Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Advanced stabilization

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

michelc

Advanced stabilization

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Hello,

I am a total Fusion newbie here.

I have several wide angle crane-like shots to stabilize, lots of perspective change and crowd crossing in the foreground.
I tried the built in Resolve stabilizer but it fails on some of them. I would love to be able to tell the software which tracker points it should follow (buildings, walls, ground, unmoving objects) and which it should discard (people moving).

Is there anyone out there who knows more and is kind enought to tell me about this?
I tried using 3d Camera tracker but I did not go very far.

Many thanks in advance

RCModelReviews

Re: Advanced stabilization

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 12:35 am

Have you tried the classic stabilizer in Resolve with manually set tracking points?
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Bryan Ray

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Are you attempting to lock a particular feature in place? Or remove camera shake while preserving the overall motion?

For the former, a few 2d point tracks (the regular Tracker node) will do. Run the track, then in the Operation tab, set the Operation to Match Move and the Merge to BG Only (note for BMD: Those controls are now even more confusing than they were when they were multi-buttons).

To remove shake from a 3d tracked camera, it's a bit more involved. Yes, you'll want the CameraTracker node, but it doesn't have built-in a way to designate supervised tracking points. You can mask out the moving people, but if you want a user track, you'll need to do a bit more. I haven't tried it yet, but there is now a script that can copy tracked points from Fusion's point Tracker to a CameraTracker node:
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... f=6&t=2602

Once you have the track, you'll export the camera as described in the docs. Make a copy of that camera and smooth the path and rotations of the copy. Give it a recognizable name to make it easier to identify. Plug the new camera into the 3d scene. In the Renderer3D node, change the Camera to your new camera.

The original camera has a visible image plane. All of the bumps and shakes are present in the image plane, but the camera projecting it is mimicking them. The result is that the image itself is actually stable in the context of the 3d scene, and by reshooting it with a smoothed camera, you get the stabilized picture.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

michelc

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.

RCModelReviews wrote:Have you tried the classic stabilizer in Resolve with manually set tracking points?

It is a great idea but I cannot find how to do that in the most recent version of Resolve?! I am on 16.1.1 , I used to be able to do it in previous versions but now that option seems to have disappeared... or am I missing something here?

Bryan Ray wrote:Are you attempting to lock a particular feature in place? Or remove camera shake while preserving the overall motion?

I need to remove the camera shake while preserving the motion. Thank you for the tip of the script, it sounds a bit too complex for my current skill level but definetely will give it a try if I am still stuck (which I am atm... ) .

xunile

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Make sure you have stabilizer selected from the dropdown menu, then the "Classic" stabilizer option should be available from the 3 dots menu.
Attachments
2019-11-27.png
2019-11-27.png (781.89 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

michelc

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 6:27 pm

xunile wrote:Make sure you have stabilizer selected from the dropdown menu, then the "Classic" stabilizer option should be available from the 3 dots menu.

super helpful, than you so much

xunile

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 6:41 pm

michelc wrote:
xunile wrote:Make sure you have stabilizer selected from the dropdown menu, then the "Classic" stabilizer option should be available from the 3 dots menu.

super helpful, than you so much

You're welcome.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to Fusion