Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8 laggy UI

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Roy Nieterau

Fusion 8 laggy UI

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Hey everyone,

We've been playing around with Fusion 8.1 (and 8.2 beta just now) to see if it's ready for production. Yet Artists have been mentioning it's sluggish and laggy in general. The computation of the graph seems fine, but just the user experience using the UI feels laggy most of the time. E.g. moving around in the Flow (panning, zooming) and or moving nodes around hangs frequently.

Basically we've been "hanging in there" with Fusion 6.4 the last couple of years and it's served us well. Having just bought some Fusion 8 studio licenses pushed us to just "take it into production" for a spin, yet it came to a point where artist just said work got better done using the older Fusion version.

We're running Windows 7 (also tested on Windows 10 machines, same thing). It happens on our HP Z820 workstation with Dual XEON and NVIDIA GPUs, but I also tested it on my laptop and the same thing happened.

Any idea what might be going on? Would be perfect if we can debug what's happening and get this smoothed out so we can start transitioning. (Or at least have the artist take another roll with it)

Adelson Munhoz

Re: Fusion 8 laggy UI

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Same problem here.

The menus in Fusion 8.1 and 8.2 open slowly and erratic in Windows

Moving and selecting nodes in the flow gives a weird feel, like the program is always processing something in the background. Same feel on panning the flow canvas.

The RAM player stucks randomly for fractions of second, making impossible to really see the animation smoothly.

Tested in 4 machines with Windows 10 and 7, with Nvidia and AMD cards.

None of this occurs in Fusion 7, so we are using it mostly.

Curiously, this does not occur with Fusion 8.2 in Linux

Joël Gibbs

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Yeah, same here. None of the 8 releases have been as snappy as 6.4.
And opening a loader to access the network ( win 7 and now 10) takes 2-5 seconds, where as it's super fast in 7.7. So there's something fishy there too.

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 12:56 pm

OSX says hello!!!

App acts like a proper OSX port on Windows, much like Resolve.

Roy Nieterau

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks everyone for confirming this issue. It's been the biggest thing holding us back from switching to Fusion 8 (even though we already bought the licenses). Our team basically stated working in the older version would just get the productions out faster (and better!) so it was an easy pick at the moment to stick with the old.

I hope it's just some setting that we've overlooked or something that can be toggled so we can get working with it soon. Especially because older versions were silky smooth I hope it's something that even with the cross-compatibility now added can get fixed for Windows. Seems the Windows platform kind of got bumped off the road with the introduction of OS X and Linux, almost dropping support for it completely?

If anyone knows a way to get around this (on Windows) I'd love to hear more about it.

Stefan Kirste

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 am

same problem here, also in fu8.2b . We cant switch from 7.7 to 8, as long this probleme exist :/

Eugene Afanasiev

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 10:33 am

I believe we're not expecting any improvements in 8 version it's just about expanding it to all platforms...
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Roy Nieterau

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 5:56 am

Any update on this? Are there known fixes?

Peter Paterson

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Might be this. See link to The Foundry Forum.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... 1&t=113660

Adelson Munhoz

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

I don't believe that Adobe apps are the culprits.

My computer does not have a single Adobe program (not even adobe reader) and still shows the "laggy UI" problem described in this topic.

But I read elsewhere in the forum that the erratic ram player behaviour can be solved by right-clicking the play button and changing the "playback update option" from "auto" to "fast".

The other issues persist though

Peter Paterson

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Bummer! Would have been nice to track it down :)

roger.magnusson

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm a first time Fusion user and what I noticed immediately was that it doesn't deal with unused memory card reader slots very well on Windows 10. Sorry if this is common knowledge.

Every time I open a menu that allows me to select a file or directory, it tries to enumerate all connected devices. For devices that aren't currently in use, like a memory card reader it has to wait until Windows responds with a timeout. On a machine like my HPZ840 with multiple internal card reader slots this takes a very long time.

My temporary solution was to simply disable the devices, but it shouldn't have to come to that. There is a setting in Windows Explorer that hides devices that have no card in them, but that has no effect on the API that Fusion uses.

Roy Nieterau

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 pm

My temporary solution was to simply disable the devices, but it shouldn't have to come to that. There is a setting in Windows Explorer that hides devices that have no card in them, but that has no effect on the API that Fusion uses.

If that's the core of the issue that would actually be great. Since that would mean this could point the devs at a possible solution.

Roger, is this a slow-down you've been experiencing whilst just moving through the flow (node) graph or only during using the explorers like for Loaders? It sounds like something that would only influence the explorers, that's why I'm double checking this is related to the same issue with the overall laggy UI.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 pm

I can only correlate it to explorers unfortunately, haven't used Fusion enough to judge its UI performance in other parts.

Roy Nieterau

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Ah unfortunately that doesn't sound too related. I'll have some artists investigate the proposed solution either way to see if it helps resolving our problem.

Thanks for sharing the workaround to your problem, hope it can help others!

Albert 't Hooft

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 2:22 pm

High Guys,

Same problem here. Running Fusion 8.1 on Windows 10 machine.
The whole interface is laggy. Dragging nodes around and even playing RAM preview lags

Not a happy camper.... :(

Plz fix this guys!

Here are some of my workstation specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160802-1857)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 65436MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 65436MB RAM

Adelson Munhoz

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Just installed Fu 8.2b2 and the problem is gone.

Certainly, the new UI solved the issue.

Thanks BMD!

multiabhay

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 11:16 am

Same here!
On my office machine which is a beast (nvidia k6000 + tesla k20c) fusion 8.2 is laggy as hell.
can't work on that.
Surprisingly Fusion 8.2 is running absolutely fine on my laptop which has linux os (linuxmint 18 "Sarah"). and it's pretty stable. :D

Return to Fusion