Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

newbie question--files from fusion>resolve

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Bill Nunez

newbie question--files from fusion>resolve

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi,

I am completely new to video work, but have an extensive background in pro audio. I'm learning video strictly as a hobby. I've successfully loaded bmpcc prores footage in resolve and fusion independently...both programs run beautifully on their own. But when I try to move between the programs, things turn sour. I think I solved the problem of moving from resolve to fusion by rendering a tiff file that opened fine in fusion. If I then run that loader node straight into a saver node and render a final output, the resulting file does not playback smoothly in resolve. I've tried the playback smart caching in resolve and several different formats out of fusion (quicktime with "none" for compression, yuv, exr, avi with "none"...). All these options have resulted in files that playback in which the playhead jumps multiple frames, seemingly at random, within resolve. These are little sequences (~300 frames).

It's entirely possible that I am missing something obvious. I've searched the web and tried everything I can think of to no avail. Any thoughts? Thanks! bill
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Davinci Resolve 11, Fusion 7, homebuilt PC/windows 7-64/radeon hd 5570

Bill Nunez

Re: newbie question--files from fusion>resolve

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 4:23 pm

I think I may have this solved, so I'm posting in case it helps someone else. In doing many experiments, it seems that--on my windows pc anyway--resolve really likes prores files and nothing else. As I stated before, it plays bmpcc prores footage like a champ, so I d/l'd some other prores samples and resolve liked them. So, I d/l'd a trial version of footagestudio4k, transcoded some of my output files from fusion, and they played as expected in resolve.

As far as I know, the only other (and much cheaper) option for transcoding to prores on pc is the miraizon prores encoder, but they don't have a trial version. I'm contemplating taking my chances, though. :?

edit: I found a free prog called cliptoolz convert v2. The limitation of the free version is 2 files per session and some advanced scope features. Anyway, so far it works great. If I were a pro, I'd probably spring for the footagestudio4k, as it's a pretty slick program. But for me, I'll take the cheaper and riskier route. :o
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Davinci Resolve 11, Fusion 7, homebuilt PC/windows 7-64/radeon hd 5570

ChrisWilliamson

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 10:10 pm

check out AnotherGUI

http://www.stuudio.ee/anothergui/

That will batch convert files to ProRes for free
animationsbychris.com

Glenn Sakatch

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 7:43 pm

your original problem was probably more based on the fact that you were trying to run uncompressed quicktimes. That takes a lot more muscle in your machine. As you've discovered, compressed files (for the most part) are going to run smoother. Check your stuttering file sizes, and compare them to the size of the prores files. You will probably see a large increase in the size of the stuttering files. Think of that as a weight that you have to lift, and it starts to make sense.

ProRes, DNXHD, maybe even some H264 will probably give you better results. Of course, the issue becomes too much compression, and the picture starts to fall apart.

Return to Fusion