Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

De-vibrate a video without stabilizing?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Thomas Milde

De-vibrate a video without stabilizing?

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 10:55 am

Hi.

I got some videos taken with a gopro out of a helicopter, a real one.
I guess they had the camera lying on the front panel, because there is a slight vibration in the material.

Is there a clever way to reduce or remove the vibration without removing the normal movement of the clip, either in Fusion or maybe Resolve?

Thanks for any available help.
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Johnny Farmfield

Re: De-vibrate a video without stabilizing?

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 am

There really is no beating ProDad Mercalli for this type of thing and the new v4+ looks absolutely amazing with it's improved rolling shutter compensation.

https://www.prodrenalin.com/mercalli-v4-sal-plus/
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Rony Soussan

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 6:40 pm

You need to track the object to get a path, then stabilize the image in place and apply SavitzkyGolayValueFilter to remove jitter, then use the same tracker to de-stabilize the image and it will return the motion, but using a clean jitter free source.

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 8:50 pm

I cannot find smoothing options neither the filter Rony suggest. You will matchmove bg only
(essentially stabilise), copy the tracker and matchmove fg over bg( create a blank background
for this). Now you see the path of the second tracker on the viewer and you may manually
smooth the path(flattening sharp corners with the mouse). Track a sharp feature visible throughout the
shot whiches jitter annoys you the most and repeat the whole process with other feature if
necessary. Of course this method would be more suited for adding jitter by creating sharp
corners but i would give it a try.

Rony Soussan

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Right click on the path in the tool control area, select insert and the filter will be there.
The controls will show up in the modifiers tab.

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks Rony, this is very useful info.

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 3:43 pm

If it's a gopro then you'll probably have to deal with rolling shutter and after smoothing the camera move in Fusion your image will still wobble like crazy.

Mercalli, as suggested above, is nice indeed. For a "proof of concept" solution inside Fusion Studio, here are two Fuses that might be useful as well:

http://www.comp-fu.com/2012/04/correcti ... in-fusion/

http://www.comp-fu.com/2013/01/smoothin ... in-fusion/
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Kyriakos Rissakis wrote:I cannot find smoothing options neither the filter Rony suggest. You will matchmove bg only
(essentially stabilise), copy the tracker and matchmove fg over bg( create a blank background
for this). Now you see the path of the second tracker on the viewer and you may manually
smooth the path(flattening sharp corners with the mouse). Track a sharp feature visible throughout the
shot whiches jitter annoys you the most and repeat the whole process with other feature if
necessary. Of course this method would be more suited for adding jitter by creating sharp
corners but i would give it a try.

You can smooth the spline using a context menu option. I think shift-A is the hotkey.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Thomas Milde

PostMon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Hey, thanks for all the help!

I was skiing this weekend so I couldn't try anything yet, but I will post about success.
Tech:

Johnny Farmfield

PostMon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:If it's a gopro then you'll probably have to deal with rolling shutter and after smoothing the camera move in Fusion your image will still wobble like crazy.

This is why I recommended Mercalli, I got immensely bored with messing about with GoPro and DSLR footage from clients (and sometimes my sorry ass self), stabilising it and it still looks like crap because of rolling shutter issues - if you handle this type of footage continuously, as I do, $299 is a cheap way to keep the tears away.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Thomas Milde

PostTue Mar 10, 2015 5:37 am

I'll keep Mercalli in mind, and it looks good, but right now it's a single job.
If more of these videos appear on my drive, I'll think about spending this money.

I just do non-commercial work at the moment, so it would have to come out of my own pocket. But still thanks for the recommendation.
Tech:

Return to Fusion