Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Blender Cryptomatte to Fusion, anyone?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

TheMuffinMan

Blender Cryptomatte to Fusion, anyone?

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm

I am new to Blender and Fusion and I am trying to export individual multi layer exr files into Fusion Studio 16 for the purpose of utilizing cryptomatte editing animation. I enabled the cryptomatte in the render pass properties for object, material, and asset. I then setup up a compositor node as seen in the image attached. I am using the Reactor plugin's cryptomatte. I know others have been able to do this. I just do not know what it is that they did that I am not doing. I also attached a screen shot of my Fusion Studio node build. It is what you would imagine. There is no cryptomatte file embedded anywhere in the openexr. On top of all of that, I cannot find anything on Cryptomatte for animation in Blender. I only see people using through the compositor which renders single images. I prefer single images, but it would be nice to be able to compile them and cryptomatte in Fusion through the compiled finish. If anyone knows how to achieve what I am doing, I would really appreciate step by step instructions.
Attachments
crypto.png
crypto.png (427.6 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

TheMuffinMan

Re: Blender Cryptomatte to Fusion, anyone?

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Here is the Fusion screen shot.
Attachments
fusion-min.png
fusion-min.png (736.67 KiB) Viewed 2260 times

TheMuffinMan

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 pm

So I think that I got it working with the file output node in the blender compositor. I am still not quite sure how to manage animation through individual files that are created by Blender and when the image file is a jpg file rather than a png file. I am sure that there is supposed to be more options that I cannot find that allow for a transparent background pass. If anyone has any tips on how to composite the animation in cryptomatte in a compiled form I would really be grateful.
Attachments
blendersn.png
blendersn.png (512.61 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
working-min.png
working-min.png (605.44 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

TheMuffinMan

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 pm

I actually do not think that cryptomatte editing for animation is possible with a Blender and Fusion workflow, maybe Nuke. But, it was better designed for Maya that it was Blender where I believe that animation editing in a cryptomatte environment is possible.

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Animation is just a bunch of ordered stills. If you get crypto working for one image it works for whole sequence.
I do stuff

Kristof Indeherberge

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 am

Hey,

The support thread for Crypto is hosted on WSL:

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... &start=225

I only check this site now and then. So if you don't mind, post your problem over there along with your images so I can have a look what's going on.

Thanks,

Kristof

Return to Fusion