Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion on Linux using Wine

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jeroen Bollen

Fusion on Linux using Wine

PostMon May 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Going from another topic, which the board apparently prohibits me to link to, quite a few of you actually run Fusion on Linux using Wine. As I find it very impractical to have to reboot between Linux and Windows for different programs, I tried to wine it myself too.

This attempt was without success though. The installation completes fine, but the application gets stuck loading. Is anyone else running Fusion on Wine, and how did you get it to work?

Stefan Ihringer

Re: Fusion on Linux using Wine

PostMon May 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Jeroen Bollen wrote:Going from another topic, which the board apparently prohibits me to link to, quite a few of you actually run Fusion on Linux using Wine. As I find it very impractical to have to reboot between Linux and Windows for different programs, I tried to wine it myself too.

This attempt was without success though. The installation completes fine, but the application gets stuck loading. Is anyone else running Fusion on Wine, and how did you get it to work?

I think you need to post around 5 times until you're allowed to post links.

Anyway, I think the wine thing has to do with previous versions of Fusion (before the acquisition by Blackmagic Design) that had an official Linux version which relied on a custom version of wine for its GUI. I have never heard of somebody trying to run the Windows version via the regular wine. Was this topic on this board or on another one like PigsFly?
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Rony Soussan

PostTue May 05, 2015 10:34 pm

That is correct, it was a very custom version of wine developed by the eyeon team. You can't just run fusion in a standard wine setup.

Jeroen Bollen

PostSun May 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:Was this topic on this board or on another one like PigsFly?

It was this board.

Rony Soussan wrote:That is correct, it was a very custom version of wine developed by the eyeon team. You can't just run fusion in a standard wine setup.

Ah, sucks. I hope BlackMagic will sooner or later also support Linux.

michael vorberg

PostMon May 11, 2015 6:29 pm

the last press release said fusion8 studio will be on win, osx and linux

Jeroen Bollen

PostMon May 11, 2015 7:08 pm

michael vorberg wrote:the last press release said fusion8 studio will be on win, osx and linux

That's one thing to look forward to then! :)

Return to Fusion