Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Animating a garbage matte

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sam Steti

Animating a garbage matte

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 am

Hi there,

So far I've had crash problems with Mocha Pro ofx, and I realize that I've been using Mocha (ofx and standalone) so often these 2 past years that I can't even make a choice about what I may use instead... :?

I just want to animate garbage mattes which cover unwanted objects on a green screen key, the main job is already done inside a Primatte 5 node (just the garbage matte operation lacks).
Therefore, given that the operation will occur on 40 clips in this project, I prefer asking about best practices.

Up to now, lost and scared in the Mocha-less jungle, I've tried stuffs and questions popped-up :
- Fu tracker : works ok, but how to connect it to Primatte 5 garbage matte input, or how to connect a polygon or spline to the tracker results and also to the garbage matte input of Primatte ?

- I've manually keyframed the polygon mask (pfff, am I in 2017 ?) to be sure I'll get at least one clip to export... Ok, why not so far, but how does the automatic keyframing work please ? Because I manually right clicked the center parameter of the polygon to choose "set key", but that's not bearable more than half an hour :)

- Anyone using Mocha Pro 5 ofx in Fusion around ?

Any comment highly appreciated, thx in advance
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

michael vorberg

Re: Animating a garbage matte

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 pm

automatic keyframing works just like it sounds: it set automatic keyframes as you change something
you set the first key and the you go to a different frame, change the parameter and there is a new keyframe. shape animations are set to keyframed by default. if you change the position of a point of a shape a keyframe will be generated

also there are lots of threads about how to attach a tracker to a mask.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56956&hilit=tracking+mask
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55762&hilit=tracking+mask

this may also help:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55292&hilit=attach+mask

also old but concept is still the same:

Sam Steti

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:24 am

Hey Michael, thx a lot, I really appreciate... I will check all this and report here what was wrong in my workflow.
A bit new to Fusion, I rushed in it because I'm not new (at all) to Primatte I could find again in Fusion; but actually, what I experienced so far is that I'm not so comfortable with the different properties of nodes inputs. I'm pretty sure it's the bad side of what I did : therefore, your links will help sorting things in my head....

In Resolve and its tracker, it would have been a piece of cake...

Sander de Regt

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:27 am

In Resolve and its tracker, it would have been a piece of cake...

Maybe it would've been a piece of cake in Fusion as well, if you'd known what you were doing.
Is there any chance you could share a piece of the problematic footage, so I could make a QnD-tutorial about it? Sometimes showing how something is done is easier than trying to explain it in text.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sam Steti

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Sander,

Not really any chance unfortunately, what i signed for doesn't allow me to, but anyway I will have a serious look now, before any more comment, and I'll report here. It shouldn't be complex (at all) and I'm quite confident. And I think it's not problematic, I'm the only one responsible of that, I totally admit.
Thx a lot so far, I appreciate you wrote here anyway, I'm sure we'll chat again about that...

About the supposed "piece of cake" I talked about :) , it was just a quick opinion about tools accessibility/usability, easiness for some users and i'd say "general look and feel".
I don't think there's really anything to argue (except if you'd like to) because it's obvious, i.e. take the tracker : besides results which are not at stake, setting a basic power windows and click track (2" max.) is surely quicker than taking care of 4 corner points, or even more attaching any polygon before, doesn't it ?
Then when afterwards you decide "inside this very mask should be blablabla", you don't add any other node or whatever, you see ?

But again, I don't want to write too much now, I have to look at your links and video before, thx again and let's talk again in few moments.

Sam Steti

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Ok, here I am again... Still around Sander ?

I fixed almost everything, my mistakes were based on wrong inputs use, and also misuse of matte controls. Thx again to both of you, the Sander's video about tracking immediately lit a light to me about these mistakes... I"m "strong" again with my beloved Primatte, but also with garbage mattes in other node types.

2 issues remain though, for which you may help again, if you still have time enough for me :

- Track made successfully. When I attach a matte to a tracker's path, the controls on the viewer show me a weird immediate drift it's hard to explain... What's the best workflow for a basic garbage mask attached to a tracker path which would start on the current position of this mask (instead of rocketing it wherever :) ). BTW isn't it the very topic addressed by Michael's code on stuckunderwater ?

- This should be fixed by a bit more reading and tests I admit. What's the more basic ever to draw a polygon that defines the only zone where a effect is applied (let's say Primatte again, or any keyer), or the contrary by inverting matte ?
I think Resolve's use of its "outside node" gave me bad habits for Fusion in this field.

Thx in advance, you saved a lot of time so far.

Sander de Regt

PostTue May 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Sam Steti wrote:2 issues remain though, for which you may help again, if you still have time enough for me :

- Track made successfully. When I attach a matte to a tracker's path, the controls on the viewer show me a weird immediate drift it's hard to explain... What's the best workflow for a basic garbage mask attached to a tracker path which would start on the current position of this mask (instead of rocketing it wherever :) ). BTW isn't it the very topic addressed by Michael's code on stuckunderwater ?

You can find the script to help you with this over here:

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... f=6&t=1133

This should be fixed by a bit more reading and tests I admit. What's the more basic ever to draw a polygon that defines the only zone where a effect is applied (let's say Primatte again, or any keyer), or the contrary by inverting matte ?

I don't understand your 2nd question, can you elaborate?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sam Steti

PostTue May 02, 2017 4:44 pm

Whaouu, still there Sander, quite impressive (and I appreciate)

Ok, I've wasted so much time on that stuff that I'm glad you're confirming the script will help. I'll have a look soon.

EDIT : Hahahahaha, if this ultra basic way fix the whole problem I have, I can accept being a better user : "One way to work around this is by attaching first and then painting, but not everyone knows this." Now I know too :D (but more seriously of course, I will mainly keep the code). Resolve doesn't behave like that, what put me on the wrong tracks.

Sorry if my crappy english messed up the second point : I'm looking for a basic way to put limits to (to restrict) a node effect. In case of a keyer for example, I'd simply like to draw a polygon to decide "the BG color is to be found in this area only; the matte sponge will be applied here only, and so on", you see ?
And if I clicked "Invert", I guess the keyer may leave this zone alone to apply my decisions anywhere on the image BUT inside the polygon.
EDIT : ok, unlike other options in Resolve for example, an inverted garbage matte is the thing to do. I'll remember it.
Fixed.

Return to Fusion