Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Multiple GPU support?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

LandonParks

Multiple GPU support?

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 6:08 pm

I can't seem to find anywhere if Fusion supports acceleration and 3D Rendering over multiple GPU's in the same case? I know that if it does, they need to match exactly. I just can't find this information anywhere on the forums or in the documentation.

If it does not support multiple GPU's, what about cards that have two GPU's on a single card, such as the GTX 990?

Does the free version of Fusion have any limitations in terms of maximum GPU's supported vs. the paid (like Resolve)?

Joël Gibbs

Re: Multiple GPU support?

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 6:42 pm

If I understood what Steve Roberts said ( I can't remember if it was an email or an article), Fusion does support multi GPU but not really the way I/you would want it. The Renderer3D is not multi GPU... but you can have Fusion use a second GPU to calculate anything that is OpenCL related. So one GPU for the rendererd3D, while the only GPU can crunch numbers on other nodes.
This may be an over simplification, or maybe I didn't understand correctly, but that was what I took away from it.

I don't know about the mulit gpu per card, or Fusion free...sorry.

Chad Capeland

Re: Multiple GPU support?

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 pm

http://www.nvidia.com/content/quadro/ma ... gue_HR.pdf

In short, you get one GPU for OpenCL and one for OpenGL. This requires you to transfer from the OpenCL card back to system memory for display, so you have to disable OpenCL caching, but that's disabled by default anyway. The two things it does is that it allows you to take however long you want on OpenCL tools without locking up your UI, which is great if you have REALLY slow OpenCL tools. The other thing is that you can split the memory needed, and you do less task switching. So that's nice. The downside is, it's only noticeably faster when you have blocking between OpenCL and OpenGL, which only happens when you do simultaneous branching AND there's no CPU bottlenecks in between. If you do a LOT of really heavy OpenGL and OpenCL in the same comp, it's great, though.

Newer versions of OpenCL make it easier to have multiple devices running the same kernels, so it would be nice if Fusion supported multiple GPU's for OpenCL. Also, the Renderer3D's OpenGL renderer already breaks the render up into tiles and passes (and views, if you do stereo or depth of field). So there's a LOT of ways that the OpenGL rendering could be sped up with multiple GPU's. You can't, however easily speed up the 3D Viewers with multiple GPU's without requiring Quadros. If BMD wanted to sell a $9995 version of Fusion, multiple GPU support would be a great feature to add.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion