Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

F16 Standalone's importance in custom tool creation

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

julian_b

F16 Standalone's importance in custom tool creation

PostSat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

I just want to give blackmagic another reason to keep standalone Fusion around (not that there weren't enough already).

I just found another reason why a standalone Fusion is so important: Custom tool creation
I was looking at some old Fusion projects, I used to create simple Motion Graphics tools.
And I was double-clicking the files to quickly open them in Fusion.
I had multiple projects open at once, comparing them, copying & pasting between them.
It was fast and efficient. Just great to work with.

How would one even do that in Resolve?
- You don't have multiple tabs for multiple Fusion projects, so there's no way to switch between them quickly
- How would you even store your tools and their projects?
Creat a Resolve project for every tool doesn't make sense. It takes forever to load and it's not nice to manage them in the Resolve database.

Fusion projects open instantly and it's easy to compare and copy and paste between them.
You can also quickly open a new project, paste some nodes from the old project, make some tweaks and save it as a new project.

And I guess the same process applies to Fusion templates and Fusion transitions in Resolve, since they are basically macros.
It's much easier to do them in Fusion standalone and then import them into Resolve.
By making the free standalone version available again, we would also have more people creating templates and transitions for Resolve.
Discontinuing Fusion standalone would make it harder to create content for the newly added Fusion templates and transitions. It just wouldn't make sense for BMD to add such great features and then make them harder to use.

Trying to create custom tools for Fusion in Resolve would be a PITA.
And I'm not bashing Resolve, I'm just saying there's a reason that we need a standalone Fusion version.
Without it, Fusion would lose one of it's abilities that make it so incredibly powerful: Creating your own custom tools.
And that is not only an important selling point for Fusion, but also for Resolve. And one would think BMD would at least care about that.

xunile

Re: F16 Standalone's importance in custom tool creation

PostSat May 02, 2020 7:45 pm

I do agree with you that they should keep a standalone version of Fusion around, and a free version would be great like with Fusion 9. I do somewhat disagree with not being able to switch comps easy since you can create and switch between multiple comps by right-clicking on a clip in the Clips strip. I have also been able to create 20+ Fusion Transitions over the course of a couple of days using Resolve, so it isn't that difficult. I do hope they keep the standalone version of Fusion going because it does have its advantages.
Attachments
2020-05-02 (5).png
2020-05-02 (5).png (635.3 KiB) Viewed 478 times
2020-05-02 (6).png
2020-05-02 (6).png (950.01 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to Fusion