Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Feature Requests?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

Fusion Feature Requests?

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:04 am

Firstly thank you Blackmagic for saving me from After Effects. I hate the idea of software rental. Mainly because I don't want my old projects to be entombed in a virtual box with a money sucking lock, should I ever decide to move to a competeing product. I had been contemplating Nuke, but it's just too damn expensive. So I now have the answer to my problem. Thank you.

So the assumption is that BMD will do what they did with Resolve and start remodeling and improving Fusion. So the obvious question is what features would everyone like to see added?

Personally the big one that stands out for me is that I would love to have good solid 3d and planar tracking within Fusion. That one would be huge.

Vincent Audineau

Re: Fusion Feature Requests?

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 8:44 am

Feature request ?
Ok I have one :

Deep compositing ( ala nuke) allowing Fusion to use DCM from highend 3d software.
Vincent AUDINEAU
www.vbkstudio.com

Steffen Dünner

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 12:11 pm

After exploring Fusion for a few days, these are the most important to me:

- A proper linear workflow / OCIO integration. Cough, like Nuke, cough ;)

- Offer different navigation styles, especially in 3D viewports. That middle-mouse + left-mouse to zoom is awkward. Alt + left / middle / right for orbit / pan / zoom is supported by almost any 3D app on the market and would make navigation when switching between apps much more fluent.

- Planar tracker / 3D camera tracker would be nice to completely replace Nuke here.

Apart from that, it's nice to see Fusion prosper. We're already thinking about switching to Fusion Studio from Nuke, mainly because it's so effing expensive and a simple Nuke (without the "X") is almost completely useless to us because of the limitations. Plus it comes with NO render licenses, not a single one. Even the yearly maintenance is more expensive than a complete version of Fusion Studio with unlimited render licenses! ;)
Nice move, Blackmagic!

Mike Bozulich

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 12:42 am

A few feature requests off the top of my head:
  • Planar Tracker
  • 3D tracker
  • Improved 2D tracker
  • Spline warp (morpher)
  • Soft Clipping
  • Better multichannel support
  • Un/premult tools
  • Better cloning control in paint tool (see Nuke)
  • Smarter, better designed color correct tool

michael vorberg

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 9:20 am

Steffen Dünner wrote:After exploring Fusion for a few days, these are the most important to me:

- A proper linear workflow / OCIO integration. Cough, like Nuke, cough ;)

- Offer different navigation styles, especially in 3D viewports. That middle-mouse + left-mouse to zoom is awkward. Alt + left / middle / right for orbit / pan / zoom is supported by almost any 3D app on the market and would make navigation when switching between apps much more fluent.

OCIO is integrated
linear workflow is fully there, but not as nice as it could be. see the post in the forum here.
the navigation is great, if you use a wacom tablet you will see how great and easy it is. i believe its the main reason they made it this way

Paul Ingvarsson

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 9:42 am

I'd have to say i'd like to see MXF native import (DNX) into Fusion. Would save loads of time/wasted space when comping footage from an Avid workflow.

Paul
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Win Conway

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Definitely would like to see the navigation updated to be inline with other 3D apps, right now it is horrid

michael vorberg

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Mike Bozulich wrote:A few feature requests off the top of my head:

• Soft Clipping
  • Un/premult tools

softclip macro: http://www.bildfehler.de/fx/fusion5.html

un/premult tools: add tool->matte->alpha multiply/divide or use a channel boolean or custom tool or the node setup i posted here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29503

what is a better, smarter color corrector look like? what does it better/smarter?

Vahik Asoyan

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 11:23 pm

I use fusion for:
1. Combining render passes together and tweaking them,
2. Creating additional passes inside fusions 3d space based on the imported models from 3d application's, to reduce the time needed for getting the same result from 3d application,
3. Creating scenes from scratch modeling/rendering/animation/motiongraphics fully done in fusion
4. Creating animatics in very short time, fully in fusions 3d space, which is the fastest way to show a client approximate motion and composition.
5. Just having fun, because it's easy to use, gets job done and fun to watch how others can't understand node based workflow :D

So my request for near future is not the 3d or planar tracking, that will be always needed, but can be done in other softwares, but is the:

1. fully integration of great plugin krokodove
2. Better Grid Warp ( be able to create a grid around any shape, by painting it, and decrease or increase grid rows and size during animation, without loosing everything, maybe a button like in the sculpting software's? to get higher level to continue the work, without loosing previous layer's)

I tried to be realistic in request's. Hope there are already fun made solutions out there ;)
Cheers!!!
Last edited by Vahik Asoyan on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Beswick

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 7:23 am

Import support for OBJ files.

mykolas.sadauskas

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 9:42 am

FBX mesh 3D node imports FBX and OBJ meshes as well.
Regards,

Miko

Florian Hirschmann

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 10:20 am

Please integrate Resolve's denoise algorithms as well as it's tracker into Fusion. Fusion's glow on the other hand would be a nice tool in Resolve.

Marc van Vliet

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 11:11 am

Mike Bozulich wrote:A few feature requests off the top of my head:
  • Planar Tracker
  • 3D tracker
  • Improved 2D tracker

It's already one of the best 2d trackers around. You just need to configure it correctly
  • Spline warp (morpher)

Tried grid warp ?
  • Soft Clipping
  • Better multichannel support
  • Un/premult tools
  • Better cloning control in paint tool (see Nuke)

Win Conway

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 1:17 pm

If we are talking Resolve to Fusion, library browser for clips (Very slick in Resolve)

michael vorberg

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Dennis Beswick wrote:Import support for OBJ files.

you can do it right now, the FBXMesh tool and the file->imort FBX scene can read:
    .3ds
    .amc
    .aoa
    .asf
    .bvh
    .c3d
    .dxf.
    .dae
    .fbx
    .htr
    .mcd
    .obj
    .trc

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Win Conway wrote:If we are talking Resolve to Fusion, library browser for clips (Very slick in Resolve)

Fusion has a bin system where you can store clips and scrub them. You can also share settings and clips with other users (With Fusion 7.5 the free version doesn't network though according to the product page).

The downside of this system (which hasn't gotten much love for years) is that it's not browsing directory structures. Just clips you place there manually. It would be nice to update this.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Dennis Beswick

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 2:18 am

michael vorberg wrote:
Dennis Beswick wrote:Import support for OBJ files.

you can do it right now, the FBXMesh tool and the file->imort FBX scene can read:
    .3ds
    .amc
    .aoa
    .asf
    .bvh
    .c3d
    .dxf.
    .dae
    .fbx
    .htr
    .mcd
    .obj
    .trc

Wow! Thanks for that. I was able to bring in an Xfrog tree I made. :D

James Martindale

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 4:52 am

I'm also looking at Fusion to escape the rental prison of After Effects. What I really need in order to do that is something to replace the Music Reactor plugin that lets you create visualizations for music.

ChangsooEun

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 7:48 am

Steffen Dünner wrote:- Offer different navigation styles, especially in 3D viewports. That middle-mouse + left-mouse to zoom is awkward. Alt + left / middle / right for orbit / pan / zoom is supported by almost any 3D app on the market and would make navigation when switching between apps much more fluent.

Well... I prefer middle to pan/middle scroll to zoom/alt+middle for orbit.

Win Conway

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 10:47 am

Stefan Ihringer wrote:
Win Conway wrote:If we are talking Resolve to Fusion, library browser for clips (Very slick in Resolve)

Fusion has a bin system where you can store clips and scrub them. You can also share settings and clips with other users (With Fusion 7.5 the free version doesn't network though according to the product page).

The downside of this system (which hasn't gotten much love for years) is that it's not browsing directory structures. Just clips you place there manually. It would be nice to update this.

The bins are archaic in comparison to Resolves browser, that is why i mentioned it

Alaz Soytemiz

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Fusion-Resolve integration (fast workflow from conforming edl to export finished work)

Motion vector pass (especially for particles) or particles that doesn't change when you enable MB.

Plannar tracker

Krokodove for new versions (OSX)
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Eric Marodon

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 am

I would add a better sound workflow : aility to load a sound in a loader (including mp3), see the waveform in the timeline (similar to the saver node, but with ability to move it across the timeline and have more than one sound file at a time and juste use regular merges to mix them).
Nothing more than what AE has.

Vincent Audineau

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 am

Support of Alembic Camera.
Vincent AUDINEAU
www.vbkstudio.com

Lee Puznowski

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Vincent Audineau wrote:Support of Alembic Camera.

through File->Import->Alembic Scene you can import the entire scene including camera. Or is there some other special camera function that isn't coming in?

Pieter Van Houte

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Already there. But it is recommended that you use File->Import->Alembic over manually adding an AlembicMesh3D tool directly to the flow.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Pieter Van Houte

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 5:08 pm

James Martindale wrote:I'm also looking at Fusion to escape the rental prison of After Effects. What I really need in order to do that is something to replace the Music Reactor plugin that lets you create visualizations for music.

You can do that with Krokodove's Audio node. One of my personal favourites :)

But you'll have to wait a little for Fusion Studio to run it.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Vincent Audineau

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Pieter Van Houte wrote:

Already there. But it is recommended that you use File->Import->Alembic over manually adding an AlembicMesh3D tool directly to the flow.

Thanks for tips. I'll try ASAP !
Vincent AUDINEAU
www.vbkstudio.com

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 pm

I agree that when one uses pen tablet, then navigation in Fusion may be quite efficient. But many of us don't, and that makes Fusion navigation quite frustrating. Nuke is a nice example navigation can be both pen tablet and mouse friendly at once.
https://www.artstation.com/rawalanche

Win Conway

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Pieter Van Houte wrote:
James Martindale wrote:I'm also looking at Fusion to escape the rental prison of After Effects. What I really need in order to do that is something to replace the Music Reactor plugin that lets you create visualizations for music.

You can do that with Krokodove's Audio node. One of my personal favourites :)

But you'll have to wait a little for Fusion Studio to run it.

Now that i have been using Fusion a while i can see why it is indeed Lite, without the Krokodove plugin it has a very outdated toolset, you couldnt really use the app as your main FX engine without buying studio and using plugins

Derek Serra

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Win Conway wrote:Now that i have been using Fusion a while i can see why it is indeed Lite, without the Krokodove plugin it has a very outdated toolset, you couldnt really use the app as your main FX engine without buying studio and using plugins

I use Fusion for production every day, with only one plugin: Neat Video's Reduce Noise. I've never used Krokodove, so I don't know what I'm missing. Still, the tool is plenty good for doing visual effects shots.

Win Conway

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 5:08 pm

I did say FX engine, its a great compositor and capable of some great effects too, but without Krokodove is missing some basics, that is why there is a studio version ;)

Rony Soussan

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Just a quick reminder that Fusion studio includes Generation for managing clips, elements, versions, playback etc.. it's like a super bin!

Vivek Singh

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Integrating nuke like "Camera Tracker" would be a great addition and would help save lot of time. :D

Chad Capeland

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Just a quick reminder that Fusion studio includes Generation for managing clips, elements, versions, playback etc.. it's like a super bin!

Rony, you at BMD?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Hideki Inoue

PostFri Feb 06, 2015 9:24 am

Nuke finally support Sony MXF. Please hurry up!
Fusion Studio v18.6.4 / DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Intel® Core™ i9-13900KS / 128GB RAM / Nvidia Geforce RTX 4090 (546.33) / Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Intel® Core™ i9-7980XE / 128GB RAM / Nvidia RTX A5000 (536.67) / Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Rony Soussan

PostFri Feb 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
Rony Soussan wrote:Just a quick reminder that Fusion studio includes Generation for managing clips, elements, versions, playback etc.. it's like a super bin!

Rony, you at BMD?

Yup! Here and loving it!

Tanawat Wattanachinda

PostSat Feb 07, 2015 11:00 am

Some sort of Visual indicator to show what node connect to what node via expression or parameter linking

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 12:08 am

Tanawat Wattanachinda wrote:Some sort of Visual indicator to show what node connect to what node via expression or parameter linking

For now workaround would be to color the tiles that have a relationship. For example you can color them all the same color to remind you they have connected parameters or have the master node colored while nodes that use its values have only colored text in the same color. Or you can always drop the note underneath them with explanation. Use this script for easier tool color management http://www.bildfehler.de/fx/Tool%20Colo ... yeonscript

In order to fix this Fusion needs a separate scheme view that shows how values are being fed. Separate view would be a much better option as the additional web would make the flow too crowded and hard to comprehend.

My suggestion for the feature would be for a much improved merge tool, kind of like power layer merge. Tool would act like slot or stack tool, single tool which you can populate with content on vertical basis and each slot would have its own output and mask input along side the master tool output. Each filled slot will have its own Merge options as well. Just imagine populating such a tool with PSD file where each layer is placed into separate slot so instead of having gazzilion merge tools and a utter clutter or being limited to work with only one layer at the time you will have all that inside of a single tool. Very powerful tool that saves up the space on the flow as well.

Tanawat Wattanachinda

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 4:40 am

Vladimir LaFortune wrote:For now workaround would be to color the tiles that have a relationship. For example you can color them all the same color to remind you they have connected parameters or have the master node colored while nodes that use its values have only colored text in the same color. Or you can always drop the note underneath them with explanation. Use this script for easier tool color management http://www.bildfehler.de/fx/Tool%20Colo ... yeonscript

Thank you for the script. unfortunately, I got an error
Code: Select all
...gn/Fusion/Scripts/Comp/Tool Color Labels v20.eyeonscript:195: attempt to call a table value

In order to fix this Fusion needs a separate scheme view that shows how values are being fed. Separate view would be a much better option as the additional web would make the flow too crowded and hard to comprehend.

or a simple dash line. with a quick way to turn visibility ON/OFF

Simon Dayan

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 2:03 pm

mask tracking can be great!
also change the light type in the control [generic light component ]
integration with Resolve or control my BMCC raw camera data atc...
[create 3D Geometry and edit points face ...]
***3d tracking

Stefan Ihringer

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Tanawat Wattanachinda wrote:Thank you for the script. unfortunately, I got an error
...gn/Fusion/Scripts/Comp/Tool Color Labels v20.eyeonscript:195: attempt to call a table value

Fusion 7 needs some small fixes in for loops:

change line 195 to:
for i,c in ipairs(ColorSchemes) do

change line 207 to:
for i,c in ipairs(UnderlaySchemes) do

and probably line 146 to:
for _,t in pairs(setting["Tools"]) do

The reason why I didn't release an updated version of my script yet is that it's no longer possible in Fusion 7 to have colorful buttons. This makes the whole script only half as useful in my opinion.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Tanawat Wattanachinda

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:
Tanawat Wattanachinda wrote:Thank you for the script. unfortunately, I got an error

Fusion 7 needs some small fixes in for loops:

change line 195 to:
for i,c in ipairs(ColorSchemes) do

change line 207 to:
for i,c in ipairs(UnderlaySchemes) do

and probably line 146 to:
for _,t in pairs(setting["Tools"]) do

The reason why I didn't release an updated version of my script yet is that it's no longer possible in Fusion 7 to have colorful buttons. This makes the whole script only half as useful in my opinion.

Thank you for the fix, got it to work.

conradhughes

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 pm

I'd also request a Krokodove integration--it's the only thing I want in the free version that I can't have. I would pay $1-200 to unlock the ability to add non-OFX plugins.

Chad Capeland

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 pm

conradhughes wrote:I'd also request a Krokodove integration--it's the only thing I want in the free version that I can't have. I would pay $1-200 to unlock the ability to add non-OFX plugins.

But allowing you to load in any plugins you want allows you to circumvent the other restrictions on the free version by just releasing plugins for them.

KKD used to cost I think $1500 by itself. Getting Fusion for $999 and KKD for the cost of some lego sets is pretty impressive.

I suppose it's possible that BMD could pay Raf some amount of money to get KKD, but like Dimension, BMD would likely only include it with the Studio version.
Last edited by Chad Capeland on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

conradhughes

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah, you're right. Thanks anyway and thanks for your reply.

Robert Siebert

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Request:

a more inintuitive UI for the channelBoolean Node (checkboxes and NOT endless dropdown boxes) and also a better support for the channel handling with the EXR Loader. Both are are very time-consuming and a nightmare to handle.

Thanks

Fred Pienkos

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Paul Ingvarsson wrote:I'd have to say i'd like to see MXF native import (DNX) into Fusion. Would save loads of time/wasted space when comping footage from an Avid workflow.

Paul

There are a couple of requests in this thread that I would also like to support. The native MXF support would definitely be a welcomed addition.

A spline warper tool would be excellent as well. As would a pin morpher like After Effects has. Those are very helpful at times.

Cheers to BMD!

Chad Capeland

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Robert Siebert wrote:Request:

a more inintuitive UI for the channelBoolean Node (checkboxes and NOT endless dropdown boxes) and also a better support for the channel handling with the EXR Loader. Both are are very time-consuming and a nightmare to handle.

Thanks

Can you make a mockup of what you'd like to see? There's a lot of ways to do this, even the built in 3Bol has a different take on it.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Tanawat Wattanachinda

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Im noticing something today that really bug me, which is how Fusion update its image view.
If Im not mistaken Fusion BG compute every pixels and the show final render to user.
Which is really time consuming sometime when all I really want to see is a small region inside that comp. (yes, I know about the ROI enable, but that is predefined region. and even thou I set it to auto, the time it take to BG render and show the image actually seem the same to me. Am I the only one to think that?)

Am I missing something? Are there any setting or option I can turn on to force Fusion to update only part of the comp that actually show up on screen? (You know, like Nuke did) That would make comp super fast.

If there is no option for that. I really really like to request this feature.

Chad Capeland

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Tanawat Wattanachinda wrote:Am I missing something? Are there any setting or option I can turn on to force Fusion to update only part of the comp that actually show up on screen? (You know, like Nuke did) That would make comp super fast.

If there is no option for that. I really really like to request this feature.

You can set the ROI in the viewer to be "auto" and it will set to the viewed area.

However, there are a lot of reasons why this may not be any faster and might be slower. First, not all tools support ROI. Second, ROI is set per-viewer. If you have more than one viewer, and they have different ROI, then you have to render more. Further, ROI's can "swell" as they go upstream because of transforms and filtering.

You'd have to post your comp in order for me to tell you exactly what might be messing up your ROI calculations.

- Chad
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Next

Return to Fusion