Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Compositing CG with Images

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Christopher Rotter

Compositing CG with Images

PostWed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Where can I get information on compositing CG with live background images/sequence ? I know to composite CG into a background image, you must create crude geometry that represent, floors, walls etc of the image but I'm sure there is more that one must know then strictly this ?

Johnny Farmfield

Re: Compositing CG with Images

PostWed Mar 11, 2015 5:23 pm

There is no "must", just a billion ways to achieve the same results. But using a 3D space in compositing is often practical, be it creating holdout mattes, using projection setups for doing object removal, having light interact convincingly with the plate environment, etc... And there's a lot of tutorials on the subject, these are just the first two I ran into doing a search...

*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Anthony Mrad

PostWed Mar 11, 2015 11:07 pm

I highly recommend you rent HCW visual effects for directors. It tells you all you need to know about compositing, VFX, motion capture, ... HCW stands for Hollywood Camera Work. The website has a lot of useful materials

Anthony

Christopher Rotter

PostThu Mar 12, 2015 2:50 am

Johnny - Thanks for the videos, they look very helpful. :)

Anthony - I have HCW: The Master Course which I bought two years ago, I haven't watched the whole thing, there is one thing with the series, that even HCW agreed with, that is the audio is a bit to fast in the series, you will just have to have the remote on hand all the time :)

HCW: Visual Effects for directors looks good, I only have a MP4 4K Smart Phone, I don't think the series is beneficial to people who have this type of equipment, maybe I'm wrong ? :?: :mrgreen:

Anthony Mrad

PostThu Mar 12, 2015 10:10 am

Hehe..You're right about the fast audio in HCW but you also need to see the benefit which is:
more information/second and more information/$

But yeah! a remote control on hand is a must! :D

Cheers

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am

The HCW directors course is to teach how visual effects work in general, not really dependent on what you shoot with, etc... But for a tutorial that covers the exact situation you're at, including a plate shot with a smartphone, this cmiVFX tutorial will cover it pretty thoroughly.

Link: cmivfx.com/store/626-fusion+3d+integration

It's $19.95 but if you use the code "marchmadness" checking out, you get 50% off - at $10 it's an amazing bargain.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Christopher Rotter

PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks Johnny, I will definitely be picking up the cmiVFX tutorial today, thank you again :) I know there are some books equivalent to the HCW directors course as well :)

Return to Fusion