Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion and cut out animation

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

David Mathis

Fusion and cut out animation

PostTue Feb 24, 2015 2:31 am

A bit of an odd question here. Was curious to know if Fusion would be ideal for cut out animation. Currently using Motion but would like something with a little more power. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rony Soussan

Re: Fusion and cut out animation

PostTue Feb 24, 2015 2:36 am

If you are using bitmaps, it's fine, but Fusion does not have support for illustrator vector file formats, or any other vector other than fonts.
The only way to get that kind of data into Fusion is to use a utility that converts it into a font type.

Pieter Van Houte

PostTue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 am

Might depend on what the level of animation is. Fusion is certainly not built to be a cut out animation tool, and will lack pretty much most features that are common in apps built for that purpose.

That said, I don't know what Motion can pull off, if that's your reference, so there really is only one way to find out... ;)
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

ChrisWilliamson

PostTue Feb 24, 2015 8:13 am

I cant comment on Motion not having used it, but I've done a lot of cut out animation can say that outside from going full 3D, node based compositors are king for cut out animation (I haven't done any in fusion to date, only Toxik and Nuke but the concepts are the same) the advantages you have in instancing nodes, replacing source footage without worrying about stuffing things up because of different frame size/proportions & arbitrarily adding transforms/axis are just massive when doing cut out work.

the first time you set up an offset highlight/shadow with 3 nodes, then instance that across all your characters creating a global lighting setup you will be all like 'oooooh yeeeahhh' :D
animationsbychris.com

ken Turner

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 am

Rony Soussan wrote:If you are using bitmaps, it's fine, but Fusion does not have support for illustrator vector file formats, or any other vector other than fonts.
The only way to get that kind of data into Fusion is to use a utility that converts it into a font type.

erm actually fusion can import vectors from illustrator as .svg files
Fusion tips http://www.designimage.co.uk/category/compositing/fusion/

Vladimir LaFortune

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Are you referring to stop motion animation creation or just comping it? If you want functionality like Dragonframe then you might be able to do it with some BDM external I/O but I could only assume what kind of a mess that would be.

If you are talking about loading image sequence than it's a go.

Return to Fusion