Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Simulate Long Exposure

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Nick Verlinden

Simulate Long Exposure

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 am

Suppose I have a static shot with a duration of 14 minutes of a park with people walking in and out of frame. How can I use Fusion to composite all the frames of the video and create a mean out of it so all moving objects are removed from the static shot? This effectively simulates a long exposure photograph.

I was thinking maybe the Trail tool would allow me to do this? Can anybody steer me in the right way? Many thanks!
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Sander de Regt

Re: Simulate Long Exposure

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 am

The Trails tool would be good place, but 14 minutes of footage is a lot of time and I think it might result in a really big use of memory when Fusion stacks all of these images on top of each other.
You definitely have to make sure you stay in float, so that you can later adjust the 'exposure' of the image. If you're using Fusion Studio you can also use Krokodove's Average tool for this.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 pm

I would suggest doing a cleanplate and covering the area where people walk with this. For static cleanplate you don't need 14 minutes averaged, a fewty frames will probably be enough to get rid of moving people and what remains can be manually cloned out using timeoffsets.
I do stuff.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Eh...if there was a clean plate would this whole excercise be necessary to begin with? :lol:
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Eh...if there was a clean plate would this whole excercise be necessary to begin with? :lol:

What I said was that you don't need to average 14 minutes to build a cleanplate. If one is unable to produce a cleanplate, averaging 14 minutes of stuff together also won't help ;)
I do stuff.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Do it by creating a loop that adds the image multiplied by 1 / (total amount of frames to average) to the previous processed one.

Mindmedicine was so kind to share his clever loop setup. I highly recommend it and invite you the study it. You can find the original here:

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... =16&t=1183

I just modified it to your particular need.

Since exusion or fexit is imminent, I would hold on to your copy of Fusion standalone. I doubt this will work in that abomination and frankensteined piece of software BMD thinks we all have been waiting for.

Hah, a ".comp" file is not even allowed on this forum. Go figure! Hey Peter Chamberlain, where you at?

average_v001.rar
Read the notes carefully
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Chad Capeland

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Mean will still weight the pedestrians some. And you'll get motion blur in the foliage.

Why not use median?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Kel Philm

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Since exusion or fexit is imminent, I would hold on to your copy of Fusion standalone. I doubt this will work in that abomination and frankensteined piece of software BMD thinks we all have been waiting for.

First time I have smiled on this forum in a long time. I do wonder which snake oil salesman was responsible for this decision. "Have I got a deal for you guys, we're going to lower productivity and decrease functionality at the same time, for free!"

Kristof Indeherberge

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Hehe, glad it made you smile.

Nick Verlinden

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am

Thank you all for your answers. It's been hard to find a solution that is workable. The reason I'm asking for this is because I'm thinking of doing a project that involves a lot of these shots, and was looking for an easy way to create a clean plate. I have succeeded in one experiment, but unfortunately using a plugin in After Effects. I wish the plugin was available for Fusion (and it would work in Resolve Fusion).

Thanks Kristof for your Fusion comp, this is an option to use.

I'm also trying to experiment by using imagemagick, a commandline utility that can do it. It just takes a lot of time to process.

Until now the After Effects plugin has the best results. It responds reasonably fast (for processing a 5 minute clip), that allows you to experiment by adjusting a few parameters. In case anybody is interested in this plugin:
https://aescripts.com/superpose/
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Kristof Indeherberge

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 10:22 am

Hey Nick,

Well, there is a super fast and excellent fuse called TemporalFilter written by Tom Berakis. I use it a lot.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... oralFilter

Based on your title "Simulate Long Exposure" and considering the extra challenge of processing 14 mins of footage, I proposed the loop approach.

If all you need is a cleanplate, try that Temporal fuse mentioned above. You can install it with Reactor.

If you want to have something like that AE plugin, you can actually make that yourself. Create motionvectors, filter them using a threshold and cook it up into a matte you can use to make your cleanplate.

Return to Fusion