Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Mac version

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Margus Voll

Mac version

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Any developments?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Johnny Farmfield

Re: Mac version

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Fusion 8 will be released for all platforms, Windows, OSX and Linux. No big news on features, though.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Margus Voll

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 5:37 pm

I meant timetable?
Margus Voll, CSI

Chad Capeland

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Margus Voll wrote:I meant timetable?

Long before the new Mac Pro comes out, so you can feel confident purchasing the current model.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Johnny Farmfield

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:

Long before the new Mac Pro comes out, so you can feel confident purchasing the current model.

As The New Mac Pro was released two years ago, we will assume you mean the New New Mac Pro. But no matter what, the New New Mac Pro will likely be way better than the old New Mac Pro. :D
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Jeff Ha

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 7:18 am

I'd hope a new fruit-themed PC is faster than a 2 year old fruit-themed PC (still sold as "new" with a price to match).

I saw Resolve 12B1 was just posted.. exciting!

Margus Voll

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 7:25 am

I'm looking forward for the day when Fusion and Resolve could talk to each other or even
live under one skin.

Just wanted to make a start with fusion and i currently have only mac's.

Fusion reminds me a lot of Shake.
Margus Voll, CSI

Johnny Farmfield

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 8:22 am

From a customer perspective, Apple is an absolutely horrible vendor, they won't inform you about updates or progress on new versions (be it software or hardware) and they seem way more into what they can do and not what they should do. Conan did an awesome segment on this a couple of years back...

Chad Capeland

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Margus Voll wrote:I'm looking forward for the day when Fusion and Resolve could talk to each other or even
live under one skin.

I dunno about the latter, would Resolve users want to see the UI change that much?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Margus Voll

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 1:49 pm

What i mean is that if they talk fluently that would be also fine but for current perspective
as editing is now big new thing in Resolve and audio editing then VFX would just be logical step.

We here as small post house do all out production, editing, sound and vfx stuff it would make great sense.
Margus Voll, CSI

Chad Capeland

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Margus Voll wrote:What i mean is that if they talk fluently that would be also fine but for current perspective
as editing is now big new thing in Resolve and audio editing then VFX would just be logical step.

We here as small post house do all out production, editing, sound and vfx stuff it would make great sense.

Some workflow like Connection or Generation would make sense. Sharing much else probably would not.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Lee Gauthier

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 12:15 am

I look forward to BMD doing something like Adobe's Dynamic Linking. You'd have a shot in your Resolve timeline, right-click it, and Fusion would open with the footage loaded into it. Once you got done in Fusion, you click a button and you're back in Resolve, and the result of your Fusion work has replaced the original shot.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 1:33 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:I look forward to BMD doing something like Adobe's Dynamic Linking. You'd have a shot in your Resolve timeline, right-click it, and Fusion would open with the footage loaded into it. Once you got done in Fusion, you click a button and you're back in Resolve, and the result of your Fusion work has replaced the original shot.

That's how Connection and Generation work now, so the concept is there already. It would have to be added explicitly to Resolve, since Resolve doesn't have scripting or external control, whereas in Fusion everything you need is already there (and has been for years).
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Remco johannes

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 9:23 am

Chad Capeland wrote:
Lee Gauthier wrote:I look forward to BMD doing something like Adobe's Dynamic Linking. You'd have a shot in your Resolve timeline, right-click it, and Fusion would open with the footage loaded into it. Once you got done in Fusion, you click a button and you're back in Resolve, and the result of your Fusion work has replaced the original shot.

That's how Connection and Generation work now, so the concept is there already. It would have to be added explicitly to Resolve, since Resolve doesn't have scripting or external control, whereas in Fusion everything you need is already there (and has been for years).

I think i wouild be cool to have in resolve a "fusion node" that can load a fuse that have 2D in & outputs.
akin to a ofx node, but only for fuses.
So you can make a specialized blur,glow or something like a muzzle flash and the like in fusion and use it in resolve.

Remco
Last edited by Remco johannes on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suchuāto Ritoru

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Johnny Farmfield wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:

As The New Mac Pro was released two years ago, we will assume you mean the New New Mac Pro. But no matter what, the New New Mac Pro will likely be way better than the old New Mac Pro. :D

There will be no new mac pro's the line is dead.

Suchuāto Ritoru

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Johnny Farmfield wrote:From a customer perspective, Apple is an absolutely horrible vendor, they won't inform you about updates or progress on new versions (be it software or hardware) and they seem way more into what they can do and not what they should do. Conan did an awesome segment on this a couple of years back...

Oh the irony of that piece. want to beat they don't use Premier anymore?

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Suchuāto Ritoru wrote:There will be no new mac pro's the line is dead.

Hehe, we know Suchuāto, it's been clear for years that Apple have little interest in the pro market, that's why I dropped them after 20 years, back in 2009.

The instant BMD announced they were going to port Fusion to Mac I thought it unreasonable, though I imagine the difference in time spent porting Fusion to Mac or Linux - or both, as is the case now - is negligible, the big problem is rewriting the Windows based GUI stuff, not adapting the software to two different *nix based systems.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Remco johannes wrote:I think i wouild be cool to have in resolve a "fusion node" that can load a fuse that have 2D in & outputs.

That would imply that Resolve would get scripting, which is probably an even bigger benefit. :)
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

marccollet

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Oh...so I should be sorry for ordering a mac pro yesterday? Hmmm...I hope not...it was quite an investment

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Suchuāto Ritoru wrote: There will be no new mac pro's the line is dead.

I dunno. It's a good halo product. Even if they don't sell well, they make every other mac look more "professional" by association. There's value in that.

VW didn't sell many Phaetons, but they did sell a lot of Passats.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:44 pm

marccollet wrote:Oh...so I should be sorry for ordering a mac pro yesterday? Hmmm...I hope not...it was quite an investment

Yeah, sorry. The GPU in it is 3.5 years old and the CPU is 3 years old. One of the GPU's won't even get used by Fusion at all. So you'll have one slow GPU and one bored GPU.

Recent Resolve benchmarks (where, unlike Fusion, both GPU's will be used) show the D700 Mac Pro getting clobbered by midrange Windows machines with gaming cards. Heck, it gets beat by the old Mac Pro tower upgraded with GTX 980's.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

marccollet

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Damn...now I am sad :-(

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:47 pm

marccollet wrote:Damn...now I am sad :-(

Cancel your order. There's still time. :)
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

marccollet

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 2:47 pm

To late..payed already...built-to-order cannot be cancelled. I have to deal with it now.

Jeff Ha

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

marccollet wrote:To late..payed already...built-to-order cannot be cancelled. I have to deal with it now.

seems to be the sentiment now in the Mac community. I feel your pain. I have to use one of those trashcan mac pros at one site. it wasn't worth the cost, but this is a "mac shop". :(

I'm just hoping the Mac dev doesn't drag down the overall development of Fusion 8 and beyond. Can't wait for the pub beta!

marccollet

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 3:30 pm

I am a fan of mac os x and I hope the power brings me at least a smooth 4k render and edit. Fingers crossed ...

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Jeff Ha wrote:I'm just hoping the Mac dev doesn't drag down the overall development of Fusion 8 and beyond. Can't wait for the pub beta!

That's a choice for BMD. If they insist on feature parity, then yeah, it's an anchor. If they say that the platforms will have the best features applicable, then no, it won't matter, so long as they provide the development resources.

So far, on this forum, BMD has said that they will do the former, not the latter, but that can change.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 5:44 pm

marccollet wrote:I am a fan of mac os x and I hope the power brings me at least a smooth 4k render and edit. Fingers crossed ...

Don't listen to these [insert favorite insult here], they're just feeding you a bunch of grumpy speculation about a company that they obviously despise for whatever reason. Plus don't forget that you're in a part of the forum that is the exclusive domain of Windows users right now, so the info you're getting is heavily tilted toward the Mac-hating side.

I think you will be plenty happy with your new Mac Pro (I assume you got at least the 6-core model with a decent amount of RAM and the better GPU). I know plenty of pros around here who use the "canister" Mac Pro to do amazing work and they are all very happy with their computer. Further, Mac OS X is and continues to be a damn solid operating system.

For all the hate against Apple and OS X, just go and hang out on enough PC forums and you'll discover all too quickly that the grass is most definitely not greener on the other side.

Having said that, for my needs I decided that I preferred to build myself a Hackintosh rather than pay about $8k for an equivalent Mac Pro. I'm happy with my decision and it has allowed me to expand my system as I see fit while getting all the benefits of a, for all intents and purposes, Mac. The Hackintosh route isn't for everyone, and in some cases I downright advise against it, but for me, that's what has worked.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

marccollet

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:
marccollet wrote:I am a fan of mac os x and I hope the power brings me at least a smooth 4k render and edit. Fingers crossed ...

Don't listen to these [insert favorite insult here], they're just feeding you a bunch of grumpy speculation about a company that they obviously despise for whatever reason. Plus don't forget that you're in a part of the forum that is the exclusive domain of Windows users right now, so the info you're getting is heavily tilted toward the Mac-hating side.

I think you will be plenty happy with your new Mac Pro (I assume you got at least the 6-core model with a decent amount of RAM and the better GPU). I know plenty of pros around here who use the "canister" Mac Pro to do amazing work and they are all very happy with their computer. Further, Mac OS X is and continues to be a damn solid operating system.

For all the hate against Apple and OS X, just go and hang out on enough PC forums and you'll discover all too quickly that the grass is most definitely not greener on the other side.

Having said that, for my needs I decided that I preferred to build myself a Hackintosh rather than pay about $8k for an equivalent Mac Pro. I'm happy with my decision and it has allowed me to expand my system as I see fit while getting all the benefits of a, for all intents and purposes, Mac. The Hackintosh route isn't for everyone, and in some cases I downright advise against it, but for me, that's what has worked.

Thank you so much for your response. I had no idea that I landed in a Windows camp...lol

I ordered the 12-core, 64GB, 1TB ssd, 2x D700. I should be safe then. Once again thanx.

By the way, I considered hackintosh also, but I wanted to stay away as far as possible from non-standard stuff to keep focus on the job and not the techie road of solvations. Good to hear ot works though. Have a great day...and all windows lovers too...by the way...windows is a nagging child...don't become one yourself :-)

Remco johannes

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
Remco johannes wrote:I think i wouild be cool to have in resolve a "fusion node" that can load a fuse that have 2D in & outputs.

That would imply that Resolve would get scripting, which is probably an even bigger benefit. :)

issn't a fuse a jit-compiled script?, meaning it is intermediar "pseudo" asembly code and no longer script.

Not that i mind having scripting in resolve

RJ

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote: {lots of dumb presumptions}

Wow, just wow... This is about as immature and uneducated a comment as I ever read in this forum. I was on Mac's for 20 years (!) before the situation became impossible - and that was in 2009.

You have to realize, as a pro user, you really need to know what to expect from your hardware- and software vendors, Apple has obviously lost interest in that, which is apparent seeing their behavior towards their pro user base since 6-7-8 years now.

So I would advice you as an obvious amateur (or at least very unexperienced) in this field to get a grip on reality before spewing your uneducated presumptions in such an immature way in a forum filled with pro users like me - it makes you look, really, really bad.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Remco johannes wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:

issn't a fuse a jit-compiled script?, meaning it is intermediar "pseudo" asembly code and no longer script.

Not that i mind having scripting in resolve

RJ

No, not entirely. Some portions of it can be LuaJIT, but other portions are not.
EDIT: Like you can modify the tool UI or control parts of Fusion or the system entirely with Lua. And you can turn LuaJIT on and off it the Fuse. And there's the OpenCL component too.

Point is, there's no SDK or scripting in Resolve. So adding that would be needed just to start to implement Fuses, and to make them compatible enough to be worthwhile you'd have to implement the entire Fusion SDK.

The good news is that Resolve has no SDK or scripting, so there's no legacy stuff to break should they choose to do this. :)
Last edited by Chad Capeland on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Don't listen to these [insert favorite insult here], they're just feeding you a bunch of grumpy speculation about a company that they obviously despise for whatever reason.

Excuse me?

Speculation?

All I did was point out that the Mac Pro is old and slow. There's no speculation at all about Apple. I don't care about the company at all, just the product. The "whatever reason" is simply that the hardware is slow and the software is old. If you want to run an old version of OpenCL or OpenGL on an old GPU architecture, that's fine, but that's certainly not "whatever reason", it's a preference for things that are more modern and efficient.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Remco johannes

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Don't listen to these [insert favorite insult here], they're just feeding you a bunch of grumpy speculation about a company that they obviously despise for whatever reason. bladie bla die bla.

The pot calling the kettle black ?

marccollet

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Johnny Farmfield wrote:
Kays Alatrakchi wrote: {lots of dumb presumptions}

Wow, just wow... This is about as immature and uneducated a comment as I ever read in this forum. I was on Mac's for 20 years (!) before the situation became impossible - and that was in 2009.

You have to realize, as a pro user, you really need to know what to expect from your hardware- and software vendors, Apple has obviously lost interest in that, which is apparent seeing their behavior towards their pro user base since 6-7-8 years now.

So I would advice you as an obvious amateur (or at least very unexperienced) in this field to get a grip on reality before spewing your uneducated presumptions in such an immature way in a forum filled with pro users like me - it makes you look, really, really bad.

Oh sorry for any trolling or uneducated info and statements. I was just happy to hear that the system will work for me. Calling names is not needed in any way. Have a nice and above all COLORFUL life :-)

marccollet

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Update: just had contact with Black Magic and a local reseller that has a working demo setup working with red footage. Bm addresses that there were some issues but that the latest resolve 11 releases and mac os x releases work stable. The reseller showed me the beauty of the setup operational. It just works great! People should stop strolling around so much. It costed me a day to research on the validity of all that trolling. Professional or not...let's stay focussed on helping eachother instead of bashing suppliers, brands and products. Cheers!

Margus Voll

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 3:23 pm

I just would like to use it on my mac.

Super nice would be simple workflow with Resolve.

As i'm colorist and do also vfx work then it is super important to me.
Margus Voll, CSI

Johnny Farmfield

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 4:43 pm

marccollet wrote:Oh sorry for any trolling or uneducated info and statements. I was just happy to hear that the system will work for me. Calling names is not needed in any way. Have a nice and above all COLORFUL life :-)

I apologize for my previous post. I got annoyed about the fanboy accusation as it's not really the type of thing that is generally tossed around among professionals, it's outright rude. But I overreacted and for this I apologize.

Return to Fusion