Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Frame disappearing

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Vance Bowman

Frame disappearing

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Why would a specific frame (number 58) from an image sequence disappear. I've checked the actual file to make sure it's there. It opens up just fine in Photoshop. If I preview the loader, frame 58 shows up just fine. But if I preview any node further down the flow that specific frame disappears. I've checked the trim setting in the loader. They are correct. I've restarted fusion. I've copy and pasted the flow entire comp into a new a comp. This was working just fine about an hour ago, but I must have hit a button...

What am I missing? I don't know what to check next.

Rony Soussan

Re: Frame disappearing

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Can you try setting your loader to output color instead of fail and tell me if that same frame turns color (I usually set it to red)
From finder/explorer you can shift drag into fusion just that frame to see if it even shows up.

What format is the frame? can you post a link?

Vance Bowman

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Setting the frame to output a color didn't do anything. The format is a 16-bit OpenEXR. The loader is set to float 16.

When I preview the loader it shows up just fine. It only disappears when I preview a node further down the flow. Like the Glow node right after it.

Unfortunately the product is under NDA so I can't post pictures of it.

Vance Bowman

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Just fyi. I'm on a 2013 MacPro running El Capitan.

Rony Soussan

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 8:08 pm

what happens if you save the image out of Photoshop and try to reload in fusion?

Vance Bowman

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Well I just did that and it seems to have worked. I think there was something wrong with that specific frame because there was a single black pixel where there should not have been one. I tried to clone it out and it showed through the cloned pixels. I even tried painting onto a new layer above it and it still showed through. I've never seen that before.

While this worked, I'm wary of doing it though because Photoshop forces a 16 bit OpenEXR to open as a 32-bit file. Then if you convert it to 16-bit it won't let you save back to an OpenEXR file type. You have to convert it back to 32-bit. So now all of my frames are 16-bit OpenEXR except for that one. Then the loader imports it as 16bit float. Maybe it isn't a problem at all, but I feel like with all that converting something bad probably happened :) I think. Maybe not.

Thanks for your help, Rony.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 pm

The downstream tools didn't fail, you just had a NAN pixel, quite common in EXR files.

There's no built in tool for handling that, but you can make a Fuse to remove them (usually you just fill in the pixel with an average of neighboring pixels, just like you would for a hot/dead pixel.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Vance Bowman

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Do NAN pixels make the tools not load the frame?

Chad Capeland

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Vance Bowman wrote:Do NAN pixels make the tools not load the frame?

The Loader is fine with them (as it should be). Some tools are OK with it, if they just copy the pixels. If a tool does any arithmetic on the pixels, though, it would create more NAN's if those pixels interact with the existing NAN. And anything that uses the entire image could create nothing but NAN's.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion