Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Modifier Issues (SOLVED)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dhaylen

Fusion Modifier Issues (SOLVED)

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 6:06 pm

UPDATED to .9 from .8 and its 'fixed'

My daughter and I are going through an excellent course from vfxstudy, however have hit a hiccup with the Fusion Modifier tool that has us both pulling our hair out. (Well, Im already bald!) :D

1: Create some text with text +, say: "Mike"
2: Go to: Inspector - Tools - Shading tab
note: Don't forget "shading elements" - select element 2 and check 'enable'
3: Next: properties - text outline
4: Change the color to something other then red (or keep it if that's your thing)
5: Go to softness: play with your x - y - and glow
6: Go up to your text and right click to make a follower
7: Now go to your modify tab (of course select element 2 and enable)
8: Set a keyframe, move that thickness slider down, and set another and move it back up, etc.

You have a little cool animation bit, especially if you went to timing (modifers) afterwards and played with delay.
* All good, but a lot of hiccups if you do not follow this step by step - and then even after

PROBLEMS:
1: Repeat the above, but say in step 3, you decide "text outline" is not for you.
(Too bad) ;)
If you select the solid text beside and decide to add softness and then continue with the steps above...
... you may see where this is going... you get nothing.

* Essentially you cant control the thickness of it, as the setting, (while there in modifiers) was not there initially in the tools section (for solid text)

Fine, you say, play with the softness and glow that is there - well, that too is an issue, as your softness and glow are not showing the same position in the modifier tab as it was in the tools tab.
(May be normal, but feels broken based upon how text outline works)

2: Enough of that. {This particular issue, below, has been solved - USER ERROR} :)
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=134273&p=725497#p725497

Lets say you did the steps at the beginning and it all worked. Great.
However, reopen a day later, (doubt the time matters) and go to modifiers - yep, there is the 'follower'... but where are the controls to readjust settings?

It could be in front of my face, but both my daughter and I are clearly overlooking this.
(Dont be too hard, we are both Fusion noobs - though, shame on me, as I have done AE since 96) lol!

Thank you all for your time.
I will also post this in the Beta forums, as this may be a pure Beta bug!

Cheers!

Dalen

Kel Philm

Re: Fusion Modifier Issues (SOLVED)

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Great to know they are fixing some of the bugs, did you raise this with support or just on the forum?

Dhaylen

Re: Fusion Modifier Issues (SOLVED)

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 am

Kel Philm wrote:Great to know they are fixing some of the bugs, did you raise this with support or just on the forum?

Just came to the forum today - literally minutes after posting I had an update to .9 that fixed it.
(Coincidence the timing, of course)

Either way, happy to see it fixed.
(Currently going through 40+ hrs of Fusion courses from VFXstudy - so the less bugs the better :))

Return to Fusion