Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Carry the Alpha Channel from Fusion 8 to Resolve 14?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dave Dugdale

Carry the Alpha Channel from Fusion 8 to Resolve 14?

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I am new to Fusion, I did many searches in the Fusion manual to figure out how to carry the Alpha Channel from Fusion 8 in to Resolve 14 Beta6, but I can't figure it out.

There are many parameters you can change for the alpha channel not only in Fusion Project Settings but the Codec selection to how you bring it in to Resolve, so I made a video so you can see the choices I tried, which did not work for me.

Any ideas?

ps. I am on a Windows machine with DNxHD codecs installed.
Dave Dugdale
Learningvideo.com

Tomek Pawlowicz

Re: Carry the Alpha Channel from Fusion 8 to Resolve 14?

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 am

Hi Dave.

At first, when I played your video I wasn't watching who is writing, and when I heard your voice and was like: Oh, my God, it is Dave :D

I don't have windows myself, so I cannot tell you is it the problem with DNxHD or with something else, but
I was trying to do this on ProRes and it is working just fine with save Alpha to color option checked and pre-multiply in DaVinci Resolve checked.

I can see few other ways to do it, but it you will have to create second output with alpha only and apply it as a matte, and it is a different approach.

You will have any questions about Fusion, just let me know on: pawlowicz(dot)tomek(at)gmail(dot)com
I would love make same training materials for Fusion beginners and would gladly know what are your thoughts about it and about Fusion itself. Some crazy stuff can be done in it, and there is not much training materials for it.

In attachment, my latest roto/tracking/compositing attempt :-)

---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz

Vladimir LaFortune

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 pm

If you are unsure when it comes to ProRes/DNxHD and how they handle alpha just make TIFF sequence with transparency and call it a day.

RobFromm

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Dave,

Try this. In your fusion connect object on the saver node, set the saver to Quicktime movie. Then in the Format tab, set the compression field to Animation and check the Attempt to save Alpha checkbox at the bottom right.

Also, uncheck any of that save aphla to a color channel and don't try and force another codec.

RobFromm

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Here is a quick video showing how to do it.
youtu.be/TBx83493noM

For some reason I am not allowed to post a URL. Copy the HTTPS address and past in your web viewer. Hope it helps

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 pm

You don't have enough posts to post urls yet. This will come to pass when you become a more active member of the community.

Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

RobFromm

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:You don't have enough posts to post urls yet. This will come to pass when you become a more active member of the community.

Thanks!

Dave Dugdale

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey that worked, thanks!
Dave Dugdale
Learningvideo.com

RobFromm

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Dave Dugdale wrote:Hey that worked, thanks!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Jamie Dickinson

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 6:07 am

I'll take a look at those links later but did you mention DNxHD? Fusion can't write that can it?

Steve Alexander

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 am

I was able to accomplish this using a TIFF format and Fusion Connect round-tripping Resolve-to-Fusion-to-Resolve.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

RobFromm

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I was able to accomplish this using a TIFF format and Fusion Connect round-tripping Resolve-to-Fusion-to-Resolve.

Yes, if you want to use image sequences, TIFF, Targa,and PNG sequences all carry alpha. I haven't tried image sequences as media in Fusion Connect myself. It would be interesting to know what Resolve renders to when it generates the media for the Connect to Fusion. I assumed it was an QuickTime MOV, because the saver automatically generated is a QuickTime Movie, at least for my setup on Windows...

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Until now, only ProRes 4444 or Uncompressed can carry an alpha channel in a QT wrapper from Fusion. I don't see Animation as a codec there, but it's a very inefficient codec anyway.

But it seems that BM is working on making alpha export available in DNxHR 444 from Resolve 14 too, so once that works it might become an option for round-tripping on the PC. Maybe even in an MXF wrapper?

That would free PC users completely from using Apple products.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

PeterMoretti

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 pm

(Sorry to dig up an old post, but I just noticed this while watching Dave's power window error video.)

I think a K.I.S.S. way to do this would have been to change the blend mode to Lighten. Since the bg in the timer DNxHD file is black, Lighten (or Lighter Color) should act as a luma key and key out the black.

Just an alternative suggestion, and of course it's better to actually understand how alphas in Fusion, QT and various codecs work.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Return to Fusion