Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Alembic imports

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sacha Nunn

Alembic imports

PostMon Feb 23, 2015 12:31 am

I was hoping to import a motion file from Maya. with a baked in animation ( animation from mocap. ) however when I import the alembic file i can not work out how to link my textures back to the import node. is it possible or am i barking up the wrong tree. FBX and OBJ don't support animated mesh as I can see.
P.s.this mocap is all a bit new to me so take it easy eg don't ask me to write some code. thanks guys and girls.

Kyriakos Rissakis

Re: Alembic imports

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Generally FBX supports animation, maybe it is a matter of ticking the right boxes in import and/ or export options tab.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

FBX supports object transforms, not vertex.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 12:32 pm

I did not even know that "transforming" a point makes sense but then again i do not know much about mocap and Maya, thanks. I' ve seen FBX carrying face transforms and potential poses though.

ChrisWilliamson

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

I'm pretty sure FBX vertex animation is only supported through either bone deformation, morph/blend shape animation or external point caches - it might be that even though the format supports it, fusion doesnt. I just tried importing some morph animation on a face capture and it came in without animation
animationsbychris.com

Sacha Nunn

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks every one. I rendered out most of the layers from Maya. Then imported the alembic mesh for the final compositing. I would have liked to animate the uvmaps in Fusion to get a little more depth in my final result. Not ideal that the textures don't seem to link into an animated mesh. If any one has a work around for future projects I would love to know. p.s the alembic files come in as a spider web from mars it would be great to have more control over import parameters in the future.

Return to Fusion