Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 9.0.2 crashing every few minutes

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

flofency

Fusion 9.0.2 crashing every few minutes

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:40 am

Hello Folks,

I literally got my Fusion Studio Dongle 30 minutes ago delivered by UPS and directly started comping. Now I only have a few nodes, a loader, a reduce noise, one merge and a planar tracker and the program keeps crashing all the time.

I even have a totally fresh Windows 10 install from yesterday, with latest Nvidia and mainboard drivers and everything working fine exept Fusion.

That's a bit of a disappointment now. Why does it keep crashing, what can I do?

Here's my setup:
Win10 Pro x64 1809
Asus X99 Deluxe II
intel i7 6900k
64Gb Ram (all Memtested)
Asus GTX 770
SSD and HDD Drive Samsung (Smart Status is good)
850W EVGA PSU

Everything is stock, no OCing, no nothing.

David_Cox

Re: Fusion 9.0.2 crashing every few minutes

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Try going to file>preferences>OpenCL and alternately disabling openCL tools / caching / GPU and see if that improves stability.
DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

flofency

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:21 pm

I did try that but it seems to be performing less well. So it's mostly about GPU calculation?

Steve Alexander

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:58 am

Could be your GPU so if disabling OpenCL resolves the crashing then that's a hint. Also, 1809 has been giving people troubles but perhaps not in your case. Does the i7-6900 have an integrated graphics subsystem? If so, try disabling it in the BIOS as well just in case there's a conflict.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

flofency

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am

thank you!

the 6900K does not have a graphics unit and I'm pretty sure that my GPU is working perfectly.

You're right about 1809 but for the most part I have heard that people lost the files inside "documents" and "pictures" which I do not use. Since all openCL stuff is disabled I only had one crash in around 8h of work, which is almost acceptable.

All in all I like the software very much, my biggest complaint would be the really bad paint tool and the restriction of one mask per polygon node.

Bryan Ray

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 pm

flofency wrote:All in all I like the software very much, my biggest complaint would be the really bad paint tool and the restriction of one mask per polygon node.

Hah! The first thing I do when I sit down at Nuke is rebind O to the old Bezier tool instead of that atrocious RotoPaint node. I hate having all of my shapes bundled into one node.

If disabling OpenCL stabilized your system, then there may be a conflict somewhere with the driver version you're using. Fusion sometimes has a hard time with certain drivers. Usually moving a couple of versions forward or back solves it.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Kel Philm

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 pm

I also find the Planar Tracker causes a lot of crashes on my system particularly when performing the tracking.

flofency

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pm

I have used Fusion for a few days now and get crashes every day, even with openCL turned off.

Recently I got crashes when painting something out. Am I the only person with that kind of problems? To me it's super annoying.

Bryan Ray

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:10 pm

The paint tool is pretty crashy for me, too, and always has been. I have a habit of saving after every two or three strokes. But when I'm not painting I don't crash any more frequently with Fusion than I do with Houdini. I do occasionally have a comp that causes more problems, but that seems to have a direct relationship to looming deadlines, so it's hard to test.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

flofency

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm

I set the autosave to 1 mimute and at least that never failed. I lose 1 min of work every half an hour.

Is there also devs present in this forum or is there a bug report tool or something?

Clayton Krause

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Want to pipe in here from what I found makes Fusion 9.0.2 crash consistently. The BSpline tool... If you are using this tool at all in your chain, you are asking for a crash about 60% of the time. Use polygon tool instead as it's MUCH more stable.

If you aren't using Bspline tool then my tidbit isn't likely to help you out any. Gluck.

Kel Philm

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 pm

flofency wrote:I have used Fusion for a few days now and get crashes every day, even with openCL turned off.

Recently I got crashes when painting something out. Am I the only person with that kind of problems? To me it's super annoying.

I have been having these issues with V9 on a bunch of different Windows machines, very different setups, same problems all round.

Interesting discussion here:

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... +hq#p18546

In particular the final post which I have found can minimise crashing.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 am

Yeah, given how solid Resove 14 was for me, I was kind of disappointed at the frequency with which my Fusion Studio package crashes.

Most of the time it's a crash where everything just disappears with no error messages or anything.

Tracking operations do it most frequently for me.

It'd be nice if BMD spent a little time solidifying the robustness of Fusion but it looks as if they're simply going to drop the stand-alone in favor of moving it into Resolve -- where they're creating a whole lot of new bugs and a real performance downgrade.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

David_Cox

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 8:48 am

I think the problem we are feeling is that Fusion 8 to Fusion 9 brought in a lot of instability as F9 migrated to GPU and OpenCL. So this left a lot of room for improvement. But now Fusion is being combined into Resolve, I gather that Fusion is being re-worked to use the Resolve GPU engine. So I can see from BMD's point of view that there is no point in fixing what's wrong with the "old" architecture of F9, if they are replacing that architecture with something common to Resolve.

I spoke with some people at BMD a few weeks ago, and they said there are no plans to stop making Fusion standalone at the moment.

For me, the ideal end game is that we have a Fusion that works as fast as Resolve with the GPU and is as stable. This does seem to be the path BMD are on, so I remain hopeful, albeit suffering a little crash pain at the moment.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Return to Fusion