Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timelines

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timelines

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 am

Fusion.jpg
Fusion.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 310 times


UPDATE: As per Peter Cave's comment below, this feature can be done, but I would still appreciate some help getting it done, since I still cannot get it to work. I've edited the question to clarify the problem.
___

When I create Fusion compositions, it asks me to enter a name.

The problem is, when these Fusion compositions appear as elongated boxes in the Edit timeline, and at the bottom row of the Fusion tab, the given name does not appear in the timeline.

How do you display the composition's title in the timelines?

In this screen shot, you can see that Fusion compositions are just called "Fusion composition", and do not display the given-name.

tab.jpg
tab.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 308 times


I received a comment below that it is possible to do so, but both my Davinci 15 and 16 setups do not display the Fusion composition name.
Last edited by rsf123 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Problem identifying unnamed compositions in Edit & Fusn

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 am

No issue here. Maybe you have some settings wrong?
The last image shows filtering by Fusion Comp.
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.03.00 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.03.00 pm.png (151.76 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.03.16 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.03.16 pm.png (171.05 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.06.25 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.06.25 pm.png (177.42 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Resolve 16.1 (testing stability)
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

Re: Problem identifying unnamed compositions in Edit & Fusn

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:52 am

On my various computers, I'm running Davinci 15 and 16, and in both versions I run with the default settings as installed. I can't seem to find anywhere that can adjust a setting to display the Fusion composition's given name, as you have shown it can be done.
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

Double click the area directly below the clip icon in the Color Page. This cycles the displayed info. In my timeline I can't make it display without the name, like yours does.
Resolve 16.1 (testing stability)
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Double click the area directly below the clip icon in the Color Page. This cycles the displayed info. In my timeline I can't make it display without the name, like yours does.


I tried that, and it does cycle, but it when it displays the name it merely says "Fusion composition". I wonder what else I can do?

Before doing this, I added a new Fusion composition, and ensured I gave it a unique name. But it displays as the last in the row showing "Fusion composition", and not showing its unique name.

cycle.jpg
cycle.jpg (73.35 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Offline
User avatar

GonshiRamushiyo

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Location: 日本
  • Real Name: 吉村真悟

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm

I had the same question as rsf123-san before and tried a lot, but have come to the conclusion that the feature has not been implemented or is a bug.

I will organize it while adding the specifications I knew as far as I tried.

First, "Fusion Clip" can be renamed and the clip name displayed in the Clip panel and Timeline will be linked properly, but "Fusion Composition" will not work. It can be named on the Media pool panel, but when it is placed on the timeline, it will uniformly display only Fusion Composition. In addition, as you may have noticed, thumbnail generation is not working either.

Second, I don't think the Fusion page has a function to sort the contents of the Clip panel. Unlike the Color page, there is no v-shaped button that opens the menu next to the icon that calls the Clip panel.

Finally, the thumbnail information that is cycled when you double-click the Clips panel on the Fusion page is the file name (or clip name), composition version number, and codec. When displaying the codec, other than normal video or still image clips, for example, "Compound Clip" or "Fusion Clip" are displayed, but Fusion Composition has a display problem here, and nothing is displayed. When the clip name is displayed, only "Fusion Composition" is displayed uniformly same as on the Timeline on Edit page.

I had a similar topic a while ago, so I hope you'll find it here as well.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98940&p=587902#p587902
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 pm

GonshiRamushiyo wrote:
I had a similar topic a while ago, so I hope you'll find it here as well.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98940&p=587902#p587902


Gonshi-san's post suggests it is NOT possible to display unique-names of the Fusion composition, however, Peter Cave's screenshot on 12 February 2020 (reproduced below with mark-up) proves that it can be done. So I wonder why both my Davinci 15 and 16 default installations do not display the Fusion composition's unique given-name, while it does in Peter Cave's installation?

nameshow.jpg
nameshow.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 am

Ok, I've just now come to a solution, but I don't understand why it is so.

I created a new Compound clip by creating a solid background, and converting it into a Compound clip. (The youtuber Skyline Motions always does that, but I never understood why he does this approach rather than using a Fusion composition).

Anyway, the Compound clip does show the given-name, while the Fusion composition clip does not.

As you can see it Peter Cave's example, he also was using a Compound clip (as indicated by the icon on the left corner of the clip).

I have verified that the Compound clip name also appears in the Color tab - you have to click a few times to cycle through options for display.

As said, I don't know why. Also, at my level of Fusion learning, it's not clear to me what difference it makes to use a compound clip versus a Fusion composition. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

nameusingcompound.jpg
nameusingcompound.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Offline
User avatar

GonshiRamushiyo

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Location: 日本
  • Real Name: 吉村真悟

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi rsf123-san,

I also wanted to take this opportunity to understand exactly, so I examined the behavior of each type of "Clip".
The test environment is Win10, Resolve v16.1.2.

In conclusion, as I realize, Fusion Composition can only be renamed on the Media Pool and will not be reflected elsewhere.
The way to avoid this specification (or bug) and link the name given to the clip with the Fusion effect in the various places is to use Compound Clip etc., as you say.
And I also noticed some differences between the each types of Clips.

各種クリップ名変更検証.jpg
各種クリップ名変更検証.jpg (386.01 KiB) Viewed 175 times

    1.Compound Clip & 2.Nesting Timeline
    The former can only be created (converted) from clips on the Timeline, and then automatically added to the Media Pool. The latter is the act of placing the sub timeline created in the Media Pool on the main timeline.
    Naming in the Media Pool is linked to the display of the Timeline and Clip panel, and thumbnails are also generated (However, Nesting Timeline often causes delays and failures in the link).
    If you convert multiple clips to these, opening them on the Fusion page will create a single MediaIn node that will load the final image that combines the clips.
    "Open in timeline" can be performed, clip modification and various effects can be applied internally, and the same clip already placed on the media pool or on the timeline is also updated.
    3.Fusion Clip
    It can be created (converted) only from clips on the Timeline, and then automatically added to the Media Pool.
    Naming in the Media Pool and the displayed in each place are linked, and thumbnails are also generated.
    If you convert multiple clips to this, opening them on the Fusion page will MediaIn nodes are generated for the number of converted clips and the layer structure is maintained.
    However, the audio tracks of all clips are separated at the time of conversion.
    Only on the Edit page, you can "open in the timeline" in a straightforward manner, and additional editing and clip updating inside the clip looks like the behavior of the Compound Clip, but it is still buggy (cannot support adjustment clips).
    4.Fusion Composition
    When placed directly on the Timeline from the Effects Library, it cannot be named in the first place.
    Even if created in the media pool, the naming is not reflected elsewhere. And thumbnail generation in clip panel is not supported.
    When you open it on the Fusion page, it only has one MediaOut node.
    "Open in timeline" cannot be used, but by registering from the timeline to the media pool and relocating to the timeline, it is possible to record and reuse effects added up to that point.
    5.Adjustment Clip
    Cannot be created in the Media Pool. You can only place it on the Timeline directly from the Effect Library, you can not name it.
    By taking it to the Media Pool from the Timeline, giving it a name and returning to the Timeline again, any name can be displayed at various places (but renames after that are not reflected and updated).
    Thumbnail generation in the Clips panel is (possibly functional) not supported.
    When you open it on the Fusion page, there is basically only one MediaOut node. However, if there are clips under itself, a single MediaIn node that load the final image that combines the clips is generated.
    About "Open in timeline" and "recording and reuse effects" is the same as Fusion Composition.
    6.VFX Connect Clip
    This is not shown in the image above, but you can name it freely and link to various places, and of course thumbnails are also generated.
    When you convert clips to this, the audio track is separated and the rendered picture is sent to Fusion standalone with the layer structure maintained.
    It should be noted that the duration cannot be extended, so whether it can be used depends on your workflow.
    "Open in timeline" can be used, but the track is locked at the time of conversion and additional editing on the Edit page is not possible. You can make some adjustments on the Color page, but it is just "adjustment of the clips that were initially included", so you need to re-render and re-send to Fusion to reflect them.

Looking back, I think I used them properly depending on the case and situation (FYI, I rarely use 4.Fusion Composition). However, it is thanks to your posting that I was able to grasp this properly.
Thank you very much.


P.S.
I created a new Compound clip by creating a solid background, and converting it into a Compound clip. (The youtuber Skyline Motions always does that, but I never understood why he does this approach rather than using a Fusion composition).

This was popular method as an alternative to Fusion Composition, which had not been implemented for a while since Fusion integration into Resolve started. At that time, it was one of the ideas that was used to create a clip equivalent to the current Fusion Composition without importing any material.
I've checked some videos, but since Resolve v16 it's not so, so I guess that's why.
Last edited by GonshiRamushiyo on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 11:38 pm

GonshiRamushiyo wrote:Hi rsf123-san,


    3.Fusion Clip
    Naming in the Media Pool and the displayed in each place are linked.
    If you convert multiple clips to this, opening them on the Fusion page will MediaIn nodes are generated for the number of converted clips and the layer structure is maintained.
    However, the audio tracks of all clips are separated at the time of conversion.
    4.Fusion Composition
    When placed directly on the Timeline from the Effects Library, it cannot be named in the first place.
    Even if created in the media pool, the naming is not reflected elsewhere.
    When you open it on the Fusion page, it only has one MediaOut node.



Thanks so much Gonshi-san.

What is the difference between a "Fusion COMPOSITION" and a "Fusion CLIP". Clearly, from your screen shot, there is a difference.

difference.jpg
difference.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 152 times


Also, how do you create a "Fusion CLIP"? When right-clicking in the Media Pool, only the option for creating a "Fusion COMPOSITION" appears, and I cannot see any option for creating a "Fusion CLIP"?

howtomakefusionclip.jpg
howtomakefusionclip.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Offline

xunile

  • Posts: 920
  • Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 am
  • Real Name: Eric Eisenmann

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:29 am

You right-click on a clip to create a Fusion Clip.
Attachments
2020-02-14.png
2020-02-14.png (739.32 KiB) Viewed 142 times
Win 10 Home
Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB
Resolve 16.1.2
Offline

rsf123

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
  • Real Name: Roger Smith

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:03 am

xunile wrote:You right-click on a clip to create a Fusion Clip.


Thanks. What, if any, is the difference between creating Fusion nodes inside a clip that is just a video clip, versus in a clip that has been turned into a Fusion clip? I see that it's possible to do both, so I wonder if there's any practical difference?
Offline

xunile

  • Posts: 920
  • Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 am
  • Real Name: Eric Eisenmann

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:51 am

The main differences I see are that you can name the Fusion clips and that you can still use "Open in Timeline" from the edit page to modify the clips included in the comp from the Edit tab. Once inside the Fusion tab I don't think there is really any difference.
Win 10 Home
Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB
Resolve 16.1.2
Offline
User avatar

GonshiRamushiyo

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Location: 日本
  • Real Name: 吉村真悟

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 5:19 am

To add to xunile-san's "Open in Timeline", the Color page does not allow Fusion Clip to do this.
If you want to do something on the Color page for each included clip after editing, it is better to edit using Compound Clips or Nesting Timelines.
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 5:29 am

GonshiRamushiyo wrote:To add to xunile-san's "Open in Timeline", the Color page does not allow Fusion Clip to do this.
If you want to do something on the Color page for each included clip after editing, it is better to edit using Compound Clips or Nesting Timelines.


"Open in Timeline" function is exclusive to the EDIT PAGE. Fusion Clips are in fact, the same as Compound Clips i.e. you can "Open in Timeline" in the Edit Page and then use the Color Page to make adjustments.

It's important to note that Fusion Clips are different to Fusion Compositions and BOTH of those are different to switching directly to the Fusion Page without first creating a Fusion Clip or Fusion Composition.

I use Fusion Clips because you can take one and use it a a source for another Fusion Clip and so on. Fusion Compositions from Toolbox> Effects, don't have this functionality.

Believe it or not the Resolve user manual actually explains all this but RTFM is probably not appropriate in this case.
Resolve 16.1 (testing stability)
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
Offline
User avatar

GonshiRamushiyo

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Location: 日本
  • Real Name: 吉村真悟

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Peter-san,

"Open in Timeline" function is exclusive to the EDIT PAGE.

you can "Open in Timeline" in the Edit Page and then use the Color Page to make adjustments.

For Compound Clips and timelines, you can also use "Open in timeline" on the Color page, please try it.
However, I couldn't think of a way to go to the Color page with the timeline open on the Edit page, thank you.

Fusion Clips are in fact, the same as Compound Clips

As you can see from the above and my recent post, it seems strictly different. And I'm currently conducting additional verification, but there may be other differences (although we can't tell if it's a specification or a bug).

I use Fusion Clips because you can take one and use it a a source for another Fusion Clip and so on. Fusion Compositions from Toolbox> Effects, don't have this functionality.

I'm sorry I can't understand the above exactly, but does that mean you are close to nesting the timeline? Or is it about the re-use of motion graphics, for example?

Believe it or not the Resolve user manual actually explains all this but RTFM is probably not appropriate in this case.

Unfortunately, BMD has not yet translated both Fusion and Resolve v15 or later manuals into my language, but it should be explained (By the way, could you tell me what RTFM is?)
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 am

Hi Gonshi,

I can not find any way to "Open in Timeline" on the Colour Page. Can you explain?

When "Open in Timeline" is used in the Edit Page you just go directly to the Colour Page to show the individual layers of the Compound Clip.

A Fusion Clip can be the input source to ANOTHER Fusion Clip. That means an entire Fusion Clip composition can be used as a single input to another Fusion Clip.

RTFM is a lighthearted acronym for Read The F**king Manual. As I said, it's not appropriate in this case.

Where do you live? I may be in Tokyo later this year for the Olympic Games.
Resolve 16.1 (testing stability)
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
Offline
User avatar

GonshiRamushiyo

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Location: 日本
  • Real Name: 吉村真悟

Re: ? How to display name of Fusion compositions in timeline

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 7:04 pm

On the Color page, you can open the timeline from the right-click menu of the Timeline or Compound Clip in the Media Pool.
However, for Fusion Clip, there is no choice in the menu.
OpenInTimeline_onColorPage.jpg
OpenInTimeline_onColorPage.jpg (310.8 KiB) Viewed 71 times


It's nesting Fusion Clips, or it's close to pre-compose in other words, right?
In that case, I feel that I often used Compound Clip. The reason is the difference in the behavior on the color page above, but thanks to you, I have found a way to avoid it.
However, after this I feel that Fusion Clip is unlikely to work. The reason is that it do not seem to support Adjustment Clips, and the impression that they are often not maintained when converting multiple clips (these may be limited to my own work environment, Hmm).

Are you coming to the Tokyo Olympics for work?
If you want to say "RTFM" in Japan, say "Manual Yome".
(Yome is a pun that also means "read" and "bride.")

Return to Fusion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests