Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Overhang Comp

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Groentemandjie

Overhang Comp

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:45 am

Hi there,

First time poster who's new to the Fusion page in Resolve. I'd love some technical and creative input on a composite that I'm working on for a passion project, and much thanks to anyone who is willing to take a look!

The idea is to create an overhang that looks down onto a river below (see first two pictures) - so 'Rock' in the foreground, and 'Water' down below in the background.

TWO THINGS TO NOTE: For story purposes the height of the drop needs to feel scary enough to make you think twice about jumping, but not too high that it feels like you'll definitely die. And the foreground shot is not static - the camera tracks backwards 'over' the rock, tilting up and tracking backwards so the river moves of frame. (The whole shot is about 2 seconds)

I've been playing with this for a while, creating a mask for the foreground, then stabilizing the background before adding the tracking data (from the planar tracker on the rockface clip) to 'warp' the background to match the camera movement of the foreground... with reasonably satisfactory results. But I recently acquired the studio version, and I have questions...

1. MEDIA QUALITY AND PROXIES: I am using the raw MXF files from camera to do this, as I am afraid that a drop in quality might affect the comp. But my playback and render is quite slow (See computer specs below). What are my best options here in terms of file formats or proxies to make it easier on the computer while retaining all the info I need for the comp? (I have also tried using saver/loader nodes without having made much of a change).

2. BEST TOOLS FOR DESIRED EFFECT: For what I am trying to achieve, I would be very open to suggestions on the best tools. I'm thinking that maybe I should use the camera tracker instead of the planar tracker, for example? Or are there ways to warp the background better to adjust for camera movement? Then there's also the issue of creating more distance and having the background move less relative to the foreground? Basically any advice on workflow and/or tools that would be best to tackle this comp would be greatly appreciated.

3. ADDING LEAVES AND GREENERY: If you take a look at the last picture - Surroundings - this is the surrounding space that the foreground rock lives in, which we also see in our story. I feel like the last piece of the puzzle with regards to making this shot that looks down onto the water feel like it realistically lives in that space, is to maybe add some leaves and branches on the top and sides of the frame - so that when we jump out it still feels like there could be water down there - almost like we are looking down at the water through an overgrown area. Here I am completely in the dark and don't know where to start or how to go about it. Would I have to go film some leaves separately, or are there other options? Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for reading!

Rock.jpg
Rock
Rock.jpg (497.04 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Water.jpg
Water
Water.jpg (744.47 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Surroundings.jpg
Surroundings
Surroundings.jpg (758.18 KiB) Viewed 105 times

I am using Da Vinci Resolve Studio 18.6; Macbook Pro 2017, 13-inch, 8GB Ram (I know it's not enough RAM, but I need to make due).
Stiaan Smith

Return to Fusion