Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Need to track a patch over a plate (Nuke user).

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Todd Groves

Need to track a patch over a plate (Nuke user).

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 am

Coming from Nuke, I tried to approach tracking a patch to match camera movement in a shot in Fusion the way I would've created the node flow in Nuke. It isn't working.

I painted out a boom mic. Rendered out a still of that frame. Brought it back into Fusion to track it over the boom to match the camera movement. Can someone show me or point me to a tutorial that shows how that works in Fusion 9 Studio?

Thanks in advance.

xunile

Re: Need to track a patch over a plate (Nuke user).

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 am

Did you try using the Paint node clone effect to paint out the boom mic? Can you provide a screenshot of the scene?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Todd Groves

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 1:56 am

xunile wrote:Did you try using the Paint node clone effect to paint out the boom mic? Can you provide a screenshot of the scene?

xunile

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 3:29 am

I meant a frame of the footage so we can what you are dealing with. I see from your other thread a still you posted. I would definitely recommend at least trying to use a Paint node in clone mode to paint out the mic from within Fusion. I have had success with both methods but without seeing all of your settings in the Tracker node and your other nodes I can't really tell where your problem lies.

Can you provide a screenshot of merge1 in viewer1, and merge2 in viewer 2? Also if you can show the mic_frame node in one of the viewers.

You might also try putting a Transform node after your patch, then you can move its center so it aligns over the mic and see if that works.

Todd Groves

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 am

xunile wrote:Did you try using the Paint node clone effect to paint out the boom mic? Can you provide a screenshot of the scene?

I used the Paint node to paint out the mic, then rendered it out as a still in hopes of making it simpler.

I can only show a section of the shot due to an NDA. Someone recommended using a Transform node after the patch to align it properly. That's the main task of my query. To understand the workflow of Fusion in relation to Nuke. Once I understand the proper order of nodes and effects, I can better achieve the needed results.

Todd Groves

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:53 am

xunile wrote:I meant a frame of the footage so we can what you are dealing with. I see from your other thread a still you posted. I would definitely recommend at least trying to use a Paint node in clone mode to paint out the mic from within Fusion. I have had success with both methods but without seeing all of your settings in the Tracker node and your other nodes I can't really tell where your problem lies.

Can you provide a screenshot of merge1 in viewer1, and merge2 in viewer 2? Also if you can show the mic_frame node in one of the viewers.

You might also try putting a Transform node after your patch, then you can move its center so it aligns over the mic and see if that works.

I can't show the whole frame as an NDA prevents me from doing this.

But, I will try a Transform node after the patch, and see if that works. The patch does move in relation to the Tracker, it's just offset at the moment.

xunile

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 6:24 am

Todd Groves wrote:
xunile wrote:I meant a frame of the footage so we can what you are dealing with. I see from your other thread a still you posted. I would definitely recommend at least trying to use a Paint node in clone mode to paint out the mic from within Fusion. I have had success with both methods but without seeing all of your settings in the Tracker node and your other nodes I can't really tell where your problem lies.

I can't show the whole frame as an NDA prevents me from doing this.

But, I will try a Transform node after the patch, and see if that works. The patch does move in relation to the Tracker, it's just offset at the moment.

Ok, that makes sense.

Return to Fusion