Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Using an IFL

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Lauren Thomas

Using an IFL

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 am

Hi there,

I have kiiind of asked this before but I'm back for clarification. I'm looking to control the names of my files that my savers write. I have created a .ifl file in notepad that has all of my desired file names, each on their own line, to match my sequence.

All the instructions I have found are vague and say, "use your ifl on your saver or loader" but I don't know how. Do I drag and drop the .ifl in the flow and then plug it in somewhere? That doesn't seem to be an option. I need the bare simple dummy steps.
- Lauren Thomas

Sander de Regt

Re: Using an IFL

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 am

how did you format your IFL? Did you specify just the filename i.e. picture1.jpg or the complete filepath? i.e. d:\data\placeswhereIputstuff\projectname\picture1.jpg?

If it's the first, you place your IFL in the directory where you want your images to go, if it's the latter than you can put the IFL wherever you want it.

Then in Fusion, create a saver, in the saver file requester, go to the directory where you saved the IFL, select it and answer 'yes' to the question if you want to overwrite it. (it's illogical but go with it)
Then you can press render and Fusion will save an image for every line in the ifl.
They don't even have to be in the same format (although I'd recommend it)
I used

picture1.jpg
    nicepicture2.jpg
    cowabunga.tga

and got 3 image files in the directory.

Hope this helps.

Sander de Regt
ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Lauren Thomas

Re: Using an IFL

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 6:46 pm

OMG, amazing. I just did a test and it worked! This is going to save me so much time. You're right, this isn't very intuitive which is why I am surprised that the vague instructions i found were never elaborated upon in these terms.
- Lauren Thomas

Return to Fusion