Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Cinema DNG and LUT

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

paulbuchanan

Cinema DNG and LUT

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Firstly thank you so much for providing this fabulous tool for free, I have used it on and off for years but switched to after effects because few that's what every one wanted and few had heard of Fusion. I'm sure the latter will change now :)

I've tried loading a few raw sequences from my Pocket camera, it loads them ok, and plays them back via the playback button, but crashes when trying to scrub the timeline. Also there are no blackmagic luts so the colors are all off. I have tried various combinations using "gamut to lut" but I'm not getting far. Is there a preferred work flow? Should I output a lut from resolve and use that?

many thanks

paulbuchanan

Re: Cinema DNG and LUT

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 pm

OK found the problem with the weird colors, that was my fault, the half dozen or so clips I tried were experiments with infra red and various filters. When I loaded some standard clips the colors are as they should be.

However on scrubbing the timeline with RAW it still crashes 9 times out of 10, all the clips are stored on an SSD.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 pm

paulbuchanan wrote:OK found the problem with the weird colors, that was my fault, the half dozen or so clips I tried were experiments with infra red and various filters. When I loaded some standard clips the colors are as they should be.

However on scrubbing the timeline with RAW it still crashes 9 times out of 10, all the clips are stored on an SSD.

Ah good to know it's not just me. So BMD's new product in fact can not handle the footage from their cameras... The only time it doesn't crash for me is when I've rendered the timeline. Scrubbing through anything unrendered causes a crash.

Christopher Barry

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 1:04 am

Perhaps try dragging the Loader (LD) node over the Time Ruler and release. This auto detects the CDNG image sequence End Time and updates the Time Ruler. You may be scrubbing along the Time Ruler too far to the right where there are no frames, which may cause Fusion to crash. This technique solved the crashing for me. Alternatively, it could be something else causing Fusion to drop out for you. Good luck.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 1:09 am

Christopher Barry wrote:Perhaps try dragging the Loader (LD) node over the Time Ruler and release. This auto detects the CDNG image sequence End Time and updates the Time Ruler. You may be scrubbing along the Time Ruler too far to the right where there are no frames, which may cause Fusion to crash. This technique solved the crashing for me. Alternatively, it could be something else causing Fusion to drop out for you. Good luck.

Nope, that's not the problem.

Alain Dumais

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 pm

However on scrubbing the timeline with RAW it still crashes 9 times out of 10, all the clips are stored on an SSD.[/quote]

Same thing here. Crash everytime with raw file
Davinci Resolve 17.0
Microsoft Windows 10Pro
Intel 19-7900X 3.30Ghz 10 core
64 gig of Ram
2 X RTX2080 TI

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 12:02 am

Alain Dumais wrote:However on scrubbing the timeline with RAW it still crashes 9 times out of 10, all the clips are stored on an SSD.

Same thing here. Crash everytime with raw file[/quote]

I can't believe they would release the software with the Blackmagic name on it without first testing to see if it works with their own footage.

paulbuchanan

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 11:16 am

On further testing it only crashes with pocket cam footage, on send to display, including via intensity pro to another monitor. If you add a loader you can scrub all you like but on sending the output to display it will crash on scrub, I tried adding a cc and dent node and it would still scrub ok until any of the nodes were sent to screen.

I tried Red Scarlett footage from here [youtube dot com/watch?v=JIbD6LoOQDE] look for the download in the comments.
I created a project of correct dimensions added a loader, it plays and scrubs without issue.

Next I downloaded the BM Cinema camera footage here [video dot blackmagicdesign dot com/Shot_1.zip]

Same thing, I created a project added a loader, the footage scrubs and plays without issue.

I then downloaded the Bosphoros 4K yuv footage here [ultravideo dot cs dot tut dot fi/#testsequences], it displays garbage and wont play but does not crash.

Lucas Pfaff

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Comping in with raw DNG files isn't that common to begin with, though.
No LUT helps in the end when it doesn't fit the colourspace properly; debayering in DaVinci and working on that (e.g. DPX) is always the preferred workflow for comping

Return to Fusion