Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Transform in place without source center reference

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

henit1

Transform in place without source center reference

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 12:37 pm

When I place a shape, like a rectangle in a composition, then pass it to a transform like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 13.34.53.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 13.34.53.png (210.83 KiB) Viewed 250 times

If I scale the transform, it transforms the whole image based on the center point, so the shape does not stay in place:
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 13.34.57.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 13.34.57.png (252.18 KiB) Viewed 250 times

I know I can set the pivot coordinates on the transform to the middle of the shape, but the Rectangle has some expensive expressions calculating its center, width and height, so when I have several of them on screen, rendering the composition become really slow. Not just the end delivery render, but playing the video preview while editing become extremely laggy to the point where it is hard to get any work done.

When I disable updates on the Rectangle, the calculations are only done once, not on every frame, so the performance is not a problem any more, but then I cannot reference the Center value on the pivot of the Transform to scale it in place like described above. Any other practical way to get the coordinates, or other way to scale it in place without running an expression to get the Center point of the rectangle node (since that makes it update on every frame even when updates are disabled)?

Return to Fusion