Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

[wish ?] Proper EDL import

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Marek Subocz

[wish ?] Proper EDL import

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi Group,
i'd love to have a proper EDL import into Fusion Studio. Right now neither Fu nor Generation correctly conforms even simple EDL with DPX, where TC is the filename (despite the metadata).
What is more "ridiculous" - Resolve (lite) does it in no-time..
So please BMD - do incorporate THAT into Fusion Studio.. it can be even a script, as a start ;)

or can anyone share some production proven techniques / scripts? :)

Rony Soussan

Re: [wish ?] Proper EDL import

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Marek,

Fusion handling of EDL is indeed less than stellar at the moment, Generation is generally 'better' suited for that task. That being said, it has not been tested with all formats of EDL and I would be happy to take a look at what you have, maybe I can tweak the format a bit.
As for Resolve handling the EDL better, it's not as ridiculous as you think considering we have just recently acquired Fusion and it's design was not based around EDLs in the same way as a color grading/editing application would be.

Give us some time, we have a lot of developers on it now, and I am excited about Fusion in 2015!

Rony

Marek Subocz

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Thx Rony for fast and informative response.
The "issue" is - i've been playing with Generation just a bit and it was a no-go with our EDLs (AVID MC, DPX with TC as filenames). Of course it was out-of-the-box impression; we do know how much script-able generation IS (sadly not so much scripts with the installer).
the EDL was really simple (no time-speed changes, no multilayer, no fx), but neither Gen nor Fusion conformed correctly. That being said we're really waiting for the appearance of F-Studio, hoping that Gen would help us with conforming and distributing the job/shots. Honestly - we evaluated the N-studio, and there were some pretty neat stuff regarding structures and distribution, so we have hopes for Gen.

btw - will the EPP / BMDPP be available / enhanced ? ;) (yeah - give us an inch, Rony, and we'll take a mile ;) )

thank You again and Happy New / Fu Year!
Last edited by Marek Subocz on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikhail Korovyansky

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Alaz Soytemiz

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Hi Marek,

Fusion handling of EDL is indeed less than stellar at the moment, Generation is generally 'better' suited for that task.

Rony

i want to use generation to conform Resolve graded footage with EDL from Avid. but couldn't managed so far. is it a possible task for (up to date) Generation? is there a guide? i couldn't find in user manual.
Thnx
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Rony Soussan

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Not sure if you guys are aware, but you can use any number of python EDL parsing tools out there, and use that to drive the files into generation.
Generation cannot be an out of the box solution for everyone, it is however just a bunch of text files in a folder :)

Chad Capeland

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm

I'd be surprised if BMD wasn't planning on having a simple Resolve<->Fusion interop. Bring EDL into Resolve, select some shots (or the whole project), and export to .comp or .setting. Think Connection for Resolve.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Alaz Soytemiz

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 8:38 pm

I wasn't aware. Thank you for the tip. If it's not appropriate place to ask details about that phyton edl parsing tools i won't ask.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Rony Soussan

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm

It wouldn't hurt to start a scripting topic.

Jiri Sindelar

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Generation cannot be an out of the box solution for everyone, it is however just a bunch of text files in a folder :)

Problem is that Generation now is not flexible enough for decent conform. Looks like clip speedchanges (M2) are not possible, not to mention nonlinear speed ramps. And when you finally conform to Generation, you can't even check your result against offline reference, because there is only one video layer available.

For anyone interested, I wrote a tool for conforming that (kind of) works with Fusion. When I will figure out how to sell digital goods in EU this year, I do plan to ask for little money. Hope I don't break rules of this forum by sharing a link: http://vfxutilities.com/vfx-conform/

Generation is potentially great product but it needs some development IMHO. I bought Generation years ago in hope that it will evolve into something great. Fingers (still) crossed.

Jirka

Return to Fusion