Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Crashes All the Time - Out of GPU Memory Errors

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

herein2020

Fusion Crashes All the Time - Out of GPU Memory Errors

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Hello, is it normal for Fusion to crash all the time even doing really simple stuff like using the Planar tracker? I attached my node tree below.

I think Davinci Resolve crashed at least 6 or 7 times trying to create the node tree and it is only 116 frames, there is no way I could do anything complex with that kind of instability. My system details are in my signature. I know my video card is not the greatest but I did not expect this much instability doing something so simple.

Before starting the node tree I color graded all of the clips, generated optimized media (DNxHR HQ), and set the resolution to half. It kept crashing, locking up, needing the task manager to end the task; complete night and day from the stability of the NLE portion.

I watched the GPU memory and it would reach 5.8GB of GPU memory then either crash or say out of GPU memory. I don't feel confident that getting a better video card would improve anything...I'm thinking it would just make it take a little longer to crash.

How are others working with Fusion? Is the Planar Tracker just that unstable or would upgrading my video card really make a difference?
Attachments
FusionNodeTree.JPG
FusionNodeTree.JPG (56.54 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

RCModelReviews

Re: Fusion Crashes All the Time - Out of GPU Memory Errors

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 3:21 am

Try using Fusion stand-alone and VFX-connect. I found this to be a far more robust way to deal with non-trivial Fusion tasks. If you don't have a license for Fusion stand-alone then there is a free version of Fusion 9 but I can't remember whether this includes planar tracking or not.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

UserNoah

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 am

I'm using Fusion standalone and that is not crashing when the GPU memory is full. Although I personally haven't experienced crashes in resolves fusion page that were connected to full VRAM. In my experience it simply gets very very slow.

This could possibly be connected to the crashes you are experiencing.
I can't give you a fix but can assure you that you aren't alone. I have written a bug report to BLMD about my issues with VRAM management (and memory management in general), but unfortunately too few people with a Studio license report their problems and they haven't had heard about these memory management issues. So either they can exactly pin point the issues using the data and description I've send them, or they simply ignore it until more people report this issue.

herein2020

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Yes it's pretty frustrating and I do not want to use a standalone program, that's one of the main things I like about DR is that everything seems pretty integrated but I am finding more and more quirks that make it seem like its not really that integrated like the crashing, navigating a zoomed in display window uses completely different navigation keys than the editor windows, color grades get lost if you try to copy a clip out of a Fusion clip, color grading in general should be done before adding to a Fusion comp which is the opposite of the recommendations for every other NLE (color grade is always last in every other NLE I have used), after creating a Fusion clip on a 1080P timeline if you change the clip to Crop mode and all of your footage in the Fusion clip is 4K....crop mode does not do anything.
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

UserNoah

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Since you are using the Studio version, I would recommend you to write to the official support about your issues. They usually reply very fast, although I'm not sure if they actually add the issues to an official bug lists. For example, the vector motion blur produces artifacts since the first version of F16 and it's still not fixed even though several people have sent reports. But it also doesn't seem like the moderators or employees are in the Fusion section of the forums, so a mail will probably be the best choice in this case.

At it's core, Fusion is an amazing software and the integration into resolve is also much better than I originally expected. I just hope they get the hang of it in the near future and iron out the issues that Fusion had prior to BLMD and the issues they introduced in the last few years...

Return to Fusion