Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Global Attributes/Variables/Parameters?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

aerofart

Global Attributes/Variables/Parameters?

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 10:04 pm

Hello friends,

I'm just getting started with Fusion expressions and was wondering if there are Global Variables/Values available in DaVinci/Fusion for use in expressions, without for example, having to publish a value from some other parameter in the Inspector panel.

For example, if I want to size my text to be consistent size (relative to the video format) throughout a project, but be able to save the expression as a setting to reuse across projects so that the text will vary in proportion to the size of the video for readability and stylistic reasons.

I imagine there are more than one way to skin this cat, but generally speaking, what I am asking is if there is such a thing as global variables, like I know there to be for "time," and in this case, I am asking if there is something that will allow me to call for the dimensions of the video.

bentheanimator

Re: Global Attributes/Variables/Parameters?

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 1:30 am

Here you go. It should get you up to speed with the scripting language.
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/Fusion8_Scripting_Guide.pdf

Cross reference that with the Lua docs and maybe an AI assistant to make some code and you should be able to do what you're looking for.

Also go to http://www.steakunderwater.com and check out some of the documentation on scripting there.

There's nothing helpful like the scripting assist in After Effects but you should be able to figure things out with the scripting guide.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Kel Philm

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 6:59 pm

GetData and SetData functions may be of use to you. These variables can be set at the Fusion (Global) or Compostion (Local) level. So for example you can run a script on creating or on opening a comp to read these values and populate certain node fields.

aerofart

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 1:00 pm

Ben, Kel,

I am sure the information you've provided will prove to be useful. Thanks so much.

-Sal

aerofart

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:31 pm

So I checked out some of the official scripting documentation and it turned out to be a little more than I was looking for. Then I happened to stumble upon a really handy cheat sheet on billjustice,com that, for now, gives me exactly what I was looking for. I thought I'd throw it in here for future reference and in case someone else might benefit from it.

Here's the link:
https://billjustice.com/fusion_expressions_cheat_sheet

JayPee

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 1:10 am

Here's another site that is invaluable for understanding expressions in Fusion.

https://noahhaehnel.com/blog/fusion-sim ... -cookbook/
Windows 11 // i9-13900K // RTX 4080 // 128GB DDR5 RAM // 2TB WD M.2 NVMe // ASRock Z790 // TH420 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Mac Ultra Studio M1 64GB

Return to Fusion