Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Memory Leak

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Matt Drummond

Memory Leak

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 pm

Fusion seams to progressively run out of memory.
I've noticed on a few projects that the render time slows significantly over the course of a render where the compositing load is exactly the same across the shot.

When I quit and relaunch and run the render from the last rendered frame it returns to its original speed and then progressively slows down again over subsequent frames.

I also have situations where I quit fusion and it just hangs there and needs to be force quit to kill the program.

OS CATALINA 10.15.7
MacBook Pro 16inch 2019
16 GB RAM
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Memory Leak

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 1:00 am

Is this on Fusion Studio or Resolve 16.2.x?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

UserNoah

Re: Memory Leak

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 9:22 am

Just adding that I am experiencing the same and have also send a bug report to the Support who was able to replicate the issue. But nothing has happened since.

I have a thread about this on Wesuckless, where Andrew gave some great insights on where this memory leak might be: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... =19&t=4169

For me this happens in Fusion Studio and in Fusion in Resolve but only when using a Saver node. Using the delivery page will not have the same issue for me.
Most notably this happens when the VRAM fills up without properly clearing previous frames. But on certain machines I have found this to be an issue with RAM as well.

I do have something you could test Matt. Try adding fu:PurgeCache() to your Savers Frame Saved Script. This will clear the RAM and VRAM after each frame. This way I was able to keep render time per frame consistent. This does mean that you loose some speed because it has to recache everything, including static masks for example, but in my experience this is still much faster than having Fusion jump to two minutes a frame even though it started at 4 seconds and should have stayed in that range.

Return to Fusion