Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Transform gizmo

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kirill Kryukov

Transform gizmo

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Is there a convenient way to scale objects while composing them? I mean something like Photoshop transform gizmo. Something where I could scale it only in one selected axis and use randomly placed center of transformation to precisely scale things. In a word to select and drag one corner or maybe drag a side separately/independently ?

Derek Serra

Re: Transform gizmo

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 10:39 pm

The transform tool does this. If you move the pivot point, you can rotate and scale from that point.

Kirill Kryukov

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Derek Serra wrote: If you move the pivot point, you can rotate and scale from that point.

Do you mean manually set digits in pivot x,y inputs ? No direct on-screen pivot manipulation?

Derek Serra

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 6:26 am

You can do it on screen. With the transform tool selected, press tab to cycle through the different controls. When the 'X' in the middle of the screen is highlighted, you can click and drag it to where you want.

Kirill Kryukov

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 11:29 am

Thank you very much.

ps. I am curious if it's possible to change default appearance of the transform "tool" by having pivot point always in a corner, not center of the object and put it on tools shelf maybe?

Marc van Vliet

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi!

You can set the pivot to your preferred default location (0,0 = left under). Then right click on the toolsettings window and select Setting:Save default

Voila!

Derek Serra

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Personally, whenever I use the transform tool, I don't need to move the pivot point most of the time. When I do need to move it, I type '.4' or something in the X or Y field to move it away from center, and then drag it from there.

If you really want a default setting in the corner, there are a couple ways to do it. You can create a fuse, or you can save a macro.

Another method would be to save the tool (once you have set the default pivot) in the bins, so you can access it later.

Ivan Ivanov

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Kirill Kryukov wrote:Thank you very much.

ps. I am curious if it's possible to change default appearance of the transform "tool" by having pivot point always in a corner, not center of the object and put it on tools shelf maybe?

The easiest way will be, on a freshly dropped into the comp transform tool to set the pivot where you like and then right click on the node and choose: settings >> save default.
This way whenever you add transform tool into comp from now on will have its pivot where you set it.

You can save default settings like this for all tools to your liking.

Derek Serra

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks Ivan! I've been using Fusion for years, but didn't know that one.

Kirill Kryukov

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks a lot.

Return to Fusion