Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion performance with Threadripper 2950X?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Juha Takabe

Fusion performance with Threadripper 2950X?

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi,

Any idea how well Fusion 9 and or Resolve 15 Fusion will use multicore CPU such as AMD Threadripper 2950x? Or is it better to choose faster GHz per core?

Kel Philm

Re: Fusion performance with Threadripper 2950X?

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 pm

If you're working with reasonably heavy workloads then its a good choice. Fusion nodes are mostly multithreaded so they will run faster though it wont scale proportionally as there are other overheads involved. In fusion my 1950x usually sits around 60-70% utilisation when 'working' on a comp.

Resolve will benefit a lot when encoding and decoding though it uses GPU for image processing so realtime playback may not differ much.

Also I think its good for future proofing, plus the extra PCI lanes give more options for GPU expansion. These chips are also pretty good bang for your buck and it can run at 4.4 GHz and prob overclock to about 4.3 on all cores with good cooling which is plenty quick enough.

Nate Porter

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:51 am

Puget Systems does some great articles reviewing stuff like this. Here is the article they did with comparing cpus in resolve. They did a section specifically about fusion https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Threadripper-2990WX-2950X-Performance-1219/

Juha Takabe

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am

Resolve 15 in general seems to favor multiple GPU processing, but Fusion inside Resolve doesn't look to care that much.

I have 3x GTX 1080 Ti cards and Resolve 15 Fusion uses them all, but not all at once. Looks like during render it will be jumping between GPU1, GPU2 and GPU3 and all around. GPU1 = 54%, GPU2 = 0%, GPU3 = 0%...

Puget systems result shows also that with single GPU, Resolve Fusion is faster than with 3x GPU.

Besides in Resolve Fusion I can't find an option to render multiple frames at once like Fusion 9 has or simultaneous branching option which seems to use CPU resource better in general.

Return to Fusion