Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Expression for automated curves not working

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Benjamin Kratzin

Expression for automated curves not working

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 10:47 am

Hello everyone,

Goal:
It's my goal to use Nodes like the "Timespan" or "Transform" node and automate a dynamic animation curve with an expression. That means doesn't matter the length of a clip the animation will automatically match the length of the clip/ comp. But I'm struggling to do that in Fusion. I'm coming from "Nuke" and "After Effects" and used Resolve since the early days. But I'm quite new to "Fusion". I hope some pros here can help me to achieve my goals.

To recreate:
1. I created a transform node between the MediaIn and MediaOut Node
2. I added my expression (I tried a lot of different ones but let's start with the simplest one) to the Size attribute.
Code: Select all
1 + (sin((time / (GlobalOut - GlobalIn)) * pi) * (2.5 - 1))

3. Next, to check if my expression calculates correctly I also created a "Text+" Node and added an expression to the text field with the same formula wrapped in
Code: Select all
Text(1 + (sin((time / (GlobalOut - GlobalIn)) * pi) * (2.5 - 1))
)

Problem:
Now you will see that the expression in the "Text+" node is working and showing the correct numbers but it's not working for the transform node. I'm having the same issues when trying to animate the "TimeStrecher" attribute "Source Time".

Others:
Also, how can I get the "Composition.StartFrame" and "Composition.EndFrame" I only found "GlobalIn" and "GlobalOut"?

A nice site tip I'm looking for would be if there is a way to make the expression window bigger or access a code editor, I think it's awful to adjust the formula in that window if it's getting more complex.

Thank you a lot for your help regarding this.
Director / DP / VFX Supervisor | www.benjaminkratzin.com | vimeo.com/benjaminkratzin

xunile

Re: Expression for automated curves not working

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:01 pm

Have you tried using AnimCurves?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to Fusion