will convert whatever you are using in edit page to linear gamma and work in fusion as intended, than before you send it back to color or edit page, you can use CST node again to revert back to in your case DaVinci WG / DaVinci intermediate. And than in delivery page Rec.709 / gamma 2.4.

When you do this process, the image will look darker in the viewers in Fusion probably or depending on the footage, might be lighter. For this we have so called viewer luts. These are luts that let us see how the image should look while in the node tree Fusion is using linear.

You can look into manual to see about all this in more details or if you have the time... here is a tutorial.

P.S.

Once you learn what to do and how to do it, its super easy to use Fusion page and get consistent results.

janste

PostSun May 12, 2024 6:22 am

thanks à lot ;)

KrunoSmithy

PostSun May 12, 2024 11:45 am

janste wrote:thanks à lot ;)

No problem.

Here is another tip if you work with similar source footage and do common conversions. You can always save a collection of easily accessible view luts to be always handy, and also if you use CST node in fusion for similar conversions all the time. Once you set it up once, right click on the node, settings, "save as default" and place a shortcut of the CST in the toolbar. After that any new footage coming in fusion page. Only requires one click on the shortcut and you are set to go and for output you can just copy the same node and click "swap" button. That is how I work. Its usually one click operation for any footage in fusion , so it becomes really quick and convenient.

Return to Fusion