Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

DPX seequence for reel

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kaspar Kallas

DPX seequence for reel

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Hello

What would be the workaround if we use file numbers based on timecode as Fusion seems to not understand really large numbers in sequence properly.

Thank You
Kaspar

Rony Soussan

Re: DPX seequence for reel

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Kaspar,

I'm not sure what you mean by fusion not handling large numbers, I have worked personally on 20000 frame sequences.

I would be happy to help, can you elaborate a bit?

Marek Subocz

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 pm

While the Global End feature can be set to bigger number there are issues with other stuff: ie

i have a sequence 1845142-1845168.dpx [TC: 20:30:05:17 - 20:30:06:18]. Duration of 26 frames.
In preferences>General > frame starts from->sequence (provides TC no. in TrimIn/Out fields)

So i copied and pasted TrimOut to Composition Global End. It works - so far so good.
Next step - i'm copying TrimIn to Loader Global In - and a bummer!

Loader Global In and Out are set / limited to 1000000 (and every Creator node i guess - i checked a few of them and that was the case!)
Composition Render Start is 1000000 and Render End is 1000026. Composition Global End is still 1845168

i think that is what Kaspar had in mind.
If not - here's another bug ;)

Rony Soussan

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Ok the problem is your trimming globals not the 'trim'

Globals can be a bit confusing at first. Globals are working range object, loader, comp, etc..

Comp globals define working range of the comp
Set timeline global in 1, and out 100 for example. now your working timeline is set 1-100
Add your clip to flow
you will notice the global in/out is set based on your clip length, not the comp. That's because it is longer and you need that working range for the clip, you are only interested in 100 frames. That does not mean you need to set your comp global in/out to the frame numbers you want in clip if your frames in loader you want are outside that range, it simply means that the global in of the loader, is set to the global in of your comp, it's out can exceed the global out of the comp.

Now, the clip is in, starts at one, but you need frame 4000 to 4026. You only need set the trim in of loader to 4000 and trim out to 4026.
You don't even have to change the global out of comp, just set render range to 1-26.
If you want the renders to start at 4000, then do -3999 offset in the saver (offset option) and fusion will do the rest.
Comp Global in = 1
Loader Global in = 1
Loader Trim in = 4000
Loader Trim out = 4026
comp render range 1-26
saver offset -3999

If I understood you correctly, this should work for you.
Let me know

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 10:15 am

Yes, i understand this and it works.

However problem lies just a bit further - when Client / Director decides to change the shot and add some head and tail..

In that scenario You have to move all animation, what-else to adjust Your timing. And i won't even start with the tracker stuff.
Working TC-wise (like in the N-app) ensures that all animation stays in place in reference to TC frame. So adding 25 frames at the beginning of the shot isn't a problem - plainly speaking You do have a place in the comp.
Yes - as a workaround we can start the comp from 100 (hence the global In / Out in preferences i guess), but then You have make custom re-numbering in the saver.
However there would be an issues with "correct frame no 1845146" - which in Fusion comp has a different number. Also importing tracking / roto from mocha is a bit of pita, because, again, You need a custom re-number to make things works..
Could we have a TC-wise workflow in Fusion, please?

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Ok, starting to see what you are doing.

Before I try to get you a solution, and I will try!, let me see if I got the basics..

You want fusion timeline timecode to be based on the clip, and not the timecode representation of 1-1000, but rather the hour,minutes etc.. of your clip.

Do I have that part correct?

You then want to adjust the timecode in the timeline to be able to add frames from a second before, as an example.

That correct?

This can be done. Does your clip have metadata with timecode?

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 7:08 pm

most of it is correct.

what i want is (based on my example mentioned above) to have TC-numbered files in their respective Composition Timeline frames / TC (it doesn't matter if its hours minutes or frame numbers).

Plainly speaking:
with the sequence 1845142-1845168.dpx i would like to have the Loader positioned accordingly in time - file 1845142.dpx would be a 1845142th frame of Composition Timeline.

Ideally i would love to shift-drag the loader on the TimeRuler, to have it re-timed it automatically (the frames are already in the Trim In / Out field - so this should work). It doesn't work now, because Tool's Global In / Out are "limited" to a number of 1000000 - that is the biggest number they can work with.

The sequence has a metadata ;)

Happy New Year!

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 10:20 pm

Ok, if you want frame number on timeline to match frame number of file sequence and that number is greater than 1000000, then yes. That is a problem, it's also a problem if your numbers are low as it's not the 'way' fusion was designed.

I think what you want is explicit values for everything.
in a perfect world, you would set global values to clip values.

frames 8000000-8500000 would have global in with those exact values. You now are speaking in frames relative to the edit at all times, not just within the clips own timming, but rather the comp is also explicit values based on where that comp lives in the timeline. This 'comp' range is ##-##

In editorial world, this would work by having the effect under/over the clip, all keyframes are there, you add frames to the clip and slide the it to re-align it against it's FX layer.

Am I getting warm?

Marek Subocz

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 12:12 am

not quite sure i understand the whole, but more or less it's on point ;)

keeping up the absolute / explicit file numbering (based on TC) is vital, to make sure we always speak of the same frame. It is possible outside of Fusion (saver re-numbering), but we would need to "re-calculate" the frame number to match it within Fusion comp.

But in tracking / roto app, edit, post-fx-CC and-what-not, the file number is the same.
Only Fusion stands out, sadly... and yes - this has been on community wish-list for a long time :) we're aware of that "design"..

Rony Soussan

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 1:02 am

I can offer any number of solutions, even help with scripts but at the end of the day, what you want to do can't' be done in that manner. Actually, sent you a PM with one.
I do however agree, and I am making a case about it to product manager, especially considering Fusion would benefit from this with Resolve users.

Have a great New Years and thanks for the input.

Rony

Marek Subocz

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 12:28 pm

thanks for the PM
sth like that i already implemented - in the preferences i've Global Start set to 100 to (hopefully) accommodate for the change, with the copy metadata and saverre-numbering ;)

thanks for the input and tips, and glad to know that things are rolling with Fusion!

Return to Fusion