Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

OpenCL broken?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Johnny Farmfield

OpenCL broken?

PostTue May 19, 2015 12:03 pm

So I did this setup as a weekend project but as the script grew, me adding more and more OpenGL renderers, I started getting Fusion crashes with the Nvidia driver stating "An application has requested more GPU memory than is available in the system. That application will now be closed." and after doing some troubleshooting, I disabled OpenCL and from there Fusion became rock solid.

And I tried messing about in the settings, I tried several different Nvidia drivers, also tried installing Intel's OpenCL driver, using the CPU as OpenCL device in Fusion, but nothing worked accept disabling OpenCL completely in settings.

So Anyone got a clue about what's going on? I'm in Windows 10 but I really doubt that is the issue, or perhaps it's as easy as the Nvidia Maxwell architecture still lacks support in Fusion as it does in AE? (running a GTX970)

*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Rony Soussan

Re: OpenCL broken?

PostTue May 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Windows 10 is the issue.
I have been testing it on 3 windows 10 machines, all of which have no OpenCL support in Fusion. What I haven't tried is the latest windows 10 certified drivers from Nvidia that they just released a few days ago.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it until windows 10 is a shipping product.

Johnny Farmfield

PostTue May 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Windows 10 is the issue.
I have been testing it on 3 windows 10 machines, all of which have no OpenCL support in Fusion. What I haven't tried is the latest windows 10 certified drivers from Nvidia that they just released a few days ago.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it until windows 10 is a shipping product.

Wow, I was so sure it wasn't the OS. And no, the 352.84 driver for Windows 10 yield the same error.

Well, I have no prob's working around it so I'll live. Thanks for the reply, Rony & keep up the good work. :)
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Ryan Bloomer

PostWed May 20, 2015 1:50 am

I've been having issues with 900 series cards, I'd be interested in testing your troublesome comps in windows 8.1 with a 900 series card and compare it to a 700 series card. I have access to multiple systems with each of these cards if it's something you're interested in testing.

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu May 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Ok, so I think this is kinda fixed in the last version of Windows 10, 10122, and the latest Nvidia drivers, 352.84 - but for using the OCL Rays, you need to turn off caching in the OpenCL preferences or it'll crash Fusion. But stress testing it now, I haven't got any out of memory errors as those described in my initial post.

About OpenCL under AMD, well, that's a can of worms on another level, personally I kept away from them for pro work due to their looong history of bad drivers. :(

Chad Capeland

PostThu May 21, 2015 5:57 pm

OpenCL caching has been dodgy all along. It defaults to being off, I think.

One thing to remember is that there are few times where it would actually be beneficial, since you don't tend to chain OpenCL tools together. And the risk of it doing something bad is pretty high, so other than occasional performance testing, I've always left it off.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion