Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Training Videos

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Jamie LeJeune

  • Posts: 664
  • Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 am
  • Location: San Francisco

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 am

Is what appears on this thread really the extent of what exists for Fusion training?
Now that BMD has dropped the price of the Studio Version there's bound to be a lot of interest in using it for even simple motion graphics work for folks who want to ditch the monthly Adobe CC payment just for After Effects.

C'mom BMD, get on it and hire someone amazing for Fusion to rewrite the manual and create awesome video training like you hired Alexis Van Hurkman for Resolve! You've got a perfect model there, just follow the same path for Fusion!!!
www.incafilms.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1541
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:41 pm

I want Andrew Kramer to man up, and do some Fusion tuts :D
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Set your zebras to 100%, ETTR and you're golden - and NO, you can't use TB as output for an external monitor, and you can't download the footy via TB ether.
Offline

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 1466
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:C'mom BMD, get on it and hire someone amazing for Fusion to rewrite the manual and create awesome video training like you hired Alexis Van Hurkman for Resolve! You've got a perfect model there, just follow the same path for Fusion!!!


The Resolve manual isn't a perfect model by any means.

It needs continuous integration, too. That's why rigidly formatted PDF manuals are terrible for software that is so complex. Also, there probably isn't one person who is qualified to write the thing. It may, by practical necessity, need to be a committee effort.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 1466
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:I want Andrew Kramer to man up, and do some Fusion tuts :D


The problem being anyone reading this messages knows more about Fusion than he does.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1541
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Bwhahaha :lol:
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Set your zebras to 100%, ETTR and you're golden - and NO, you can't use TB as output for an external monitor, and you can't download the footy via TB ether.
Offline

Jay Soriano

  • Posts: 116
  • Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 1:00 am

Ok now that Fusion 9 is out, I'm ready to jump in and learn. Will check youtube and google... What's the latest on excellent tutorials?
2011 15" Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz i7
macOS Sierra 10.12.3
AMD 6770M 1GB
16GB RAM
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4
Sonnet Fusion PCIe Thunderbolt 2 SSD Flash Drive
Offline
User avatar

Adelson Munhoz

  • Posts: 214
  • Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 1:18 am

Try these:

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCysXflqUMpUxOf1fiqDjn6Q"

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkk0mmgb5UMuBjK8cT64now"

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCScpuAExh0dwzFnqIxf5NHQ"

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agH3mOPbGhs&list=PLeZvvhzFi_ZxQaF4u5D_YqqM6_nf974rP"

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvxQf9jEKXo&list=PLzx5ZMG3gsG84cLgGh-ucboI4G3IFP5uA"

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCipLMPXrLt5ggS6L9oPwTOg"

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQSOtwPwyps&list=PLrwd7_Tc3c9xUs3jbiZ0rKxGWrdtsbsSd"

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBVd_V02uE&list=PLXrNZxsK3Q4nZ_p3amtn6CLyJZYNxia4A"
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 829
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:24 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Is what appears on this thread really the extent of what exists for Fusion training?


It *is* puzzling -- and the videos "available" on the BMD Fusion page are *still* "private".

To take at its simplest: there a numerous mentions on the Resolve board for using Fusion for titles, thanks to the limitations in Resolve proper. But search for that subject in either of two Fusion 9 reference manuals, and you won't find a thing. It's nuts, this enormously powerful application (so people say, anyway), and no instruction on how to use it.
Offline

Mark Sterne

  • Posts: 220
  • Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 am

John Paines wrote:
Jamie LeJeune wrote:Is what appears on this thread really the extent of what exists for Fusion training?


It *is* puzzling -- and the videos "available" on the BMD Fusion page are *still* "private".

To take at its simplest: there a numerous mentions on the Resolve board for using Fusion for titles, thanks to the limitations in Resolve proper. But search for that subject in either of two Fusion 9 reference manuals, and you won't find a thing. It's nuts, this enormously powerful application (so people say, anyway), and no instruction on how to use it.


I am able to access Fusion training on BMD site here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

Maybe this is not the page you are trying to access?

I agree that there is a surprising lack of training videos compared to, say AE or Nuke. But there are some good ones available, Adelson's links are worth checking out. Thenika's videos were really helpful to me.
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 829
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:47 am

Mark Sterne wrote:I am able to access Fusion training on BMD site here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

Maybe this is not the page you are trying to access?


Turns out it was a Chrome browser extension conflict, which prevented viewing. So at least the videos are available.

I do wish the manuals were more helpful. Operations may be obvious for someone with an fx background, but otherwise it's a foreign language.
Offline

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 1466
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 6:37 pm

John Paines wrote:
Mark Sterne wrote:I am able to access Fusion training on BMD site here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

Maybe this is not the page you are trying to access?


Turns out it was a Chrome browser extension conflict, which prevented viewing. So at least the videos are available.

I do wish the manuals were more helpful. Operations may be obvious for someone with an fx background, but otherwise it's a foreign language.


The reverse is true for anyone trying to read the Resolve user guide. It's hard learning not just the software but the philosophy and background for it.

I wonder if anyone has tried making a sideline gig out of doing remote desktop training. I know it's so much easier to do 1:1 training, I bet you could get up and running in under an hour if you had the right tutor.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline

Steve Alexander

  • Posts: 237
  • Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:15 am

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 am

I wish Ripple training had a Fusion expert. Particularly one with Resolve expertise as well.
Resolve 14.0.0B.061 (beta 7) | Win 10 Pro Creator | i7, K4200 (385.08), 24GB RAM
Offline
User avatar

Jamie LeJeune

  • Posts: 664
  • Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 am
  • Location: San Francisco

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I wish Ripple training had a Fusion expert. Particularly one with Resolve expertise as well.

I've talked to the Ripple folks about it a couple times and they said they might do something, but it didn't appear to be a priority compared to other apps. I encourage you to contact them and request Fusion tutorials. Perhaps if they get more requests, they will do something.
www.incafilms.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/
Offline

robredman

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 pm

These probably won't be of any use to experienced users but I've started posting my Fusion 9 new features videos on my channel. SO far posted Planar tracker and Camera tracker tutorials. More to come.
More importantly I'd love to get some feedback, hear what you think and what you'd like to see more or less of.

Find me: pariahrob on youtube and twitter.
Offline

Steve Alexander

  • Posts: 237
  • Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:15 am

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 pm

HI Jamie - I did contact them about Fusion tutorials (last year) and they told me they couldn't find anyone to create them with sufficient quality. So a lack of expertise in their own group at this point. Too bad. Maybe I'll ping them again.
Resolve 14.0.0B.061 (beta 7) | Win 10 Pro Creator | i7, K4200 (385.08), 24GB RAM
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 1562
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

If you don't desperately need videos to learn, try some reading with Bryan Ray.

I can recommend his tutorials for a precise and deep introduction.
Offline

Ciro Cardoso

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 am

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I was very happy to see some Project Files that you could download and learn more. But honestly we need more of that and more training. Not only about the tools, but also some practical effects and post work as well.

Like the guys at Blur use Fusion, why don't grab some of them and do a couple of nice tutorials.
Offline

Sander de Regt

  • Posts: 536
  • Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 1:20 pm

What kind of stuff are you looking for? The range of topics is so wide, you need to be more precise.
Personally I've recently done a tutorial on muzzle flashes in Fusion. Some of the techniques in there can be applied to a range of topics.

Offline

Ciro Cardoso

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 am

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 4:58 pm

I want to use Fusion for Architectural Visualization. I know it sounds crazy when you think you can use Photoshop. But I want to use 32 bit files and I want to have a more flexible way to work between reviews and small changes. I would love to see something about colour gradding\correction and adding effects like smoke, water, et. More related to VFX. Some matte painting as well.

I think that what BMD did with that ship project is fantastic. We could have more of that, so you can learn how to use Fusion. Like, I loved how they created chromatic aberration.
Offline

Daniel Stern

  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 pm

robredman wrote:These probably won't be of any use to experienced users but I've started posting my Fusion 9 new features videos on my channel. SO far posted Planar tracker and Camera tracker tutorials. More to come.
More importantly I'd love to get some feedback, hear what you think and what you'd like to see more or less of.

Find me: pariahrob on youtube and twitter.


Hi Rob ,thanks for your great job. We really need more stuff like that. Especially for beginners / easy advanced. For advanced/specialists exist some nice possibilities. What we need are some fundamental /easy advanced trainings. There are some nice videos out there, but sometimes the makers pack too much information in a short clip. As a beginner you are always missing some background information. So we need really methodically built tutorials. This would be really BMD's job. They should hire some good trainers. That would pay off for them. Think of their universe of hardware, software and services and the potential of an increasing user base. There is the diversity of available trainings what makes the competitors so strong. As they did with their software, BMD must go the same consistent way with the trainings to attract more people ( filmmakers, enthusiasts ... )

Thanks again Rob for your effort. You're welcome.


.
Offline

Daniel Stern

  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:What kind of stuff are you looking for? The range of topics is so wide, you need to be more precise.
Personally I've recently done a tutorial on muzzle flashes in Fusion. Some of the techniques in there can be applied to a range of topics.



Thanks also for your effort. I would like to see a tutorial about glass shattering, Perhaps a more profound series about the particle system ( ok this is huge ). I searched the whole web for a tutorial (glass shattering), nothing, ok, I gave up it was late.

BTW, you are a very gifted trainer. You should make more for Fusion and BMD should open a program to collect these fantastic tutorials.
Offline

Peter Paterson

  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:43 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Offline

Sander de Regt

  • Posts: 536
  • Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I just created a new tutorial on how to use Fusion Studio's Planar Tracker for wrinkle removal.
Of course this technique can be applied to other 'beauty work' as well.
I hope you enjoy it.

Offline

Peter Paterson

  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:43 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Cheers, Sander.
Previous

Return to Fusion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Peter Loveday and 8 guests