Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 16 Studio questions

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Nicolas

Fusion 16 Studio questions

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am

Hi,

We are looking to switch to Fusion Studio 16 for compositing, and I would have a few questions before ordering a first license to test it, and eventually order more later for production.
We are on Windows 10 Pro x64.

- How does licensing works ? I see some discussions about dongles, would this mean putting an USB dongle on each machine needing Fusion ? No floating license server for example ?

- Is there some Fusion documentation accessible somewhere ? Especially on licensing, deployment, silent install, and python scripting/SDK ?

- Which python version works with Fusion ? Is Python 3.6 x64 ok ?

- Regarding render nodes, can I install Fusion Studio on as many machines I want so they can render comps ? Will try to handle this with BackBurner cmdjob, writing a python script to submit jobs. Is it the same install as full license, without authorization or such ?

- Does Fusion Studio 16 use comp files ? No database like Resolve for example ? Files are a lot easier for project managements, backups, pipeline integration and such.

- Regarding comp files, are they uncrypted (like a json) so we can write some python script to create basic comps with a few nodes from scratch, so they can be loaded in Fusion later ?

- Any doc on Fusion executable command line switch ? Like starting fusion.exe with a comp file as argument to load it directly ?

- I see this forum is on official BlackMagic domain. Is it a pure user forum, or is there some BlackMagic guys also reading/answering here ?

Really have hard time to find documentations and information ;)

Thanks

Frank Engel

Re: Fusion 16 Studio questions

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm

Nicolas wrote:- Regarding render nodes, can I install Fusion Studio on as many machines I want so they can render comps ? Will try to handle this with BackBurner cmdjob, writing a python script to submit jobs. Is it the same install as full license, without authorization or such ?

The render node is a separate installer which comes bundled with Fusion; you would install that instead of the main Fusion Studio application for the dedicated render nodes. It does not require additional licensing on its own, but if you use any 3rd-party plugins, those might.

- Does Fusion Studio 16 use comp files ? No database like Resolve for example ? Files are a lot easier for project managements, backups, pipeline integration and such.

Correct, the compositions are individual files, not a database.

- I see this forum is on official BlackMagic domain. Is it a pure user forum, or is there some BlackMagic guys also reading/answering here ?

It is a user forum hosted by BMD. They do have a number of employees who post here periodically; their names generally show up in blue next to the posts.

Return to Fusion