Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

DaVinci Resolve + Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dima Fedotof

DaVinci Resolve + Fusion

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 8:21 am

Hello, there was connection between fusion and avid, will it be with davinci? I mean editing parts of video from davinci with few clicks in Fusion, sorry for my english.

Yuri V. Nemets

Re: DaVinci Resolve + Fusion

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi, Dmitry. The tool you're looking for is Generation (not bundled with free version of Fu). You can import Edl from Resolve right into Generation, and then create comps from clips.

Win Conway

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 am

I would expect tight integration between the apps when Fusion becomes BMD, rught now it is still Eyeon with BMD taped on it hah

ChrisWilliamson

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 am

Yeah it would be brilliant to see something similar to the heiro-nuke integration:

click a button in resolve to create a fusion comp, with the selected clip(s) as a loader, and a saver set up to write a predefined output. maybe resolve generates a proxy of the output, imports it and populates a a VFX timeline track with the proxy. Then whenever you render your comp its already loaded in your resolve timeline (because its just overwritten the proxy)

what would make it even better than the hiero/nuke workflow would be a method of handling transitions between comps, maybe you select 2 vfx track clips, select 'combine' or something and it sets up a new fusion comp, referencing the two previous fusion comps into one new comp that outputs the range of both clips... then if that sat on a new vfx track, would be a totally non destructive workflow.

oh and also if you trim or extend a clip in resolve you should have another button to automatically update the related fusion comps loader & saver with the new range...
animationsbychris.com

Johnny Farmfield

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 6:28 pm

A Resolve implementation like Baselight for Nuke would be really cool and practical, a Resolve-node. So you create one like any other node, then you open the Resolve UI from the node, do your CC, close it and it's set.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Chad Capeland

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 2:45 am

Depends what you use Resolve for. As a color tool, yes, having that as a node in Fusion makes a ton of sense. If you are using Resolve to collect and sequence a set of clips, though, something more like Connection would make sense. But yeah, I can't see this not getting better. There's going to be every reason for BMD to make this into a suite.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Vladimir LaFortune

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Workaround would be to start your project in Generation as dailies, export shots in Fusion to make em purrtier and then export EDL from Generation and load it straight into Resolve.

I would assume that complete free solution to this would be with Assimilate Scratch Play instead of Generation, there is a script to export shot from Scratch straight to Fusion and back just like with Nuke but I'm not sure if it works with Scratch Play.

We do not work much with Resolve due to lack of codec support and overreliance on ProRes.

Return to Fusion