Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Composite layers

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

FunnyBoy

Composite layers

PostWed May 22, 2024 11:26 am

Hi all. I'm trying to make a cat appear in frame using a composite of two shots.

Total.jpg
Total.jpg (99.11 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Unless I'm mistaken, I'll have to cut around the cut with a pen tool for every frame. At the moment the clip I'm working on will just have a transparent background, instead of the clip I have underneath it in the timeline.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 9.14.28 pm.png
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 9.14.28 pm.png (591.78 KiB) Viewed 560 times

How do I see both clips in the one screen in Fusion?

KrunoSmithy

Re: Composite layers

PostWed May 22, 2024 5:31 pm

FunnyBoy wrote:Hi all. I'm trying to make a cat appear in frame using a composite of two shots.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'll have to cut around the cut with a pen tool for every frame.

It depends on what you want. Are you creating just a rough mask, so called garbage matt, which is easy to make with rough lose selection around the subject and adjust if there is a big movement, the rest of key-frames will be linearly created by fusion.

Does that cat move at all, very much or very little. If its small movement than most of the frames you don't have to adjust very much, if there are large movements you have to.

Are you making a very precise mask of all the fur details and everything, in which case complex rotoscoping will have to be done, which is beyond something I can easily explain here. But you would track the subject, stabilize the footage and do rotoscoping by body parts and planes and than adjust over time.

A lot easier and quicker version of events could be if you have access to magic mask tool, which might be enough for what you need and its a lot easier and quicker for this kind of work.

FunnyBoy wrote: How do I see both clips in the one screen in Fusion?

You can use the option to display both viewers and than drag the nodes into the viewer you want to see.

sshot-4030.jpg
sshot-4030.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 471 times

FunnyBoy

Re: Composite layers

PostMon May 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Yes the cat moves across the doorway, so perhaps I need to invest some time into learning rotoscoping. I'll see if I can do it frame by frame for now, as it's only 4 or so seconds.

I'm not sure magic mask will work but I'll try. Thank you.

Return to Fusion