Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Way to Link an Image Viewer to the Active Node?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

PeterMoretti

Way to Link an Image Viewer to the Active Node?

PostTue May 30, 2017 2:46 am

I'm new to Fusion and finding the image viewer assignment rather tedious.

Is there way to designate one of the image viewers, say Right, to always display the active node?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

michael vorberg

Re: Way to Link an Image Viewer to the Active Node?

PostTue May 30, 2017 7:55 pm

afaik that is not possible

PeterMoretti

PostTue May 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I have to say that is one major limitation IMHO; I've never used another app that behaves this way. Am I missing something?

I also can't believe that Fusion doesn't remember the image viewer assignments from when the project was last used. Perhaps there is a setting that I'm missing somewhere?

And is there a way to link an image viewer to automatically display the last node of the flow?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Chad Capeland

PostWed May 31, 2017 1:50 am

Rendering the active tool will result in a lot of extra rendering that isn't needed. It's possible using a script, but just understand it will cause a lot of unwanted rendering.

What is the "last node of the flow"?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

PeterMoretti

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:02 am

Chad, I would certainly like to try out using a script for this. As Fusion is plenty fast, and I'm talking about rendering a single frame when clicking on a node, not the entire timeline.

So if you have any thoughts on how to make such a script, I'd be very willing to listen.

As for the "last node of a flow." I realize that that could be not always clear cut, and therefore was hesitant to write it. But in Resolve it's clear what the final output of a node flow will be, and in AE it's clear what all of the layers combine to, so I would think that in most cases there is a way to determine what the final result of the flow will be. But I could be wrong, as I'm very new to Fusion.

michael vorberg

PostWed May 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Fusion can have as many outputs as you like. They can be in different parts of the flow. Surely in most cases it will be a certain node before a saver, but which node this is can not be predicted
You could adopt your workflow a bit and create a node which you have always in a viewer and do all the work before that node.

There is no setting that lets fusion remember which viewer was used last with which node.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Michael, thank you so much for your input. I've considered adding a final node and setting it to the right image viewer. Your suggestion prodded me to try it, and so far it seems to be working well.

BTW, Chad had mentioned that it might be possible to create a script to make the active node show in a designated image viewer. Do you think this is possible to do?

Thanks so much!

Return to Fusion