Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Certain elements disappear during render

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Brett Patterson

Certain elements disappear during render

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 3:36 am

Forgive me, I'm new to Fusion and how things are to work.

I've been playing around and was able to import an mp4, transform it using 3D Bender to give it a perspective and render it appropriately. The issue I'm running in to is that certain elements during render (and preview for individual frames) just disappear. The rendering works perfectly fine up until a time and then the foreground items just disappear and the background items are left.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? I have checked keyframes and there are none on any of the disappearing elements, nor does the background become closer than the foreground elements.

I've even added a keyframe at the very end of the mp4 video 3D image plane and that doesn't solve it. When I go to frames after the foreground disappears, I see the 3D renderer show up red (as well as the saver) and the following errors appear in the console:

Code: Select all
Merge3D2 cannot get SceneInput1 at time 280768
Merge3D1 failed at time 280768
Renderer3D1 cannot get Parameter for SceneInput at time 280768
Saver1 cannot get Parameter for Input at time 280768
Saver1 failed at time 280768

I'm not sure what parameter it's looking for or why the 3D merges can't get the input.

Merge3D1 merges the presentation video with the some images of the presentation and the background (final merge before render).
Merge3D2 just merges the intro video and text for this particular video together to create the background for the actual presentation.

Any and all help is appreciated.

merge_overview.png
merge_overview.png (41.82 KiB) Viewed 3998 times

Rony Soussan

Re: Certain elements disappear during render

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 5:25 am

What does the console say?

Brett Patterson

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 am

The console outputs:

Merge3D2 cannot get SceneInput1 at time 280768
Merge3D1 failed at time 280768
Renderer3D1 cannot get Parameter for SceneInput at time 280768
Saver1 cannot get Parameter for Input at time 280768
Saver1 failed at time 280768

Rony Soussan

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 4:39 pm

oops... I thought the code snippet was the the comp code, not pasted text from console. my bad.

Without seeing the comp, the only thing I can think of is the values in your timecode range are out of range for fusion's global time system. Yes, it supports timecode, and yes I know you want to work with explicit timecode numbers, but as of now, you cannot do that with large timecode values.

In the comp, the timeruller does not have to match the frames of the timecode of your source in order to work in timecode.
You can have it in frames, relative timecode etc.. just make sure you pass the metadata of the timecode you want to maintain into copy meta tool (pipe the plate/media that has the good timecode into that before the save and set to copy)

Alternately, it could also mean your footage ran out at that frame, but seeing your screenshot, I think it's more likely the frame range you are using.

Brett Patterson

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Forgive me, but I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to this. If I add a "Copy Metadata" item, what do I need to do?

Do I just need something like: (Loader1 mp4) --> (SetTimeCode1 1:21:00) --> (CopyMetadata1) --> (ImagePlane3D) ? Is that what you're trying to explain to me?

Brett Patterson

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 1:50 am

Bump... as I'm still wondering how to do this. Is what I have below what you are expecting? I set the timecode to be 1:18:37:00 (the exact length of the video).

metadata.png
Flow with metadata inserted before 3D transforms
metadata.png (28.47 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Forget about Set Timecode. It only sets metadata. Your comp is probably failing because the merge's foreground is running out of frames (i.e. BG footage is longer). If you go to the timeline tab, you'll see how long each tool/footage is running for. (use Sel button and select some tools to restrict the view to just the tools you want to examine).

Most important are your loaders.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Brett Patterson

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 2:20 am

Thanks for the hint. I'll start digging around and see what isn't the full length of the video.

Return to Fusion