Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Drawing a circle & it lasts on screen for seconds

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tucker555

Drawing a circle & it lasts on screen for seconds

PostTue May 05, 2020 11:53 am

I'm totally new to DaVince and trying to watch a lot of intro videos to get up to speed. I have what is probability a very basic question but I have not been able to find a tutorial on it.
I want to talk about something that's on screen and while I'm talking I want to have a circle appear to highlight that area. I'd like this to happen a few times during the video.
If there is a video somewhere, I'd really appreciate a link if you have it,

Many thanks, Tomas

Sander de Regt

Re: Drawing a circle & it lasts on screen for seconds

PostTue May 05, 2020 2:30 pm

Does the circle have to do anything?
If not, you can just create a still image with an alpha channel and use that in Resolves timeline to (re)position, resize and fade it in and out. You don't *need* Fusion for this.

But if you want to use Fusion, there are numerous options to do this.
But first the first question: what does the circle need to do?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Saad Shah

PostTue May 05, 2020 4:10 pm

I believe you are asking how do I zoom in on a screen capture video to highlight a specific portion of the screen? Like a tutorial video etc?

There's honestly lots and lots of ways to do that, depending on how you want it to look. Since you mentioned a circle, I think what you are looking for is an overlay graphic to go on top?

The zooming and highlighting part can be done on the Edit page by just using the zoom and position controls. Here's a reference tutorial on the basics:

Now, if you want a fancy circle animation (maybe like a magnifying glass or some flat color motion graphics), you would do that in Fusion. Start by cutting a clip where you want this to happen. Then make that clip a Fusion clip and head over to the Fusion tab, and you can create and animate a circle using a background node and an ellipse mask. Pipe the Media In node in the background and the graphic goes into the foreground of a merge. And then you can add in whatever details or graphics you need to get the final look. Once you are done with it, you can save your animation as a macro and reuse it everytime you want to zoom in, basically.
Youtube Channel: Gargoyles At Work

Tucker555

PostTue May 05, 2020 6:32 pm

The circle is only to show what I'm talking about.
Thank you both for your information. I'll look at your suggestions and see what I can do.
Again, many thanks for your time and expertise, I really appreciate it,

Hi Saad Shah, It's the red circle that appears in the video you posted a link to is what I'm trying to figure how to do,

Regards,

Tomas

Saad Shah

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:39 am

I didnt see a red circle in this video. Not sure if you figured it out or if you are asking something else?

Tucker555

PostWed May 06, 2020 8:24 am

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 09.22.17.png
Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 09.22.17.png (85.2 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
I took a screen shot of the video where the red circle appeared. It that kind of circle I was asking about.

Tucker555

PostWed May 06, 2020 11:50 am

I've found a way - Thank you folks. Made up a circle on a transparent background in photoshop, saved as Png. Imported into timeline and was able to adjust size and placement in the Inspector as well as vary duration of when the circle appeared on screen.

Thanks again,

Kind regards

Tomas

Saad Shah

PostWed May 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Glad you found the solution!

Oh that little red circle is very easy to make in Fusion. You dont have to make that in Photoshop and bring it in as a png because it will be rasterized and pixelated if you enlarge it (plus its more work round tripping). If you are comfortable with Fusion basics, I would recommend make a Fusion clip on top of your Edit page timeline, and then in Fusion you can make the circle with a background node and an ellipse mask and animate it any which way you want!

Tucker555

PostWed May 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Thank you for that, I'll see what I can do but thankfully in the meantime I have something I can work with,

Thank you again,

Tomas

Return to Fusion