Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Deep Compositing in Fusion ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Vincent Audineau

Deep Compositing in Fusion ?

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Hello,
I would like to know if BM plans to implement Nuke's deep compositing system.
It could be really nice to Fusion to get this feature and use deep camera map image.
It a must have for Highend FX solution imho.

Vincent
Vincent AUDINEAU
www.vbkstudio.com

MichaelMiller

Re: Deep Compositing in Fusion ?

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 pm

I think what your trying to ask if Fusion is going to support OpenEXR 2.0 Deep Image files. I am pretty sure they will eventually but implementing it takes time and it has to be done well because the files sizes it produces are huge and will cripple most people's computer infrastructure. Deep image file handling(and EXR handling in general) in Nuke before v9 was extremely slow. Most people probably don't need to use deep images in the first place.

Michael Wolf

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 1:37 am

I've written some deep test including a deep EXR exporter and viewer to explore the data structures.
If one right, they are actually not that heavy, since multiple samples only need to be stored for pixels that actually consist of different surfaces/objects in the first place.
However, you certainly need to process more data and can't use many of the shortcuts available for flat images. It's also quite expensive (but possible) to change the sample count of the image during a processing operation.

And yes, that other package is slow as a snail dealing with them (I was really surprised when I tested it) - but then it seems to be quite slow in the first place.

Having said that, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I'd love to see proper deep images implemented. Heck, I'd even help if required. ;)

Cheers,
Mike
Michael Wolf - db&w GbR
http://www.db-w.com

Vincent Audineau

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 8:45 am

Yes Michael, I speak about EXR 2.0 support.
Images are huge indeed. Even if I notice it render engine dependant. Arnold make really huge DCM compare to Mantra for the exact same result in Nuke.
The fact is the computer gains power everyday while the disc space become cheaper ... Then I think this techno is the future of comp. Fusion have the 3d space and can already deal with volume and point cloud.
The support of the exr and DCM could just close the circle imho.
Vincent AUDINEAU
www.vbkstudio.com

Return to Fusion