Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

EXR file renders incorrect pixel dimensions in 3d

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dennis Summers

EXR file renders incorrect pixel dimensions in 3d

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 am

camera size test both images.jpg
camera size test both images.jpg (158.52 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Ok I'm having a strange problem. If I render an exr file from a render 3d node, the resulting image basically sizes itself to include all the elements in the scene. So for example, even though the image size is supposed to be 1920x1080, it turns out to be 1667x1080 (or other arbitrary sizes depending on the size and location of elements in the scene) and is framed to only include the elements of the scene. However, if I save out a jpg or tiff file then the framing and pixel size is correct.
I'm uploading an image to show the difference. The image on the left is the correct size and framing, the one on the right is the incorrect one copied from the exr (I put a grey border around it). The scene only includes 2 image planes one is white and the other has a pattern on it, so that you can see the difference.
Is there some special setting I need to make somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a workaround if it's some sort of bug?

thanx --ds

Kel Philm

Re: EXR file renders incorrect pixel dimensions in 3d

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 1:30 am

Hey Dennis,

I know EXR's allow a Domain of Definition which in simple terms will crop them to the widest rectangle that fits all non zero pixels. It sounds like this may be the problem, so maybe try setting the Saver Export/Clipping mode to none?

Dennis Summers

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanx for the suggestion. however it didn't solve the problem. I think you might be on to something, but maybe the clipping option isn't the right solution. I will do a little more checking based on your idea and see if I can come up with something.

Dennis Summers

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Workaround! Kel you got me thinking. So what I did was I made a big image plane, put it behind everything else and made it a Matte object. So now everything renders correctly as EXR. I get the transparent pixels I need within an image that is the correct resolution.

Nonetheless, if any of the fusion programmers are reading this, it seems like a bug to me, that someone ought to fix.

michael vorberg

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 pm

did you open the files in fusion again and compared it there or in any other (adobe???) software to compare the size?

i know that former version (cant tell about the current ones) of AE did only open the DoD size of an EXR and not the full format size

Dennis Summers

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 pm

Yes, I opened the files in both photoline and photoshop. The exr files are definitely wrong. --ds

Chad Capeland

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 am

What is the data window and/or domain of definition?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

michael vorberg

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 8:47 pm

can you share the file?

Dennis Summers

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Chad, I'm not sure how to find the data window or domain of definition. But in response to Michael I'm uploading the file and maybe you can check it out. So Michael here it is, I look forward to anything you might find out. thanx. --ds
Attachments
Chapter 9_12b exr problem alt.zip
(4.6 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

michael vorberg

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:42 pm

the DoD is a system to define the actual window in which you have relevant pixels. this can be used to save diskspace and processing time or to keep image data outside of the visual "canvas"

fusion can use all the data in the DoD. you can check the DoD in the viewer with the little button called "dod", the dotted line will show you the actual image data that is processed.

exr files store this data to and a proper implemantion will read the image at its image size and the data inside the DoD.
Photoshop just ignores the image size and only loads the DoD information.

the exrs from fusion are correct and have the correct image size. you can see it if you load back the exr into fusion

to load the exrs at the full image size in other softwares which dont understand the difference between image size and DoD you can merge your image over a black BG (BG with alpha 0)

Dennis Summers

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Thank-you Michael. That clears things up for me. I just read up on the DoD in the docs and it's an interesting concept that I was unfamiliar with.

Return to Fusion