Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Animation of custom controls fails [solved]

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Marin Goleminov

Animation of custom controls fails [solved]

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 pm

I am still wondering if that is a bug or not: as soon as I publish a custom control (in this case a slider I created in the "User" section of a background node), it can't be animated. The context menu shows "Set key", but setting a key has no effect.

If I unpublish the control it can be animated again.

Can someone confirm this behaviour?

Fusion 9 free on Windows 7 64bit.

Best, Marin
Last edited by Marin Goleminov on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sander de Regt

Re: Animation of custom controls fails

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm

I think this might be a case of user confusion. As soon as you publish a value this can no longer be animated. Publishing a value is used for non-animated values.
*all* animated values in Fusion are effectively published by default.

If I've recreated your steps correctly, then you will find the published slider availabe under 'modifiers' - this slider *can* be animated.

But this brings me back to the original question: why would you want to publish *and* animate?

I do agree with you that there shouldn't be an option to 'set key' if it doesn't do anything.
But the actual behaviour is consistent with the rest of Fusion.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Marin Goleminov

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm

User confusion indeed.

At first glance and without knowing too much about Fusion I thought that publishing a parameter enables it to drive any other parameter. Some hundred hours of training later it turns out (among many other things) that publishing makes a parameter visible to other controls so it can be driven by them.. I hope I got it right this time :)

Sander de Regt

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Marin Goleminov wrote:User confusion indeed.

At first glance and without knowing too much about Fusion I thought that publishing a parameter enables it to drive any other parameter. Some hundred hours of training later it turns out (among many other things) that publishing makes a parameter visible to other controls so it can be driven by them.. I hope I got it right this time :)

I am not even sure what you mean by this question.

In Fusion when you animate a parameter its properties become automatically accessible to all other tools in the RC-menu. You can connect to them, modify them with calculations etc.
Publishing is - traditionally - used to make *static* values available to other tools as well, without having to resort to expressions etc. Once connected they act in a bidirectional way: changing it in one place changes it in the other. Does this help?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Marin Goleminov

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm

It wasn't a question ... but I'm glad You answered, because to all the other knowledge I can add the "bidirectional" manner of connected sliders :)

Return to Fusion