Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Feature Request - Add Tool on output drag

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kel Philm

Feature Request - Add Tool on output drag

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 pm

Most node based software seems to have adopted this approach (I also think I've seen this requested before but could not find it), but when you drag the output from a Tool in the Node Graph to an empty space it would be great if it popped the Tool lookup (like when Shift Space is pressed) and then created the node with a default connection where the mouse button was released. This is similar to Blender and a lot of other applications and is often the fastest and (at least for me) the most logical way to work. One of my peeves with Fusion is the way you connect nodes which seems to be result in me missing my targets 20% of the time when working at speed.

Jacob Danell

Re: Feature Request - Add Tool on output drag

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 9:47 am

If you have a node already selected when adding a new node those will be automatically connected, but your feature request could be good to pick where the new node would be placed :)

Windows 10, Fusion 18.x
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
128 GB ram

KrunoSmithy

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 12:43 pm

Kel Philm wrote:Most node based software seems to have adopted this approach (I also think I've seen this requested before but could not find it), but when you drag the output from a Tool in the Node Graph to an empty space it would be great if it popped the Tool lookup (like when Shift Space is pressed) and then created the node with a default connection where the mouse button was released.

I suppose the closest thing is to right mouse click on the node and choose add tool from the menu. What you suggested, I am not sure how that would work in practice. Many nodes cannot be connected together to produce a result without for example merge node or some other compatible node needed to create a working node graph. And most of the nodes you need have ways to be automated or created automatically. Merge node being the most commonly used to connect elements is one, and of course by having one node selected you can connect something else to it and it will create them already connected. So most of similar and compatible shortcuts already exist. And it would not really work for all tools in a useful way, since many tools don't work directly with one another.

If you want to add text or something you use often and have it as a shortcut in the tools menu, you can simply drag it into the viewer and it will create merge node for you. There are bunch of these little helpers and shortcuts to learn if you are power user and need them all the time. If you only use things occasionally, its no big deal to simply search for it when you need it.

Here are some nice tips.

Fusion for Production - VFX Compositing with Fusion - 02a Fusion Studio vs DaVinci Resolve Workflow

Fusion can have hundreds of tools and different ways of connecting it. The whole approach to working with nodes in fusion as it is I think in most similar compositing apps, is that you create nodes to which you connect things too, because nodes don't always work by linear fashion. You can have many nodes and many outputs from the same node of instances of the same node, or ways to connect various other nodes in the one you created.

There are ways you can create nodes easily by relying on tool shortcuts in form of icons in the tools bar and Fusion does allow various ways to connect them more easily. If you drag one node to the output of another it will also create a merge node automatically. If you hold down left mouse button when connecting it will give you pop up of possible inputs. If you juts connect nodes sometimes it will automatically connect them where they need to be, if there is no multiple choices. there are ways to change settings of nodes to be default if you use them all the time and many other speed improvements.

Kel Philm wrote: This is similar to Blender and a lot of other applications and is often the fastest and (at least for me) the most logical way to work. One of my peeves with Fusion is the way you connect nodes which seems to be result in me missing my targets 20% of the time when working at speed.

Fusion was originally released back in 1996 and Blender in 1995, if I'm not mistaken, but for different users, obviously. They each have their way of working, respectfully. I think its just a matter of getting used to it. Depending on which app and workflow you learn first, but I don't think Fusion nodes have to change of Blender nodes. I think its up to the users to change and adopt or they lose ability to adopt.

That being said, if feature was to be added, I would not mind it as long as we can keep all the rest of it.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:I suppose the closest thing is to right mouse click on the node and choose add tool from the menu. What you suggested, I am not sure how that would work in practice. Many nodes cannot be connected together to produce a result without for example merge node or some other compatible node needed to create a working node graph. And most of the nodes you need have ways to be automated or created automatically. Merge node being the most commonly used to connect elements is one, and of course by having one node selected you can connect something else to it and it will create them already connected. So most of similar and compatible shortcuts already exist. And it would not really work for all tools in a useful way, since many tools don't work directly with one another.

All of this applies to all other, currently existing, methods too. How is right-clicking and then adding from menu any different than dragging output and adding from menu? Obviously you can't connect together incompatible operators, and you can't do it regardless of the method of node creation or connecting.
I do stuff

Olivier MATHIEU

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 8:24 am

A feature in blender is that you can choose the node/tool AND the desired input.
That would be a benefit in fusion"s "select tool"palette ... or from a clic and drag from output ... like suggested by the OP
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Kel Philm

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 9:33 pm

This would not change existing functionality, currently if you drag an output to empty space it does nothing, most node graph software use this method, its just a time saver as the new node appears where you want it, not where Fusion wants to put it.

KrunoSmithy

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 7:04 am

Kel Philm wrote:This would not change existing functionality, currently if you drag an output to empty space it does nothing, most node graph software use this method, its just a time saver as the new node appears where you want it, not where Fusion wants to put it.

a) Not all nodes (tools) can work together nor do they connect with the same input. Hence we have different colored inputs, which if compatible connect automatically. You can right mouse click on the input and get a list of available inputs. Clicking on empty space to bring up a menu, is backwards, because it would mean you are already committed to searching for a particular compatible nodes, even if they may have multiple inputs., It would limit options, not expand them.

If you never worked with Fusion in any significant way, you probably do not understand this process, and only want app to adopt to something you are used, weather its actually better funcioning or not. Hence I think you need to take into account the actual functionality, not personal preferences developed in another app.

b) If there were to be a new pop up for tool selection by dragging an output to an empty space, you would have to let go of the mouse / stylus and type in the tool you want from the list, and commit yourself to a specific node and connection, since like I said, not all nodes connect to each other and not only does the order matter, but also many nodes have multiple connections. Which is the point of a dedicated node editor. You build a node tree with a flow for what you want. You don't work linearly like with layers. There is a linearity with the flow, but its not like working with layers. Hence we bring in the nodes first than we connect. Its not an accident, its the way to be more efficient, the opposite of what you think you need. Learn how to use Fusion as it was meant to be used and you will understand why.

c) Wireless nodes and many other methods of working, including multiple node connections which are standard in most workflow are by their vary nature designed for node to do something to be interacted with first. Than it makes sense to connect something. This is the case for how Fusion works in general. You drop a node, you change a setting of a node , you connect something to it. Its not how all nodes work, but many do. Once you get used to it, its how you think in fusion workflow. What you suggest seems to come from a different way to work and different app.

As I've said before. Fusion is full of ways to automate and speed up many common and less common tasks. Try to work with those and you will see that what you suggest, while it could be implemented, I fail to see how it would improve upon existing methods used by so many. Migrating from one app you are used to into the next takes time to adjust, but apps should be judged on its own merit.

I've worked with Photoshop for many, many years and I know all the shortcuts and quirks as do many who us it. But if I were designing an up from scratch , I don't think I would ever made is a counterintuitive and quirky as it is. But that is the nature of apps that have been out for so long, they evolve and usually try to not break existing workflows for people who do actually use them on daily basis. I remember when someone in Adobe tried to change simple way to scale up layers where for decades you had to hold SHIFT key to scale up proportionally, and than someone at Adobe though it would be good idea to make it default behaviour. After lot of pissed of comments and blow back they reverted to the way it was before and added it a menu option to do what they did. My point is , its not a good idea to try to change how apps work unless you are very much a veteran of using it, or its very easy to break existing functionality for personal preference sake.

When people come over to Blender from Maya or 3D Studio Max its super frustrating , because Blender being open source does things Blender way, completely counterintuitive for mos seasoned users of 3D apps that were industry standard. This is to be expected. So what should be done? Should the Blender be changed to be like Maya, or should Maya changed to be like Blender, or should the user change?

Even people coming over from Nuke to Fusion complain but they get used to it... or don't.

Chad Capeland

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 1:52 pm

A keyboard command is going to be faster than a mouse drag plus a keyboard command, right?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

bentheanimator

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 3:50 pm

The best example of this I can think of is Houdini. You can do all of the different ways to add a node. Dragging out a line and then hitting tab to create a node is a great way to branch from an existing set. It helps with keeping the mindset of what you were doing...
Otherwise, in fusion, you have to click on the space next to your node, cmd-space, type in the tool, hit enter, select the it from the tool you want to branch and drag to the new tool.
This way you drag out from the node, hit cmd-space, type in the tool, hit enter.

It's a better way in some circumstances. It also allows control over where the new node appears unlike now in fusion. If your building a vertical flow, a new poly or rectangle will bump all your nodes over or sandwich on top vs to the right where you want it.

P.S.
A super fantastic extra in Houdini is the ability to select two nodes, hold down option and drag out. It automatically creates a merge node. You could have the same except use a multi merge if it was too be adopted.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Kel Philm

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 6:37 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:
Kel Philm wrote:If you never worked with Fusion in any significant way, you probably do not understand this process, and only want app to adopt to something you are used, weather its actually better funcioning or not. Hence I think you need to take into account the actual functionality, not personal preferences developed in another app.

Last project was 300+ shots for me alone in Fusion under very tight deadlines. I write my own plugins for Fusion to speed things up and customise my workflow heavily using scripting as well. I am an ex software engineer with experience in UI design.

KrunoSmithy wrote:
Kel Philm wrote:Even people coming over from Nuke to Fusion complain but they get used to it... or don't.

This isn't breaking something that exists its adding another way to do things, its not a new untested workflow, its something used in Blender and Houdini. And yes not all nodes can be connected but the pop up can be context sensitive which makes it even better for newer users. I find it interesting that some users can consider extending functionality in a proven way to be wrong, you don't have to use it but I believe this would improve the product and would not be tricky to implement.
Last edited by Kel Philm on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kel Philm

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:A keyboard command is going to be faster than a mouse drag plus a keyboard command, right?

Not if you have to reposition the node to where you want it to be. Also you drop key click as you automatically pop open the tool selection dialogue. So its a mouse click, drag and release vs Ctrl-Space which could be followed by a possible repositioning of the tool anyway. Again, not changing any existing functionality just introducing a different approach.

I noticed when I started using this approach in Blender it speed up my work and felt more intuitive.

Sam Steti

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:03 pm

Sad to think all this likely won't be added anyway
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Kel Philm

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 pm

I feel more confident that they may listen than I did a few years ago.

KrunoSmithy

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 8:27 pm

Kel Philm wrote:
Last project was 300+ shots for me alone in Fusion under very tight deadlines. I write my own plugins for Fusion to speed things up and customise my workflow heavily using scripting as well. I am an ex software engineer with experience in UI design.
Kel Philm wrote:.

With all do respect, you could have fooled me. Because you suggestion and your self described experience, seems so far apart that it leaves me puzzled how someone with supposedly so much experience, failed to see the problem in its own suggestion, which I've outlined before. And even more, how did you came up with that suggestion in the first place? Shouldn't someone with your experience foresee the obvious problems with it?

Sam Steti

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 9:07 pm

Kel Philm wrote:I feel more confident that they may listen than I did a few years ago.

Well, to "add tool on output drag", maybe...
But as a fusioneer on a daily basis, you can trust me I've been scrutinizing any upgrade for the last 6 years, and... well...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion