Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Octane Render Plugin

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ryan Bloomer

Octane Render Plugin

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Would be great to get some interest for an integrated Octane Render Plugin in Fusion. There is some discussion about the plug-in on the Octane forums. Not sure if I can post a link to another forum on here, but here is that discussion. http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 0&start=10

Hopefully we can get some contact between Blackmagic and OTOY to make this happen!

Thanks!

Ryan Bloomer

Re: Octane Render Plugin

PostThu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 pm

For any one that hasn't seen the announcement of Octane 3, I just looked at the website announcment of Octane Render 3, and on slide 49 they mention a plugin for Black Magic Fusion 360. Here is a link to the slide show presentation.http://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octanerender-3-worlds-best-gpu-renderer/

If anyone at Blackmagic or at Otoy is looking for beta testers we would be very interested.

Chad Capeland

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 am

I contacted them about making a Fusion plugin, but never heard back. Glad someone else is giving it a go.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 4:35 am

I bet that's a mistake. They probably meant Autodesk Fusion 360. Autodesk is an investor in Otoy, and Fusion 360 is their collaborative cloud CAD tool, which fits exactly with Otoy's cloud rendering model.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Les Candle

PostSun Apr 05, 2015 10:55 pm

I own Octane and it's great! I'd love to see it on Fusion.

The guy who might be able to get it done is doing Octane for Lightwave and Houdini, and Arnold for a few platforms I believe.

Of course, I can't get post a URL on this form - ahhhhh - so .... maybe just search for juanjgon in google!

Ryan Bloomer

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 11:28 pm

Les Candle,

Thanks for joining in the conversation. Not sure how much user negotiation is going to help find a developer for an Octane Render Fusion plugin. But having just purchased a Fusion Studio License and seeing the Octane Render for Nuke Beta just released, has made me start exploring the option of getting Nuke, just for the integration of Octane Render for live action compositing.

Chad Capeland

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 1:58 am

Ryan Bloomer wrote:Thanks for joining in the conversation. Not sure how much user negotiation is going to help find a developer for an Octane Render Fusion plugin.

Like I told OTOY, I'd be willing to make the plugin. They don't have a public SDK, so you have to contract with them to do it. It's not for lack of trying that there isn't a plugin for Fusion. :)
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Michael Wolf

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 10:24 am

Chad Capeland wrote:They don't have a public SDK, so you have to contract with them to do it. It's not for lack of trying that there isn't a plugin for Fusion. :)

Is there actually a current, public SDK for Fusion?

Cheers,
Mike
Michael Wolf - db&w GbR
http://www.db-w.com

Chad Capeland

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 pm

No, but we have the older Eyeon SDK's which can be used with older versions, and that's fine for the development timeline we're looking at.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Jules Bushell

PostSun Apr 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:I contacted them about making a Fusion plugin, but never heard back. Glad someone else is giving it a go.
-

I'm assuming making such a plugin is not easy? You'd need quite a lot of 3D programming knowledge plus CUDA, OpenGL and know C++ pretty well, or am I wrong?

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Chad Capeland

PostSun Apr 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:I contacted them about making a Fusion plugin, but never heard back. Glad someone else is giving it a go.
-

I'm assuming making such a plugin is not easy? You'd need quite a lot of 3D programming knowledge plus CUDA, OpenGL and know C++ pretty well, or am I wrong?

Jules

Sure, but it also depends on scope. Like if all you are doing is importing their scene file and passing render arguments and outputting an image? Easy. But if you want to integrate with Fusion in a meaningful way, that's more work, but Fusion's 3D SDK is reasonable, and we've worked with it before, for meshes, shaders, renderers, particles, etc. If you want to support lightfield and deep images, then you need to write all those tools from scratch, which is where it gets interesting. Oh, and there's the volume rendering workflow too. Trick is to manage scope and finance accordingly.

Something to find out, will BMD offer a dev version like Eyeon did? Was really nice for people to use to make plugins who didn't actually need to run the application. Since the plugins couldn't be run in the free version anyway, the dev version wouldn't change that, it would just have some things that would make it unusable for production (like severely crippled I/O or key tools missing).

- Chad
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion